Biggest Quesitons

1. Turnovers? About every season we have this same discussion. Will our secondary start making plays again? Pelini's 2003 squad was famous for picking the ball off, but every since then it's been a nagging annoyance. I remember a story under the C*ll*h*n regime about the corners promising higher production in this area, but since that time, it's not happened. Being a year seasoned in Pelini's defense with Marvin Sanders admitting that the first one passed by with some missed teaching opportunities, maybe we finally have good reason to think our secondary will be confident enough to go up at get it. I hope so, because if our receiving corps doesn't pan out like it did last year, it may be more than just a nice bonus to give Lee more chances.

2. Helu's health? Undoubtedly the best running back on the roster right now, but will he be there in October, November––gulp––December? August is a month for optimism, but Burkhead securing the number two spot is just as much a source for handwringing as it is for elation until we see him take the field. Let's not kid ourselves: if Helu's hamstrings don't hold up, we're asking Superman to carry us to a north division championship as a true freshman. Biiiig questions.

3. Linebacker development? Another frequent topic of conversation last year was the redshirt deposit. In six days Pelini is going to make his first withdrawals. The question isn't are Fisher and Compton going to play as well as the corps did last year, but are they going to be better? Will they be faster? In the secondary and up front we have a decent idea of what we're looking at, but there are going to be three young or fresh faces at arguably the most difficult position in Pelini's system. Will they thrive or struggle?

4. Lee's NU career? We know he's played sparingly at the D1 level. We also know he's got a seventy-yard arm and some wheels. If the QB position was all about physical talent, most of us would probably be thinking that we were in for an upgrade from last year, more wins, and hell, a division title at least. But it isn't all about physical talent––though that doesn't hurt––but a mental game arguably more difficult than anything else. If the answer to this question is a good one, Nebraska may be more dangerous than people realize. If it isn't, we could be seeing a true freshman engaging in a legitimate quarterback battle en route to a mediocre season. VA Tech is going to bring clarity to the situation. But until that day comes, our most pressing preseason question remains.

Those are mine. What are yours?

6d8h25m!!!!

Good questions Husker X. I've been hearing that Helu has gained 10-15 pounds of muscle and should be able to handle the toll of the tailback position better than last. I think that's key to a successful season. I agree with the media that the loss of Castille will hurt, but I don't think it will cost the team a game....or games......as some people in the media are stating. At the end of the day Castille was only 1 player...and I've heard some good things about these young kids behind him and can only imagine this as turning into a positive for the program in the long run from an experience standpoint.

I think Nebraska's linebackers will be fine. Remember, good defensive line play will make ANY linebacking corp look good, and NU has arguably the best defensive line in the Big 12. I wouldn't be as concerned as people are.

Turnovers.....who knows....alot of times it's how the ball bounces. I see Nebraska's defense getting more than the offense lets go of though.

Husker X does raise some good questions.

Castille is a blow to the team, but I agree in that it will not cost us a game. It might cost us a few plays here and there when it's 4th and 1 and our experienced 235 pound bruisers is MIA, but I think we'll find ways to get it done.

Turnovers are a concern in my eye, but it all comes down to the mental aspect. We all know the team puts a lot of effort into everything, it's just the mental side that Nebraska has had to work on since Callahan left. He grinded the teams' football mentality down to a fine powder.

Helu is my biggest questions of the year. Can he hold the weight up? Can he stay healthy? So far, he has proved that the new weight and speed is hurting him in ways, what with two minor hamstring injuries in the last 6 months. But, even though you have some concerns about having to rely on Burkhead to get us to the Big 12 championship game, I think all we need is a little faith. Ahman Green was a starter for a couple games back in '95 as a true Freshman, so maybe we'll strike gold again with this young guy from Texas.

Good questions all the way around. I think we will see a very good defense out there this year. Our D-line should get good pressure making everyone elses job easier. The linebacking corps youth doesnt worry me, while they are young I think they are far more athletic than the past couple years and there is far more speed that i think can make up for what they dont know yet. Also they WILL get better as the season progresses.

On offense Helu's health is definately a concern, but as stated earlier if the O-line does a good job the lanes will be there and any back should be able to find them. Lee WILL be better than Ganz. The first couple games may look a little shakey, but once he gets used to game speed he will have all the physical tools to get the job done and then some.

GBR!!!