Where has the in-state talent gone?

Looking at some old recruiting lists, I was amazed at the number of players from the state of Nebraska that we took in each recruiting class. Here are the classes I looked at and the number of players from Nebraska divided by the total recruiting class size (I also included some recruiting class rankings where I could find them):

1980 - 11/25 = 44%

1981 - 9/26 = 35%

1982 - 11/28 = 39%

1983 - 9/22 = 41%

1984 - 6/17 = 35%

1985 - 7/25 = 28%

1986 - 8/20 = 40%

1987 - 8/22 = 36% - SuperPrep #7

1988 - 4/26 = 15% - SuperPrep #24

1989 - 3/23 = 13% - SuperPrep #12

1990 - 7/20 = 35% - SuperPrep #10

1991 - 5/22 = 23% - SuperPrep #28

1992 - 9/24 = 38% - SuperPrep #14

1993 - 7/21 = 33% - SuperPrep #18

1994 - 3/21 = 14% - SuperPrep #20

1995 - 8/28 = 29% - SuperPrep #8

1996 - 5/18 = 28% - SuperPrep #6

1997 - 6/22 = 27% - SuperPrep #19

1998 - 9/21 = 43% - SuperPrep #17

1999 - 7/22 = 32% - SuperPrep #17

2000 - 6/21 = 29% - SuperPrep #15

2001 - 5/19 = 26% - SuperPrep #7

2002 - 7/18 = 39% - Rivals #40

2003 - 5/19 = 26% - Rivals #42

2004 - 5/18 = 28% - Rivals #27

2005 - 3/31 = 10% - Rivals #5

2006 - 4/24 = 17% - Rivals #20

2007 - 3/28 = 11% - Rivals #13

2008 - 6/28 = 21% - Rivals #30

2009 - 2/21 = 10% - Rivals #28

So has Nebraska's talent pool actually shrunk, or are players being overlooked? Osborne and Solich's recruiting classes contained players from such towns as Cambridge, Hershey, Ewing, Lisco, Henderson, Battle Creek, Dewitt, Winnebago, Indianola, Atkinson, Wausa, Hyannis, Duncan, Wood River, Hartington, Farwell, Fort Calhoun, Tecumseh, Laurel, and Yutan. The only small town scholarship player since 2002 has been Micah Kreikemeier who was offered by T.O. (depending on your definition of small town, some of you would probably include Jared Crick as well).

It is hard for me to believe that the talent is down that far from the 17th ranked 1998 class of which 43% was from the state of Nebraska. Is it a function of the rise in popularity of Rivals and Scout, who place so much emphasis on camp performances and surely have never seen most of the kids outside of the metro play? Perhaps as the Huskers have slipped, so has the interest of Nebraska kids in football. I know that there are some who would rather not offer any kids from Nebraska except the annual 4-star player and try to get them all to walk-on. Personally, I think that if we could fill 25% of our classes with quality players from instate, that would benefit the Huskers by generating more excitement among Nebraska high-school players and allow the coaches to concentrate their focus on fewer out-of-state targets. I can just imagine the message board meltdowns though if Pelini were to offer (just as an example) Tyler Evans, Ron Coleman, and Jesse Hinz in addition to Andrew Rodriguez this year.

What is your take?

I think the general decline you've pointed out can be attributed to the proliferation of offenses using the shotgun and 3, 4 or 5 WR sets.

Simply put, the personnel you would use against an I-Formation with 1 TE, 2 RB's and 2 WR's is completely different than what you would use for a shotgun 4 WR's and 1 RB set.

Against a standard I formation a 4-3, with base personnel is a very good counter.

However, against a shotgun 4 WR, 1 RB the D would need to be in a nickel package at least, maybe even dime or quarter depending on the situation: down, distance, time remaining, score, etc.

And let's face it...there's not a lot of super fast CB/DB type of athletes in the state of Nebraska...leastways not the kind that can match up against the kind of WR's that USC, Texas, Florida, Oklahoma, etc can put on the field.

Just my .02.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing Coleman and Hinz get an offer. Evans on the other hand I think we could fill a similar position with a more athletic prospect. It's a lot harder IMO to get skill position guys from nebraska compared to OL or DL. For some reason it just doesn't seem like we produce a whole lot of QB's RB's, DB's or WR's. Who is the last guy that has made a quality (meaning all conference) at the skill position who's also from nebraska? Matt Herian? I'm not even sure he made an all conference team, although he could have in 04'.

there isnt alot of it in the state.. imo all the good athletes are down south. occasionally theres a good few up north. the south is just different because its usually warm all year around and kids are much more athletic, florida for example. kids are more active which makes them more athletic, not like up north where its football time for 6-7 months then sit in the house and watch tv while its cold outside.. nebraska just doesnt have GREAT athletes like the south does, and probably never will. its a complete different level of football.. and you guys know im right, but please lets hear some criticism...

I agree that south on average has more athletes than north. I 100% disagree that you play football 6-7 months out of the year then do nothing the rest of the year. High School kids are going to camps and lifting from May to Late July then start their football from August to late November and sometimes into December and January. After that the majority of the kids play bball or do some type of winter conditioning from January to March. After that they are mostly doing track or still lifting and running. High School kids these days are active and training 12 months out of the year regardless of where you're located. God given talent is another thing when judging overall talent by location.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing Coleman and Hinz get an offer. Evans on the other hand I think we could fill a similar position with a more athletic prospect. It's a lot harder IMO to get skill position guys from nebraska compared to OL or DL. For some reason it just doesn't seem like we produce a whole lot of QB's RB's, DB's or WR's. Who is the last guy that has made a quality (meaning all conference) at the skill position who's also from nebraska? Matt Herian? I'm not even sure he made an all conference team, although he could have in 04'.

In 2003, Matt was a 1st team all-conference selection by either the coaches or the AP and a 2nd teamer by the other (can't remember which). He was a Mackey award semi-finalist, so was essentially one of the 8 best tight-ends in the country that year. He was all-conference honorable mention by both services in 2004. We haven't taken many skill position players since the 2003 class through, but Todd Peterson did well for us over the last couple of years even though he wasn't recognized as all-conference.

I think that there are certainly good enough athletes in Nebraska to at least fill a couple more ships a year. I don't think the talent is nearly as developed though (especially those from smaller towns), and it takes someone with an incredibly good eye for projecting what a player will be like 2-3 years down the road after proper development. T.O. was a master at this, and looks to still be. From all accounts, while many thought Kreikemeier was a marginal prospect at best it appears that he has practiced well enough to likely contribute this year and perhaps do much more than that in the future.

I disagree, I think Evans is the in-stater we should offer. Kid ran a 4.4 on turf and had a 36" vertical at camp. If he was playing safety or wr rather than out of position at qb in Waverly he'd get considerable more attention IMO. He's a legit athlete and he's a good enough student that he's getting offered by Princeton.

I disagree, I think Evans is the in-stater we should offer. Kid ran a 4.4 on turf and had a 36" vertical at camp. If he was playing safety or wr rather than out of position at qb in Waverly he'd get considerable more attention IMO. He's a legit athlete and he's a good enough student that he's getting offered by Princeton.

there isnt alot of it in the state.. imo all the good athletes are down south. occasionally theres a good few up north. the south is just different because its usually warm all year around and kids are much more athletic, florida for example. kids are more active which makes them more athletic, not like up north where its football time for 6-7 months then sit in the house and watch tv while its cold outside.. nebraska just doesnt have GREAT athletes like the south does, and probably never will. its a complete different level of football.. and you guys know im right, but please lets hear some criticism...

I agree that south on average has more athletes than north. I 100% disagree that you play football 6-7 months out of the year then do nothing the rest of the year. High School kids are going to camps and lifting from May to Late July then start their football from August to late November and sometimes into December and January. After that the majority of the kids play bball or do some type of winter conditioning from January to March. After that they are mostly doing track or still lifting and running. High School kids these days are active and training 12 months out of the year regardless of where you're located. God given talent is another thing when judging overall talent by location.

In 2003, Matt was a 1st team all-conference selection by either the coaches or the AP and a 2nd teamer by the other (can't remember which). He was a Mackey award semi-finalist, so was essentially one of the 8 best tight-ends in the country that year. He was all-conference honorable mention by both services in 2004. We haven't taken many skill position players since the 2003 class through, but Todd Peterson did well for us over the last couple of years even though he wasn't recognized as all-conference.

I think that there are certainly good enough athletes in Nebraska to at least fill a couple more ships a year. I don't think the talent is nearly as developed though (especially those from smaller towns), and it takes someone with an incredibly good eye for projecting what a player will be like 2-3 years down the road after proper development. T.O. was a master at this, and looks to still be. From all accounts, while many thought Kreikemeier was a marginal prospect at best it appears that he has practiced well enough to likely contribute this year and perhaps do much more than that in the future.

Yes there are more good football players down South, not because people down South are genetically more inclined to be a better athlete but one because of the shear population difference and the training advantage they have due to the warm weather. I agree with huskers1 that most HS kids in NE or IA are doing something year round, they don't just sit on their duff as Bosnian_Husker77 believes. Many wrestle, play BBall, Baseball, work out, run track, etc. The difference in Texas is that at the big time schools they train specifically for football all year round. Those athletes get fundamentals taught to them in January, February, March, etc. while many kids in NE are still wrestling or playing another sport. They also get strength and conditioning training geared towards football instead of the sport of the season. It makes a difference, they are more prepared to come in and contribute. However the fact that many a walk on or a Northern state recruit has contributed at NU is proof that once you get them into football year round and give them a couple of years to develop, they can and in some cases pass the other recruits.

Look at these players from the roster last year that are from states as far North as NE and obviously aren't from CA or TX or another warm state. Tell me how many of these players either contributed, stared, or will do one of the other by the end of their careers. Joe Ganz (IL), Nate Swift (MN), Todd Peterson (NE), Lance Thorell (NE), Zac Potter (NE), Clayton Sievers (NE), Baker Steinkuhler (NE), Jared Crick (NE), Ty Steinkuhler (NE), Collins Okafor (NE), Sean Fisher (NE), Colton Koehler (NE), Micah Kreikemeier (NE), Tyler Wortman (NE), Mike Caputo (NE), Andy Christensen (NE), Ricky Henry (NE boy by way of ND JUCO), Mike Huff (NE), D.J. Jones (NE), Derek Meyer (NE), Lydon Murtha (MN), Brian Thorson (NE), Dan Titchener (WY), Alex Henery (NE), Matt May (NE), Matt O'Hanlon (NE), Ben Cotton (IA), Dreu Young (NE), Tim Marlowe (OH), Niles Paul (NE). I count 20 players that played last season and the rest will start contributing this year of next year. I didn't even include the additions to this year's roster, nor did I include states that are technically South of NE but still cold weather states like KS, CO, maybe MO, etc.

As I said earlier, I think the reduction in the % of NE players in each recruiting class is because they aren't developed as much so when the staff looks at them as players of course the Southern boys will look better, and chances are because of the larger number of players available the staff can get a good one. Bottom line is that the staff will continue to recruit several NE players a year and try to get those developmental players via preferred walk on status.

Since 1982, the population of Nebraska has gone from 1.5 million to 1.7 million.

Since 1982, the population of Texas has gone from 14 million to 24 million.

Since 1982, the population of California has gone from 24 million to 36 million.

Where would you look for players?

Rhode Island?