Recruiting problems with the 2010 class.

B)-->

QUOTE(Husker B @ Aug 6 2009, 10:15 AM) 449755[/snapback]

You seem to be referencing OU, Texas, LSU, and USC in almost every post in comparison to us, as if we should be in their league with grabbing high level recruits.

We never were. Even in the 90s when we were steamrolling everyone, Florida State was grabbing damn near 5 star recruit that was available.

In the 90's, recruits weren't analyzed as they are now. There were no Rivals or Scout that were dedicated heavily on recruiting. And if they were, I would argue that Nebraska did get some of the top recruits. I would think that they were a top 10-15 class.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Husker B @ Aug 6 2009, 10:15 AM) 449755[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

You seem to be referencing OU, Texas, LSU, and USC in almost every post in comparison to us, as if we should be in their league with grabbing high level recruits.

We never were. Even in the 90s when we were steamrolling everyone, Florida State was grabbing damn near 5 star recruit that was available.

In the 90's, recruits weren't analyzed as they are now. There were no Rivals or Scout that were dedicated heavily on recruiting. And if they were, I would argue that Nebraska did get some of the top recruits. I would think that they were a top 10-15 class.

TO did do a better job recruiting that some would have us believe. In this post, BiggerRed had the Superprep, later became Scout.com I believe?, class rankings from 1987 on until 2002 where he put in rivals rankings. Here is what he had for the TO years, I added 1986 because I found the Superprep Top 25 on another board. I also include 1998 because although he retired right before the class signed, it was essentially an effort he ran.

Where has the in-state talent gone?

1986 - - 8/20 = 40% - Not in the SuperPrep top 25 classes, not sure of overall rank

1987 - 8/22 = 36% - SuperPrep #7

1988 - 4/26 = 15% - SuperPrep #24

1989 - 3/23 = 13% - SuperPrep #12

1990 - 7/20 = 35% - SuperPrep #10

1991 - 5/22 = 23% - SuperPrep #28

1992 - 9/24 = 38% - SuperPrep #14

1993 - 7/21 = 33% - SuperPrep #18

1994 - 3/21 = 14% - SuperPrep #20

1995 - 8/28 = 29% - SuperPrep #8

1996 - 5/18 = 28% - SuperPrep #6

1997 - 6/22 = 27% - SuperPrep #19

1998 - 9/21 = 43% - SuperPrep #17

Average for 1987 to 1998 = 15th

Texas, LSU and Oklahoma are nearly full for this class. They get who they want. USC will get theirs.

60 kids is a lot.

Look, the 2010 class will be the seniors when we play Miami in 14-15. I don't want to see Nebraska get out-matched like they did in 2002 or any other time they have played a top recruiting school.

Again, you lack context. Those same 60 kids rejected tons of other schools. The nature of recruiting dictates there will be more losers than winners.

And frankly, these recruiting services are bunk anyway. Kids get extra stars for committing to USC or LSU or Texas simply because they're USC or LSU or Texas.

We're building a program here. You ever heard the phrase "Rome wasn't built overnight?" Chill out. It's OK.

Texas, LSU and Oklahoma are nearly full for this class. They get who they want. USC will get theirs.

60 kids is a lot.

Look, the 2010 class will be the seniors when we play Miami in 14-15. I don't want to see Nebraska get out-matched like they did in 2002 or any other time they have played a top recruiting school.

Again, you lack context. Those same 60 kids rejected tons of other schools. The nature of recruiting dictates there will be more losers than winners.

And frankly, these recruiting services are bunk anyway. Kids get extra stars for committing to USC or LSU or Texas simply because they're USC or LSU or Texas.

We're building a program here. You ever heard the phrase "Rome wasn't built overnight?" Chill out. It's OK.

Actually, tons of offers go out before the initial ratings are released from the recruiting services. By the time Rivals gets around to rating kids, they already have a nice base of offers to look at to determine the pecking order.

One only needs to look at Shawn Bodtmann to realize the failures of the recruiting services. Right before he was released by Nebraska, Rivals bumped him from a 5.5 3-star to a 5.6 3-star. He moved up in the Pennsylvania state rankings ahead of an offensive lineman who was committed to Penn State and had a Michigan offer. After he was released, no division I school was interested and he signed with Maine.

Didn't Ted Gilmore say that the Huskers had 60 of their A-listers commit to other schools in the month of July. That's pretty alarming.

Have you missed all the other threads where myself and others have said that the "lost 60 a-list commits" comment by Gilmore was not to be taken literally? Do you really think that 60 a-list prospects committed in July? Even if you consider every prospect out there, I doubt 60 committed last month. I suspect Gilmore was exaggerating to make a point.

What if the coaching staff and the "Tom Osborne Way" is scaring away these kids from potentially commiting? What I mean by that is, being too honest. Telling these kids that they are going to have to work hard and earn a spot regardless of what rankings they get from publications. To me, that would sound unattractive compared to another coach telling me that I can start right away, or I can get to the NFL with their system. If this is the case, I think the staff needs to change their approach. I'm not saying go into a living room and lie to the recruit, but kind of sugar coat it a little bit.

If we end up with a class of kids who aren't afraid of competition or hard work, is that such a bad thing? I know everyone is worked up about star ratings and who we beat out for this recruit or that recruit, but waiting to see how this approach manifests itself on the field in 2-3 years makes sense to me.

It wouldn't be bad. But "effort kids" aren't going to be able to beat OU and Texas.

I agree

Adam Carriker was a 3 star and I think Jared Tomich was a walk on..... they could certainly compete. All 5 stars do not pan out but some no-stars or low stars do pan out. I think with the right attitude and work ethic these kids all have a chance to better themselves and compete. Nebraska has had MANY players that were ranked low and turned out to be unforgettable. It's just a wait and see game.

Personally, I love to see kids go to programs they have spent their lives dreaming about. The motivation, desire and perseverance can't get any better than that.

:hellloooo:hellloooo

According to a preseason magazine,(forgot which one) out of the top 100 H.S. prospects that they have listed, only one.........ONE............JUST ONE...........prospect has Nebraska as a school of interest.

You are getting way too upset about this.

From 2006-2009 (two Callahan classes and two Pelini classes), we have gotten exactly two Rivals top 100 prospects - Niles Paul and Baker Steinkuhler. It's not like we were raking in top 100 prospects under Callahan, except for in 2005.

With Andrew Rodriguez already verballed, we are ahead of the curve in top 100 prospects.

According to a preseason magazine,(forgot which one) out of the top 100 H.S. prospects that they have listed, only one.........ONE............JUST ONE...........prospect has Nebraska as a school of interest.

:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh

:ahhhhhhhh:bang:ahhhhhhhh:bang:ahhhhhhhh

:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh:bang:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh

:ahhhhhhhh:bang:ahhhhhhhh:bang:ahhhhhhhh

:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh

:ahhhhhhhh