MSNBC's Top College Football Game Day Experiences

G_Rock

No. 1: The service academies — Army, Navy, Air Force

As great as the other 24 are, in my view there are no better settings where history, tradition and uniqueness meet an atmosphere that results in a tingle up the back of your spine or a tear in your eye then at the service academies on game day.

The service academies? No. 1? Wouldn’t you think the top spot should go to a program that cracks the top-25 once in a while?

I think that was a sympathy vote for the service men/women. No offense to the services, but come on... Longest sell out, best fans in the sport, embodiment of good sportsmanship through the passages engraved ON the stadium... if thats not worht the No. 1 spot, I dont know what is.

Perhaps it is in reference to the fact that those players are truely there for their schools and that the entire student body is involved in the game as well as the fact that those players are probably not aspiring to bail before their senior year to go pro and then act like a big baby and hold out for the year? Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

As great as the other 24 are, in my view there are no better settings where history, tradition and uniqueness meet an atmosphere that results in a tingle up the back of your spine or a tear in your eye then at the service academies on game day.

The service academies? No. 1? Wouldn’t you think the top spot should go to a program that cracks the top-25 once in a while?

I think that was a sympathy vote for the service men/women. No offense to the services, but come on... Longest sell out, best fans in the sport, embodiment of good sportsmanship through the passages engraved ON the stadium... if thats not worht the No. 1 spot, I dont know what is.

Perhaps it is in reference to the fact that those players are truely there for their schools and that the entire student body is involved in the game as well as the fact that those players are probably not aspiring to bail before their senior year to go pro and then act like a big baby and hold out for the year? Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Being someone who has been to both Lincoln and West Point games numerous times, I don't have an issue with the list but I wouldn't have an issue making the Academies #2 either. Both are unique for what they are. Watching the the overall scenery at WP, watching Corps go nuts, the Parade, the Parachutists, the cannons going off, the signing of the Alma Matter afterwards,......it is a very neat experience. However, the wild Sea of Red is definately a notch above on intensity.

Thats a very fair assessment... to me, college football is all about heart. So maybe the academies do deserve the No. 1 spot. :dunno

My first Nebraska game was at West Point. I do remember it being very cool, mostly because I was getting to see the Huskers, in person, for the first time. I saw Army

play Holy Cross there too. The parade and eating in the mess hall with the cadets - tough to beat. As for the setting, a crisp fall day on the Hudson or 10th St, not much of a contest. The 77 - 7 shellacking by the Cornhuskers might have added to the positive experience. I remember catching an extra point at the HC game too!

I don't have a problem finishing second to a service academy, as far as venue goes. As great of a tradition as we have here, you compare it to the history of the US Army, Navy, Marines or Air Force...eh, we're probably second. And that's what the academies celebrate, is their history....our history.

Thats a very fair assessment... to me, college football is all about heart. So maybe the academies do deserve the No. 1 spot. :dunno

jj if you ever make it out to NY let me know, I will take you to a West Point game. You will love it.

As far as tradition and atmosphere go I can't argue with the service academy stadiums being number 1. I enjoy the Army-Navy game each year . . . almost as much as a Husker game.

I have to agree, number of sellouts and such doesn't mean great game day experience (I'm not saying we don't have the number one game day experience by any means because I do think we do) but the atmosphere and experience at a service academy is outstanding. Especially at West Point, starting with parade of the corp in front of their dorms on the parade field when they are dressed in full ceremonial gear all the way to them marching into the stadium and the band paying respect to their game day opponents by playing of their school song. The atmosphere the corp of cadets brings to the game is absolutely amazing. They may suck when it comes to playing the game but the atmosphere is on the best. Number 1? I don't know but definetly a top 5 that everyone should experience. Now, being a huge NU fan, I would say we are number 1 and they are number 2!

I would like to attend a game at a service academy one day.

as would i.

Standing invitation if you want to come out to New York. I live 45 minutes from West Point, which also happens to be my Alma Matter. I usually go to several of the games.

Anytime for anyone who wants to catch an army game, I live 5 minutes (other side of the mountain) from the point; season ticket holder and I'm active air force!