Recruiting problems with the 2010 class.

What if the coaching staff and the "Tom Osborne Way" is scaring away these kids from potentially commiting? What I mean by that is, being too honest. Telling these kids that they are going to have to work hard and earn a spot regardless of what rankings they get from publications. To me, that would sound unattractive compared to another coach telling me that I can start right away, or I can get to the NFL with their system. If this is the case, I think the staff needs to change their approach. I'm not saying go into a living room and lie to the recruit, but kind of sugar coat it a little bit.

What if the coaching staff and the "Tom Osborne Way" is scaring away these kids from potentially commiting? What I mean by that is, being too honest. Telling these kids that they are going to have to work hard and earn a spot regardless of what rankings they get from publications. To me, that would sound unattractive compared to another coach telling me that I can start right away, or I can get to the NFL with their system. If this is the case, I think the staff needs to change their approach. I'm not saying go into a living room and lie to the recruit, but kind of sugar coat it a little bit.

If we end up with a class of kids who aren't afraid of competition or hard work, is that such a bad thing? I know everyone is worked up about star ratings and who we beat out for this recruit or that recruit, but waiting to see how this approach manifests itself on the field in 2-3 years makes sense to me.

If we end up with a class of kids who aren't afraid of competition or hard work, is that such a bad thing? I know everyone is worked up about star ratings and who we beat out for this recruit or that recruit, but waiting to see how this approach manifests itself on the field in 2-3 years makes sense to me.

It wouldn't be bad. But "effort kids" aren't going to be able to compete with OU and Texas on a consistant basis.

It wouldn't be bad. But "effort kids" aren't going to be able to compete with OU and Texas on a consistant basis.

It wouldn't be bad. But "effort kids" aren't going to be able to beat OU and Texas.

I agree

You cant beat out OU and Texas in getting the high profile athletes until you can beat them on the field. We made strides towards getting where we want to be at last year, but by no means our we on the same level as the big boys. Let coach Bo and Company do their thing and get guys that want to be there and know how to work. He did wonders with one of the worst defenses in the nation last year. Give him a few years to get his recruits in here that fit what are defense is trying to accomplish. Then as we get more wins we can maybe pull a few of the guys OU and Texas are going after.

So, you think the reason why we only have 4 commits is because Bo and Co. are telling kids that they will have to earn their spots?

It wouldn't be bad. But "effort kids" aren't going to be able to beat OU and Texas.

Wake Forest is full of "effort kids". Their Rivals rankings since 2002 have been: 77, 57, 95, 65, 75, 89, 58

Florida State's Rivals rankings since 2002 have been: 4, 21, 3, 2, 3, 21, 9

There is no way that Wake Forest has won the head-to-head the last three years in a row, right?

So, you think the reason why we only have 4 commits is because Bo and Co. are telling kids that they will have to earn their spots?

"Part" of the reason.........yes I do. For the reasons stated above.

I totally agreew swmo. Cmon guys... getting all these highly touted recruits is NOT going to like a magical band aid that automatically fixes our problems and allows us to compete with OU n Texas. We've had solid recruiting classes the last few years, and have NOT been that far off beating those teams with the kids we have (with the exceptions being OU the last two years). Remember how gosh dang close we were to beating Texas two years in a row? In 2006, all Terrence Nunn had to do was hold onto that last catch and we coulda wound the clock down. In even that woeful 07 campaign, they had NO IDEA what they were doing for the first three quarters. They tried to pass the whole game and wound up running (gashing us) only when McCoy got shaken up. We last by 2 and 3 in the respective games. In the big 12 championship, we only lost by 2 touchdowns... who know how differently that game ( or last years game, for that matter) if we hadn't spotted them a damn touchdown on the first play with a horribly called screen pass. Seriously though, we all love Wats but how many games have we started with that damn play? I like it. It gains yards, we just can't use it so predictably like that. And in 05, wwe only dropped the OU game by 7. My point... I think we CAN compete with both teams on the field, but NEED TO STOP SHOOTING OURSELVES IN THE FOOT and help ourselves.

Furthermore, on recruiting, Bo's put together two solid, if unspectacular classes. We have yet to put together a top 25, but haven't fallen past the Top 30 mark. Bo and the entire staff, with the exception of maybe Ek and Pap, who have proven to be quite good recruiters, have been around. A while. They know what needs to be done recruiting wise. And they're being supervised by Dr. Tom, guys. Don't panic yet... they'll get it done, just like every other year.

Wake Forest is full of "effort kids". Their Rivals rankings since 2002 have been: 77, 57, 95, 65, 75, 89, 58

There is no way that Wake Forest has won the head-to-head the last three years in a row, right?

<sarcasm>What? Using actual facts to backup an argument? How dare you, sir!</sarcasm> But people are going to poo-poo your argument because FSU hasn't been as good as those rankings say they "should" be. It will be ironic because that actually strengthens the point you're making.

Somebody said that "effort kids" aren't going to beat OU and UT. My question is, "Why not?" Over the last 4 years, OU has lost to: UT, Florida, CU, TTech, West Virginia, Oregon, Boise St., TCU, and UCLA. Are all of those teams more talented than the Sooners? Over the last 4 years, UT has lost to: TTech, KSU, OU, A&M, and Ohio St. The most interesting is losing to both KSU and A&M in both 2006 and 2007 - those teams were hardly as talented as the Longhorns.

I would like to think that our expectations as Husker Nation are a bit higher than Wake Forest's. The ACC is sorry.

And as far as FSU goes, Bobby Bowden expired at least 4 years ago.

I would like to think that our expectations as Husker Nation are a bit higher than Wake Forest's. The ACC is sorry.

And as far as FSU goes, Bobby Bowden expired at least 4 years ago.

So what are you arguing about exactly, coaching talent or recruiting standards. You say that the current class isn't going very well and that "effort" kids can't beat OU or UT, I take the second statement to mean that you don't think that the Top 30 classes the staff has pulled in over the last couple of years isn't good enough to beat OU and UT simply because they don't have enough talent in them. I think Biggerred just debunked your theory. He is showing that one of the best recruiting schools around, FSU, is putting a ton more talent on the field yet getting beat 3 straight years in a row by a well coached team full of "effort" players.

<sarcasm>What? Using actual facts to backup an argument? How dare you, sir!</sarcasm> But people are going to poo-poo your argument because FSU hasn't been as good as those rankings say they "should" be. It will be ironic because that actually strengthens the point you're making.

Somebody said that "effort kids" aren't going to beat OU and UT. My question is, "Why not?" Over the last 4 years, OU has lost to: UT, Florida, CU, TTech, West Virginia, Oregon, Boise St., TCU, and UCLA. Are all of those teams more talented than the Sooners? Over the last 4 years, UT has lost to: TTech, KSU, OU, A&M, and Ohio St. The most interesting is losing to both KSU and A&M in both 2006 and 2007 - those teams were hardly as talented as the Longhorns.

It's not about just beating OU or UT once or twice like the teams that you mentioned. It's about Nebraska establishing themself as a Big 12/National powerhouse once again and be able to compete with the likes of UT and OU year after year.

I think pretty much every big time coach out there tells kids the same thing. You come in, work hard, and you'll see the field. I doubt there is that much promising out there other than perhaps a skill position like QB or RB where both the coach and the recruit knows they can come in and contribute right away.