Recommendation for Husker pre-game/tailgate?

I am a life-long Husker fan from southern California (I grew up in Lincoln). During college at UCLA I was able to convert a roommate of mine to become a Nebraska fan as well. Throughout college we would watch the Huskers together at an LA watering hole. On September 5th we are finally going to attend our first Husker game together against Florida Atlantic.

I haven't been to a game in Lincoln since I was a little kid about twenty years ago. Do you guys have suggestions as to what we should do before the game in order to get the full Nebraska football experience? I especially want my buddy to get a great sense for what a game day in Lincoln is like since I've hyped it up to him over the years.

We will be getting into Lincoln Friday night and the game doesn't start until 6pm; so we'll have plenty of time to do a couple of different things. Are there any establishments in downtown Lincoln that we should visit or should we just bring a cooler and BBQ to the stadium? We'll probably hang out a bit downtown after the game if anyone has any post-game recommendations as well.

Thanks guys. GBR! :cheers

Under the overpass on the west side of the stadium is a great place to tailgate. Get there early, and try to get a spot close to the porta johns cause the lines can get long. Everyone seems to be great and the atmosphere is 2nd to none. The stadium view is great too.

The primary tailgating areas that I have seen are the large parking lots near the Haymarket Park baseball complex NW of the stadium, under the overpass west of the stadium, and the parking lot immediately east of the stadium.

Any of the bars on O street between 9th and 17th are great on game days (Sandy's, Iguanas (free nachos!), Watering Hole, O'Rourkes, Brothers, Main Street, Dillingers, Woodys, etc. etc. etc.). Many people will tell you to go experience the Sidetracks band at Sidetracks bar at roughly 11th and O St. The Haymarket area to the south and west of the stadium also contains several great game day bars (Barry's and NZone come to mind . . .) Anyways, stay in the downtown area and you are sure to have a great time.

There are a couple public lots but fill up very early, but if you get there early and park you can walk to the Hay Market and drink/eat, come back to your car later and tailgate before the game. If you can try to find a parking pass for a lot near the stadium on ebay or somewhere else. Will cost a little more but will make it easier for you, therefore you will enjoy it more especially coming from that far away.

Here's a parking map around the Stadium. Truly the best thing for you to do if you don't wanna buy a parking lot pass is to park downtown in a parking garage or what I'd do is just figure on tailgating and park in the lots over by Hay Market Park(Baseball Field) and walk over the pedestrian bridge to get to the game. I've been over there before and it's alot of fun. You can also get to Hay Market and Downtown from there, just further walk.

Parking Guide

http://www.huskers.com//pdf5/425145.pdf

Game Day Guide

http://www.huskers.com//pdf5/425242.pdf

• 4 weeks later...

There are a couple public lots but fill up very early, but if you get there early and park you can walk to the Hay Market and drink/eat, come back to your car later and tailgate before the game. If you can try to find a parking pass for a lot near the stadium on ebay or somewhere else. Will cost a little more but will make it easier for you, therefore you will enjoy it more especially coming from that far away.

Here's a parking map around the Stadium. Truly the best thing for you to do if you don't wanna buy a parking lot pass is to park downtown in a parking garage or what I'd do is just figure on tailgating and park in the lots over by Hay Market Park(Baseball Field) and walk over the pedestrian bridge to get to the game. I've been over there before and it's alot of fun. You can also get to Hay Market and Downtown from there, just further walk.

Parking Guide

http://www.huskers.com//pdf5/425145.pdf

Game Day Guide

http://www.huskers.com//pdf5/425242.pdf

Thanks for the help. There is not a key or anything on that map. Can anyone park at Haymarket park for a fee or is it only open to donors. I am just looking for a place to tailgate and I have been under the bridge before and that was fun but I think you need a pass to park there. Thank you all for your help

There are reserved areas in the Hay Market Base Ball complex, but most is get there and pay the fee. We did it last year for the Missouri and VaTech game. I think it was 40 bucks. Not bad compared to SC out here where it cost me 400 bucks.

You Owls should set up on the Northwest corner of the HayMarket parking area. We had a huge bunch from VaTech there last year and had a ball with all of them. It is close enough to walk there.

Most of the parking under the bridge is very expensive and now is sold for the year, or at least it was last year.

They actually provide Tents bars and big screen tv's if you want them. But my guess is, that it is to late to get in there.

Have a ball Huskerbruin and all the Owl fans.

We even had fun with the Missouri fans in that area last year.