USA Coaches POLL 2009

It is nice to have the Huskers in the top 25 again. If, and it is a big if, how far does NU jump if they knock off Va-Tech? Maybe I am thinking too far ahead....

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me at all if, given the wussiness of our games leading up to VaTech, that even if we're 2-0, we might drop out of the top 25.

....? Compared to the wussiness of, say, Florida's games? Or Texas'? Or Penn State's?

Have you looked at the non-conference schedules of the preseason top 25 teams? Ours isn't anything to write home about, but it's on par with about 20 other teams.

I say that because there's always some team who starts unranked, suddenly gets hot, and everyone's all over them early on in the season. Eventually they'll flare out and vanish into obscurity. Case in point, East Carolina last year.

KU isn't there and ND is 23rd...what a surprise

I understand some of the reasoning behind Notre Dame being ranked in the top 25 (i.e. Clausen, even though he still hasn't showed that he is better than average). At the same time, however, it is completely ridiculous. They beat a struggling Michigan team, lost to a terrible Syracuse team (which put us into the Gator Bowl), got trounced by USC, and beat a poor Hawaii team. Not to mention they finished 7-6 and barely made bowl eligibility. It's a joke to have them in there above other teams who deserve it more.