2009 WR prediction

knapplc

Here it is, the semifreddo version of the WR shot-calling thread. You've been brave enough to dabble in the not-so-murky world of QBs, where Zac Lee enters as King and the ducks are in their rows. But are you Husker enough to call the WRs this year?

No fewer than 16 players entered Fall Camp vying for playing time at Wide Receiver this year. Coach Wats let slip that Niles Paul is the front-runner for game time, so that's your easy pick. What we're looking for are your next two WRs who will have the biggest impact this year. Just two, your top two. GO.

My top two are Brandon Kinnie and Chris Brooks. Call it a gut feeling, call it prescience, call it whatever. I think these three guys - Paul, Kinnie and Brooks - will have the biggest impact this year. Yeah, Meno Holt is getting a lot of press, but maybe, just maybe, this is Brooks' year.

Time will tell.

I'm not buying into the Niles Paul hype at all.

I think that by mid-season Kinnie, Bell and either Marlowe or Cooper will be the "starters," and by starters I mean the guys who get the vast majority of the snaps.

Jen I normally try not to get too involved in the hype buy is see Paul's hype as legit because it's coming straight from the coaches mouth. I doubt they would over hype a player. Just my opinion. Luckily we will find out in 8 days!

What is it you aren't buying about the hype? You believe the hype about Zac Lee, a guy we've never seen play a meaningful snap yet you don't believe that an underclassmen that played well in his role and returned kicks and punts (one for a frickin' TD) could improve after game experience? And this hype is coming from the same coaches about both players. How can you believe the source on one guy and not on the other?

No offense, I guess I just don't get the thought process on that one.................

To me, the hype about Paul is harder to take because we've seen him bumbling out there on the field. We have yet to see Lee stink up the joint.... or do anything at all. In this case, Lee's lack of exposure is actually helping him, while Paul's is hurting to a degree.

It all boils down to how much you trust what the coaches are telling you, or how good you are at interpreting coachspeak.

What is it you aren't buying about the hype? You believe the hype about Zac Lee, a guy we've never seen play a meaningful snap yet you don't believe that an underclassmen that played well in his role and returned kicks and punts (one for a frickin' TD) could improve after game experience? And this hype is coming from the same coaches about both players. How can you believe the source on one guy and not on the other?

No offense, I guess I just don't get the thought process on that one.................

To me, the hype about Paul is harder to take because we've seen him bumbling out there on the field. We have yet to see Lee stink up the joint.... or do anything at all. In this case, Lee's lack of exposure is actually helping him, while Paul's is hurting to a degree.

It all boils down to how much you trust what the coaches are telling you, or how good you are at interpreting coachspeak.

Don't forget that Helu also added to the hype at Big XII media days. To me when you have BOTH the coaches and the players saying that Paul is the best hands down, you gotta take that into account.

And now for my picks. In true knapplc fashion, I am calling for widespread Redshirts!!!! If they haven't taken them, they are getting them now. Why, because it is good for them! This playing as a Freshman is for the birds!!! So looking at the current WR's on the roster, this is what we have:

2 Bell, Antonio WR 6-2 180 Fr. Daytona Beach, Fla. (Mainland) REDSHIRT!!!

1 Brooks, Chris WR 6-2 215 Sr. St. Louis, Mo. (Hazelwood East) REDSHIRT!!!

82 Cammack, Wes WR 5-11 200 Sr. DeWitt, Neb. (Tri County) REDSHIRT!!!

42 Clark, Tyson WR 6-4 190 Fr. Lincoln, Neb. (Lincoln East) REDSHIRT!!!

6 Cooper, Khiry WR 6-2 195 RFr. Shreveport, La. (Calvary Baptist Academy) He can play, he has completed his REDSHIRT!!!

87 Dixon, Taylor WR 5-11 190 RFr. Wauneta, Neb. (Wauneta-Palisade) He can play, he has completed his REDSHIRT!!!

35 Failla, Nick WR 5-10 175 Fr. Omaha, Neb. (Millard North) REDSHIRT!!!

11 Gilleylen, Curenski WR 6-0 215 So. Leander, Texas (Leander) REDSHIRT!!!

8 Henry, Will WR 6-5 215 Jr. El Paso, Texas (J.M. Hanks) REDSHIRT!!!

18 Holt, Menelik WR 6-4 220 Sr. San Diego, Calif. (St. Augustine) REDSHIRT!!!

85 Hyland, KC WR 6-6 210 RFr. Lincoln, Neb. (Pius X) He can play, he has completed his REDSHIRT!!!

4 Kildow, Ty WR 5-7 165 Fr. Omaha, Neb. (Millard South) REDSHIRT!!!

84 Kinnie, Brandon WR 6-3 215 So. Kansas City, Mo. (Fort Scott (Kan.) CC) (Grandview) I guess he can play, he is a 3 in 3 guy. Still might be good to just sit him out for a year......

26 Marlowe, Tim WR 5-10 175 RFr. Youngstown, Ohio (Cardinal Mooney) He can play, he has completed his REDSHIRT!!!

32 Mendoza, Marcus WR 5-10 190 So. Houston, Texas (Spring Woods) REDSHIRT!!!

21 Osborne, Steven WR 6-4 200 RFr. Garland, Texas (South Garland) He can play, he has completed his REDSHIRT!!!

83 Partington, Joseph WR 6-2 190 So. Grand Island, Neb. (UNO) (Central Catholic) REDSHIRT!!!

24 Paul, Niles WR 6-1 215 Jr. Omaha, Neb. (Omaha North) REDSHIRT!!!

16 Watson, Adam WR 6-0 185 Jr. Lincoln, Neb. (Niwot (Colo.)) REDSHIRT!!!

So there you have it, your top WR's this season, in no particular order since they are all equally trained due to their Redshirt Status, will be:

6 Cooper, Khiry WR 6-2 195 RFr.

87 Dixon, Taylor WR 5-11 190 RFr.

85 Hyland, KC WR 6-6 210 RFr.

26 Marlowe, Tim WR 5-10 175 RFr.

21 Osborne, Steven WR 6-4 200 RFr.

and maybe

84 Kinnie, Brandon WR 6-3 215 So.

knapplc, bet you can't use Redshirt 21 times in a single post!

I think that by mid-season Kinnie, Bell and either Marlowe or Cooper will be the "starters," and by starters I mean the guys who get the vast majority of the snaps.

Marlowe? Seriously? All the reports on Cooper are that he is struggling picking things up so I’m pretty sure you can count him out this year.

The coaches and players have said that Paul is clearly the #1 and the rest of them are trying to get to the level he is playing at. How can you not buy that hype yet buy into Kinnie, Bell, Marlowe and Cooper who have nothing to base anything off of buy hype. Just wondering.

Marlowe? Seriously? All the reports on Cooper are that he is struggling picking things up so I’m pretty sure you can count him out this year.

The coaches and players have said that Paul is clearly the #1 and the rest of them are trying to get to the level he is playing at. How can you not buy that hype yet buy into Kinnie, Bell, Marlowe and Cooper who have nothing to base anything off of buy hype. Just wondering.

It's more the fact that in the past two seasons I've been completely underwhelmed at what Niles Paul has done. For as highly rated as he was coming out of high school he should have been an immediate impact player. Instead, he's been average at best.

And, for the record the coaches were raving about Bell and Kinnie during spring ball. Furthermore, I threw Cooper/Marlowe in there because honestly who else is there? Wes Cammack?

Paul

Holt

Kinnie

Gilleylen

:yeah but switch Gilleylen and Kinnie.

Nah, I think he's got it right.

X- Paul

Brooks

Cooper

Z-Holt

Gilleylen

Osborne

Y-Kinnie

Henry

The "Y" spot are the TE's in this offense so unless Kinnie and Henry have moved to TE there's no way they'll be in those positions.

Under Tom Osborne the WR's were SE = split end, FL = flanker and TE = (obviously) tight end.

Under the former head coach, and now Shawn Watson, the SE = X, Y = TE and FL = Z.

It's more the fact that in the past two seasons I've been completely underwhelmed at what Niles Paul has done. For as highly rated as he was coming out of high school he should have been an immediate impact player. Instead, he's been average at best.

Fair enough. I just find it hard to believe that this staff would throw out the stuff they have been about him if it wasn’t showing up on the field.

I still don't think Marlowe and Cooper will see the field though.

Fair enough. I just find it hard to believe that this staff would throw out the stuff they have been about him if it wasn’t showing up on the field.

I still don't think Marlowe and Cooper will see the field though.

Don't get me wrong, I do sincerely hope that '09 is Paul's breakout season.

As for Marlowe and Cooper not seeing the field...that's certainly possible.

However, I think between the two of these kids, Marlowe could see the field first as a punt returner. Cooper has the speed, hands and height to be great but playing baseball and missing spring practice really does hurt him.