WR Keith Mumphery

Scout: "Keith Mumphery has scheduled an official visit to Michigan State on Oct. 3 when the Spartans host Michigan. “I think I’d like the atmosphere at Michigan State,” Mumphery said. “I’m on-line all the time and it seems like a good place. I’ve checked out their website and even checked them out on Google Maps. It seems like a nice area.” Mumphery says the Spartans are recruiting him the hardest."

I'm going to this game and will make a point to find Keith and tell him he needs to be a Husker not a Spartan. I'll let ya'll know..... :)

we want pictures :hellloooo

I'll see what I can do!

no, that's a ncaa violation.

Scout: "Keith Mumphery has scheduled an official visit to Michigan State on Oct. 3 when the Spartans host Michigan. “I think I’d like the atmosphere at Michigan State,” Mumphery said. “I’m on-line all the time and it seems like a good place. I’ve checked out their website and even checked them out on Google Maps. It seems like a nice area.” Mumphery says the Spartans are recruiting him the hardest."

I'm going to this game and will make a point to find Keith and tell him he needs to be a Husker not a Spartan. I'll let ya'll know..... :)

we want pictures :hellloooo

I'll see what I can do!

Talking to someone is a NCAA violation these days? How so?

B)-->

QUOTE(Husker B @ Sep 30 2009, 06:59 AM) 479186[/snapback]

Talking to someone is a NCAA violation these days? How so?

http://www.huskerboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16811

Because of the ease in which people communicate online with each other today, we thought an educational message is appropriate to clear up any confusion that exists about contacting recruits.

NCAA rules and regulations are complex to say the least, but one area that is completely straightforward is fan communication with recruits. If any fans, boosters, alumni (or any other supporters) of Nebraska has any contact (e.g., in-person, instant message, text message, e-mail, fax, etc.) whatsoever with a recruit there are could be serious consequences such as:

The University of Nebraska would have an NCAA violation to report to the NCAA enforcement staff;

The recruit would become ineligible to participate in athletics at Nebraska, and before any of our coaches could continue to contact the recruit, we would have to rule him/her ineligible and then seek reinstatement through the NCAA office; and

The fan/booster/alumni involved could jeopardize their standing with the University of Nebraska athletic department

Because of the ease in which people communicate online with each other today, we thought an educational message is appropriate to clear up any confusion that exists about contacting recruits.

NCAA rules and regulations are complex to say the least, but one area that is completely straightforward is fan communication with recruits. If any fans, boosters, alumni (or any other supporters) of Nebraska has any contact (e.g., in-person, instant message, text message, e-mail, fax, etc.) whatsoever with a recruit there are could be serious consequences such as:

The University of Nebraska would have an NCAA violation to report to the NCAA enforcement staff;

The recruit would become ineligible to participate in athletics at Nebraska, and before any of our coaches could continue to contact the recruit, we would have to rule him/her ineligible and then seek reinstatement through the NCAA office; and

The fan/booster/alumni involved could jeopardize their standing with the University of Nebraska athletic department

So your telling me if I yell -- Keith/Tejay, you'll look much better in Husker red than Spartan green - from the stands at MSU....the NCAA is going to come down on us like they've to John Calipari (at every school he's been to). Ridiculous.

Maybe I'll write it in a note instead and throw it at them -- of course, signed by anonymous Spartan fan. Does that work?

I could be wrong here, but I think that if the NCAA got wind of NU fans specifically recruiting for their team they could levvy sanctions on the school. I doubt the sanctions would be severe in nature, but it is a rule for a reason (boosters and such would take advantage of the fan exception if it were not enforced). All it would take would be for some rivals or scout reporter to ask a kid what made him choose Nebraska and have him say that he loved the passion of the fans and how he had fans come up to him and lobby for him to go to NU at a Michigan State game.

Does anyone have any idea what kind of sanctions something like this would garner? Perhaps that player would just become ineligible at NU or something like that? Anyone?

So your telling me if I yell -- Keith/Tejay, you'll look much better in Husker red than Spartan green - from the stands at MSU....the NCAA is going to come down on us like they've to John Calipari (at every school he's been to). Ridiculous.

Maybe I'll write it in a note instead and throw it at them -- of course, signed by anonymous Spartan fan. Does that work?

I'm pretty sure I can talk to anyone on this planet about how great my football team and school are, without the NCAA coming after the school.

I don't represent the school, am not stuffing money in their jacket, and don't have anything to offer other than a kind word. The NCAA do not have thought police, yet.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Husker B @ Sep 30 2009, 01:58 PM) 479431[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

I'm pretty sure I can talk to anyone on this planet about how great my football team and school are, without the NCAA coming after the school.

I don't represent the school, am not stuffing money in their jacket, and don't have anything to offer other than a kind word. The NCAA do not have thought police, yet.

Message from the Nebraska Athletic Department Compliance Staff:

On behalf of the University of Nebraska student-athletes, we are so thankful to have your support as we continue to build championship teams in every sport.

The fan/booster/alumni involved could jeopardize their standing with the University of Nebraska athletic department.

We know that fans of Nebraska are the most dedicated and supportive in the country so please if you have any questions about NCAA rules, contact our office at anytime at 402.472.2042 or e-mail compliance@huskers.com

Thank you for helping Nebraska Athletics stand by our building blocks of TRADITION, TEAMWORK, and INTEGRITY.

Josh White

Director of Compliance

University of Nebraska

That comes right from this site. http://www.huskerboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16811

B)-->

QUOTE(Husker B @ Sep 30 2009, 01:58 PM) 479431[/snapback]

Why even begin to put the school at risk? Even if the NCAA doesn't police it yet, why take a chance? Go to the game and watch, wear your Husker gear, but don't talk to the kid. You actually think you'd make a difference anyway?

:wtf

Do we honestly believe that the rule is this anal. As far as that rule "reads" we are to give every recruit on the sideline a cold shoulder!

There is nothing wrong with making conversation in passing with a recruit. I came from a town that produced a Husker player, he was faced with a lot of pressure from people in town to go to NU and not think of other schools. This is probably the case with most "in-state" recruits.

The punishment would've been handed down already if it will ever be. Say "Hi to the kid along with whatever comment you wish" but leave the wad of cash at home!

Have some fun people!!!

No, you can talk to the kid, its called the "walk by rule" basically it means that if a normal situation comes up, such as you were walking by a kid or he was walking by you, that you can in fact talk to him in a "normal way".

I have coached for 10 years, including a few guys currently on the skers this year, coaches always use this rule with no problems and a fan can use it with zero problems at all ever, assuming you dont put a wad of 100's in the kids pocket.

Also, with regards to the compliance post, yes that is true but no its not "real", its a threat but the NCAA cant do anything and to many fans from other schools would just make fake accounts, facebook a kid as a husker fan and then report the violation even though they are really mizzo fans or tide fans or whatever.

So what if you are friends with a player that is being recruited by Nebraska and you talk to him about going to Nebraska. Is that illegal too??

The NCAA has some ridiculous rules.

No, you have an established prior relationship.

As far as the no harm in making conversation piece, there's a difference between saying hi and seeking out a kid at a game to tell him he should go to school somewhere. If I was a recruit, and some random guy approached me I'd tell them to leave me the hell alone and go get a life, but that's just me.

No, you can talk to the kid, its called the "walk by rule" basically it means that if a normal situation comes up, such as you were walking by a kid or he was walking by you, that you can in fact talk to him in a "normal way".

I have coached for 10 years, including a few guys currently on the skers this year, coaches always use this rule with no problems and a fan can use it with zero problems at all ever, assuming you dont put a wad of 100's in the kids pocket.

Tell that to Bill Self

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/bl...rn=ncaab,135642

If the NCAA really policed such a thing, every university in the league would be hit on every kid that plays football. Sure, the possibility exists, but lets be real here. The NCAA isnt going to start a probe because I said "Hi there, hope you come play for us next year."

Stop blowing this up bigger than it is.