practice report from Friday

NU practice report: Helu has high praise for Castille

Opening statement

“He’s giving us a vision of the type of backs we could be, and I bought into it.”

— Roy Helu on running backs coach Tim Beck

Perhaps Nebraska junior I-back Roy Helu was just being humble. Still, his comments about fellow junior running back Quentin Castille on Friday were telling.

“He’s a better player than me right now and has been for awhile,” Helu said. “Obviously we have different types of roles, but he’s very athletic.”

The 6-foot, 217-pound Helu rushed for 803 yards last season, averaging 6.4 per carry, while Castille rushed for 467 yards (4.4 yards a pop).

Asked to elaborate on his admiration of Castille, Helu said, “Oh, man, he’s really good. Pass protection, he’s awesome. He wires his hands. His biggest thing was holding onto the ball, and he’s done that. He’s become more of a complete player. He hasn’t fumbled once in fall camp.”

Helu said Castille entered preseason camp “fit and ready to go.”

“The intensity he brings to the game really helps me push myself," Helu said. “I mean it, he’s really good. This season you’ll see.”

Helu and Castille have become pretty close during the off-season, Helu said.

“I knew Quentin last year like you guys (the media) knew him,” Helu said. “But this summer has been the biggest growing experience in his life. The spring was for my life. So it kind of went hand-in-hand. We both talked about stuff we were learning. He’s one of my best friends.”

Helu was back at practice the past two days after missing some time earlier in the week with a tight hamstring. He said he’s 100-percent now.

Castille, meanwhile, has sat out the past two days, watching the first of two Friday practices in shorts and a jersey. Bo Pelini was not available to the media today to say what has Castille sidelined.

Paula starter: Wide receivers coach Ted Gilmore said Friday that junior Niles Paul is “no question” a starter.

The battle continues, though, for others. Gilmore said some players have separated themselves, while some are “still teeter-tottering back and forth.”

Antonio Bell, Chris Brooks, Khiry Cooper, Curenski Gilleylen, Menelik Holt and Brandon Kinnie are among players challenging for spots, Gilmore said.

Menelik is training at both the ‘X’ receiver and the Zebra.

“He’s had a lot better fall camp than he did in the spring,” Gilmore said, noting Holt dropped too many contested balls in the spring. “He’s got to understand he’s a big-bodied guy, he’s not going to run away from everybody, so there’s going to be people around him. He’s got to body up and got to make those plays for us, make those catches.”

No-huddle work: Nebraska has worked this week on its no-huddle offense. The constant running with no substituting meant some tired legs for the receivers, Gilmore said.

“It’s a lot of running for us, as you can imagine, especially if we’re throwing the ball,” he said. “So we’ve still got to learn how to be detailed in our route running and our assignments. When we’re tired, we’ve got to focus.”

Cornerback conversation: Who’s winning the race at cornerback?

“I think there are about four or five guys that can help us win football games,” secondary coach Marvin Sanders said. “You look at Anthony West, Dejon Gomes, Prince Amukamara and Alfonzo Dennard, that’s a good situation to be in, so hopefully this thing will work itself out by the time the game comes.”

Gomes is a junior, but also a newcomer from the JUCO ranks. At this point, Sanders said “there are no plans on redshirting him. He’s a guy that’s competing for a job.”

Thenarse progressing: Rickey Thenarse worked as the No. 1 free safety with Matt O’Hanlon sitting out Friday. Sanders said he likes the depth developing at safety with Larry Asante, O’Hanlon and Thenarse, who the coach said has shown “dramatic improvements.”

Thenarse has improved, Sanders said, because of his patience, “and letting the system come to him instead of always trying to push the issue.”

Scouting report: WR Antonio Bell

Gilmore said Bell, a true freshman who arrived in Lincoln in time to participate in spring practices, is among those receivers in the mix for playing time this fall.

Bell has improved with his blocking — particularly, understanding the importance of blocking.

“This spring, he didn’t want to have anything to do with it,” Gilmore said. “He looked at me like I had two heads. Now, I’ve got one but I still might have three eyes.

“But he’s coming. He’s coming, and he’s working at it.”

Checking The Meter

How’d Friday’s first practice rank on the practice meter?

Secondary coach Marvin Sanders said players showed a lot of enthusiasm.

“We’re way ahead of where we were last year, of course, but we’re still far from where we want to finish,” Sanders said.

— Brian Christopherson, Steven M. Sipple and Brian Rosenthal

http://www.huskerextra.com/articles/2009/0...35458497323.txt

Asked to elaborate on his admiration of Castille, Helu said, “Oh, man, he’s really good. Pass protection, he’s awesome. He wires his hands. His biggest thing was holding onto the ball, and he’s done that. He’s become more of a complete player. He hasn’t fumbled once in fall camp.”

That's great to hear.

That's great to hear.

DUDE I LOVE YOUR SIG HUSKERSNOW...........FREAKIN SWEET :thumbs

Gomes is a junior, but also a newcomer from the JUCO ranks. At this point, Sanders said “there are no plans on redshirting him. He’s a guy that’s competing for a job.”

Glad to hear it. Gomes is one newcomer I thought might make a contribution. Great size/speed for a CB.

Nothing on Mendoza? I sure hope they find a way to get him some good playing time this year. It would be a shame to see his talent wasted, because the coaches can't find the best way to use him. Brings to mind, Bobby Newcombe, who's talent was wasted because the coaches couldn't figure the best way to use his talent.

GBR!!!