Phillip Dillard?

I found an email from a friend that gave me a thumbnail sketch of what Carl P. said at the Wichita picnic and this snipit is in re: Dillard =

No, Philip Dillard is not in Carl's doghouse. It is a mattter of working hard (which Carl says he is), executing as expected, and lastly putting the best player on the field. Carl is all for Dillard winning his job back.

Article said he dropped about 20 pounds down to 230.....he says he feels great

Your right.

Dont fall asleep on Phillip. he may surprise us.

Only if you believed Phil was ever the 5th best LB on the team. I don't care what load Bo was feeding the media, Dillard is our most physicaly imposing and experienced LB. It would be a mistake not to utilize a 5th year senior of his caliber. A mistake right up there with the way NU utilized Bobby Newcombe during his senior year.

I suspect this "demotion" had more to due with keeping a spark lit under his backside, and to instill a sense in the rest of the team (especially the D) that if you didn't give 100% effort you could easily lose your spot to the next guy.

Your right.

Only if you believed Phil was ever the 5th best LB on the team. I don't care what load Bo was feeding the media, Dillard is our most physicaly imposing and experienced LB. It would be a mistake not to utilize a 5th year senior of his caliber. A mistake right up there with the way NU utilized Bobby Newcombe during his senior year.

I suspect this "demotion" had more to due with keeping a spark lit under his backside, and to instill a sense in the rest of the team (especially the D) that if you didn't give 100% effort you could easily lose your spot to the next guy.

Ladies and gentlemen, feast your eyes on the winning answer! That was exactly the case. And thank God it's working so far. I'd hate for this guy to flame out in his senior year. He still might, but by all indications, it appears that he won't go out without a good fight.

Your right.

Ladies and gentlemen, feast your eyes on the winning answer! That was exactly the case. And thank God it's working so far. I'd hate for this guy to flame out in his senior year. He still might, but by all indications, it appears that he won't go out without a good fight.

http://huskerextra.com/articles/2009/08/09...32404003714.txt

Dillard said Saturday he wasn’t surprised by the demotion.

“I’m the one who came in and didn’t do exactly what (the coaches) asked of me,” he said. “It’s not like I was in trouble with the law or anything like that. I just didn’t handle my business as a man should, and I got punished for it."

The 6-foot-1 Dillard weighed 248 pounds in the spring, he said, and is now down to 234.

Dillard took issue with the notion he was ever in Nebraska head coach Bo Pelini’s “doghouse.” Whatever the case, he’s starting preseason drills with what appears to be a bright outlook. He spent time with the first string Saturday, as the linebackers rotated from unit to unit.

“We’ll see how it goes,” Husker linebackers coach Mike Ekeler said. “Time will tell. Spring ball was spring ball. This is a whole new deal. Everybody’s got a clean slate.”

From NE Statepaper

Still, Nebraska’s army of assistants were ready with tables of Gatorade, water and chocolate protein shakes just before the skywalk entrance back to the locker room. The bigger Huskers, especially the offensive and defensive linemen, lumbered through the Hawks Center.

One guy who wasn’t: senior middle linebacker Phillip Dillard, who lost 15 pounds over the summer and declared himself, “in the best shape of my life.” It was Dillard, remember, who fell to the bottom of the depth chart after reporting to spring camp at 250 pounds.

“After today, I might be at 229,” Dillard joked as sweat ran into his eyes. “I felt good out there. I’m not tired. I wasn’t breathing hard or nothing. Normally I’d get in the cold tub, but I feel great.”

Dillard’s change in attitude is reflective of a whole summer of accountability, which Pelini said he’ll empathize again in fall camp.