Bad news

Broderick Hunter nor Wallace Franklin, both WR, will be attending NU this fall. They did not make the grade. Supposedly they might room together at Butler, possibly.

That sucks, especially at WR. How likely are they to return to NU after CC?

Broderick Hunter nor Wallace Franklin, both WR, will be attending NU this fall.  They did not make the grade.  Supposedly they might room together at Butler, possibly.

That sucks, especially at WR. How likely are they to return to NU after CC?

Odds are always slim. Hopefully, they won't. My thinking is NU will be able to recruit better WR and therefore these guys wont even be offered again.

No worries... We still have Hardy and Brooks coming in! Those 2 guys are going to be studs and probably will be playing on Sundays someday! Along with Nunn and Fluellen and a couple QBs who can hit targets, we'll be just fine at WR.

Only thing that sucks is, I wonder if we didn't get commits from Franklin and Hunter, if that would have given us a better shot at Nyan Boateng. I have a feeling he is going to be a star. Watch some of his video if you don't believe me...he is sick.

The Gimp has spoken.

Only thing that sucks is, I wonder if we didn't get commits from Franklin and Hunter, if that would have given us a better shot at Nyan Boateng. I have a feeling he is going to be a star. Watch some of his video if you don't believe me...he is sick.

The Gimp has spoken.

No way, I don't think Boateng will be near as good as Brooks. It took him over a year to recover from a broken leg and he's going to Florida where their receiving corps are somewhat deep right now and they're only gonna get deeper with the kids that Meyer will bring in. Sometimes players get rated nicely as juniors and don't reproduce as seniors. Boateng didn't even have a senior season. I think his best days may be on the basketball court.

Nebraska football loses one recruit, maybe two

BY STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star

Wallace Franklin, a touted recruit in Nebraska's class of 2005, will begin his football career in junior college instead of in Lincoln.

The 6-foot-2, 170-pound Franklin, a wide receiver from Beaumont, Texas, said Monday he failed to achieve the minimum required score on his SAT and will enroll next month at Butler County (Kan.) Community College.

"At first I was disappointed," Franklin said. "Then I had to tell myself that it happened for a reason, and now I have to move on."

Franklin said he plans to enroll at Nebraska in 2007 after completing course requirements at Butler.

Another wide receiver in Nebraska's 2005 class, Brodrick Hunter of Humble, Texas, may eventually join Franklin at Butler, said Grizzlies offensive coordinator Aaron Flores.

"Nebraska's dealing with Brodrick's situation right now," Flores said Monday night. "I've talked to Nebraska's coaches, and I know what will happen if Brodrick does go to a juco. But nothing's official."

Butler has received a signed national letter of intent from Franklin, but not from Hunter, Flores said.

Both originally signed with Nebraska on Feb. 2.

In mid-February, though, reports surfaced that Franklin planned to play for Butler. At that time, Franklin denied the reports, saying he would attend Nebraska even if he didn't initially qualify academically.

Franklin last season caught 14 passes for 300 yards and seven touchdowns for 8-4 Ozen High School. He was ranked by Rivals.com as the No. 62 wideout prospect in the nation.

He also intercepted five passes last season, and Nebraska was considering trying him at one of the safety positions.

The 6-1, 215-pound Hunter, meanwhile, had 38 catches for 939 yards and 11 touchdowns last season, including a school-record 98-yard reception. He also rushed 28 times for 286 yards and a pair of touchdowns. Rivals.com listed him as the nation's No. 40 wideout prospect.

"At first I was disappointed," Franklin said. "Then I had to tell myself that it happened for a reason, and now I have to move on."

Wallace, it happened because you somehow were not intelligent enough to pass the SAT. Well done. It takes a lot of work to flunk the SAT, but you did it!

Makes you wonder if that's why the staff went out and got Spain and Hardy?

Gotta have a backup plan...methinks you are right on with this one...my sources tell me that's one reason this class was so big...and that's why many coaches recruit that way, because they know there are some who won't qualify, if my info is correct.

• 2 weeks later...

Bryan Wilson is out as well. He has unfinished work that has yet to be completed and wont be done in time to join the team. Chalk up another loss. So far, Wilson, Brodrick Hunter, Wallace Franklin and Jordan Picou wont be here this fall and Rodney Picou could very well end up not finishing in time. Whoever doesn't show up by the end of this week for summer conditioning wont see the scarlet and cream this fall.

Here's why you got to recruit well every year. There will be others who won't adjust to college life, others who will break team rules, others who won't practice hard enough, others who will struggle academically, others who will get injured. At least half of these recruits may never play a down of football -- the law of numbers. So even though it may appear that certain positions have more than enough talent, in reality, you can never have enough. The coaches know that, and they will keep plugging away at getting more great talent. It will probably take three or four recruiting classes to get the program back on track.

Bryan Wilson is out as well. He has unfinished work that has yet to be completed and wont be done in time to join the team. Chalk up another loss. So far, Wilson, Brodrick Hunter, Wallace Franklin and Jordan Picou wont be here this fall and Rodney Picou could very well end up not finishing in time. Whoever doesn't show up by the end of this week for summer conditioning wont see the scarlet and cream this fall.

The jury is still out on him. He just might have a chance.