VT Backfield Issues?

jjamuss

The health of the offensive line has a far greater impact on a team's running game than which RB totes the rock-usually.

Huh? An average back behind an outstanding line looks like an average back. An outstanding back behind an average line looks like an outstanding back. Yes, a steady O line is a big part of any running game, but to say that because you have a good line a coach can put anyone with cleats on back there and get the same results as his number one guy is just wrong.

I took it to mean, "If you have a crap O-line, it doesn't matter much who you have back there. If there are no holes, there are no holes. If you get lit up in the backfield, chances are you're usually not going to get away. If you have a great O-line, you'll obviously do even better with a great RB, but you can have a middle of the pack RB and still maintain something of a running game behind a great O-line."

Obviously if you put the towelboy in, you're not going to get much in the way of results no matter what. But let's face it, most I-A RB's are not towelboys.

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/vtfootball/wb/216792

Interesting read about VTs issues in their backfield. Maybe they are ripe for the picking?

Having been to the first two scrimmages it is tempting to miss Evans A LOT... However, last year we dismissed Ore (very similar to the Q situation), and then we lost Kenny Lewis (our starter). That gave us the ability to see Evans tear it up the remainder of the season. As sad as the situation is for Evans, Beamer tends to always find solid RBs. Williams and Wilson are both explosive, although neither appear to have the blocking skills yet of Evans. Wednesday's scrimmage was not open to the public so I did not get to see it, but with Oglesby back and with Williams and Wilson ready to see some D1 action I am not worried at all. The offensive line looks like it has greatly improved since last year (although when I watched them in the scrimmages they played against second and third Ds), and I think both of the young RBs will do fine as long as Oglesby stays healthy so neither has to play in excess in the beginning. Although Williams has received the most hype of any of these guys, Wilson is to me the most exciting player. Combine that with TT's speed I think the backfield will be fine. It is interesting that Beamer focuses on this through media... We have yet to see if the young WRs have improved that much more. They do need to step it up this year. The D looks absolutely amazing. But hey, it's August and practice.... We'll see what they are really like in a week. Heading down to Atlanta very optimistic, but I am actually more excited about you all coming to Blacksburg two weeks later.

THANK YOU

Someone from an oposeing team bringing facts to an discussion. So many times we get the smack talk from others in our conference and it gets old. The VA Tech and Clemson boys have shown alot of class on the board since weve played them. Heres to a good game. Youll understand if i dont root for you guys to win this year though.

The health of the offensive line has a far greater impact on a team's running game than which RB totes the rock-usually.

Huh? An average back behind an outstanding line looks like an average back. An outstanding back behind an average line looks like an outstanding back. Yes, a steady O line is a big part of any running game, but to say that because you have a good line a coach can put anyone with cleats on back there and get the same results as his number one guy is just wrong.

I took it to mean, "If you have a crap O-line, it doesn't matter much who you have back there. If there are no holes, there are no holes. If you get lit up in the backfield, chances are you're usually not going to get away. If you have a great O-line, you'll obviously do even better with a great RB, but you can have a middle of the pack RB and still maintain something of a running game behind a great O-line."

Obviously if you put the towelboy in, you're not going to get much in the way of results no matter what. But let's face it, most I-A RB's are not towelboys.

The part in blue is exactly what I meant.

And, Virginia Tech does pretty much reload along the OL.

There is this team in the NFL called the Denver Broncos under Shanahan, you should look up some of their RB that no one had heard of that ran for 1000 yards b/c they had the best OL in football.

The OL is absolutely the most important thing, hands down. You can be as great as you want, if there aren't any holes to run through what the hell are you going to do?

Based on what I know about our team and having seen a few practices and the two open scrimmages, the VT O line will be improved over the last couple of years. That said, a pass blocking RB is very valuable and would give Tyrod more time to hit the tight ends and WRs. The guys we have in the backfield (especially the two youngest) are "home-run" threats, by that I mean once they are in the open field they will be gone. My concern is how they will handle pressure from guys like Suh. Tyrod can probably outrun most guys once he gets out of the pocket, but unless he gets time to get the ball off or take off on a run, he will be sacked or possibly end up forcing it to the other team. My assessment so far of the Hokies is that we need the passing game to open up for the running game. Most teams are probably the other way, but until our receivers prove that they consistently can catch the ball the opposing teams can put pressure on Tyrod. I see improvements and having Coale back will be huge. However, you all have the advantage of watching a great Alabama D challenge our offense so you will have a fairly good idea how solid our O will be two weeks later. Overall, I think the backfield will be OK.

I am really excited about our D. Despite the loss of Number 1, I think this unit has improved. My concern: how deep are we? If our O struggles and these guys are forced to get back on the field right away we need a solid second unit. We cannot afford all these 3 and outs against teams like Bama and NU.

Finally, our special teams seem to be on track. Last year was not good. The scrimmages told me that Beamer has spent lots of time on the blocking schemes again. Our placekicker is a redshirt SR - not sure about his range, but he has been consistent in the 35-45 range in the scrimmages. You all clearly have the experience there (and the range), but I think we look OK.

Sorry if I gave you too much info on a topic on a "struggling" backfield, but it is hard to curb the excitement a week away from the season opener.

It's not possible to give us too much info when it comes to football! I think someone else posted that we are extremely happy when fans of other teams come here and post info/debate. :)

I agree...as long as they're not flaming or trolling. And Hokieluv, from what I can tell, is a class act all the way. :thumbs

The part in blue is exactly what I meant.

And, Virginia Tech does pretty much reload along the OL.

Fair enough, I get what you're saying. I still think though that average is average. Every RB at Va Tech lines up behind the same O line, there's a reason one of em was at the top of the depth chart, my guess he's better than the other guys. Take him out and it's an advantage to whoever they're playing. Probably not a game changer, but who kows. Going into that stadium we'll take whatever edge we can get.

There is this team in the NFL called the Denver Broncos under Shanahan, you should look up some of their RB that no one had heard of that ran for 1000 yards b/c they had the best OL in football.

The OL is absolutely the most important thing, hands down. You can be as great as you want, if there aren't any holes to run through what the hell are you going to do?

Yeah, Terrell Davis, Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson..Portis.. no talent there to be sure.

Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson and Clinton Portis all enjoyed their best years in Denver. When they left Denver their production dropped. Portis has been the most successful guy after leaving Shannahan's offense, but his TD rate went from an average of 14.5 per year in Denver to just over 8 per year in Washington.

The offensive line is the key to any running game. Most people don't get that, which is why people tend to draft the wrong guy in fantasy football all the time.

Yeah, Terrell Davis, Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson..Portis.. no talent there to be sure.

Terrell Davis= 6th round- 196th overall

Olandis Gary= 4th round- 120th overall

Mike Anderson= 6th round- 189th overall

Clinton Portis=- 2nd round- 51st overall

It's not like these were first round guys, they picked Ruben Drougns off the free agent market and turned him into a 1000 yard rusher. The same line techniques that Denver used found their way to Atlanta, and the results have been the same since.

I'll throw in my 2 cents as well.

With regards to the RB blocking, if they can't, they won't play. A big part of being a RB for VT is being able to block and not fumbling. Our RB coach, Billy Hite, is really big on those two attributes and receives quite a bit of flack for it actually. Ryan Williams, one of the RB, redshirted last year solely because he struggled blocking. He worked on it quite a bit in the offseason and improved dramatically. Another one of the RB, David Wilson, saw what happened to Williams and also worked hard to make sure the same thing wouldn't happen to him. The word is that Wilson really gets after you. This isn't to say that they are amazing blockers, but they are better and have certainly worked at it.

Just my knowledge on that subject; Hokieluv has touched on everything else. Hope for a great game.

There is a reason that VT is rated 7th in the nation. It is not because they only have 1st teamers and a bunch of unknown quality players behind them. They will be ready to play and we better be on our A game and not worry about who is not in there and concentrate on who is in there. We can win this game but then again so can they. The best prepared and motivated team will win.

GBR