Virginia Tech

knapplc

Just a quick rundown of the VA Tech schedule from last year shows they went undefeated at home, winning by an average of 21-11.

Granted, they didn't play a tough home slate last year, facing teams like Furman, Georgia Tech, Western Kentucky, Maryland (finished ranked 23rd), Duke and Virginia. Only GA Tech scored more than 14 points on the Hokies, but they only earned 17.

The Hokies lost four times last year, all of them at neutral sites or at the opponent's stadium. They lost to East Carolina on a neutral field, at Miami, at FSU and at Boston College. Only one of these four (FSU) scored 30 points or more, with the Noles scoring exactly 30. Coincidentally, the same points the Huskers scored. <_<

I would have to say that our defense is better overall this year than last year, and certainly we're better at this time this year than we were this time last year. VA Tech hasn't been scoring a lot of points against anyone, with the lone exception of Marshall last week where they scored 52, their highest point total in four years, although they have scored in the 40s several times since 2005.

The one wildcard here is Taylor. When we played him last year it was only his second start. With a solid year under his belt, he's going to have plenty of experience to go along with his athletic abilities.

Coincidentally, the most points they scored all last season was 35, against us. <_<

Out of those teams you listed that they played at home Georgia Tech was the only real challenge, so I'm liking our chances offensively. Defensively is where we are going to need to get our stuff straight. Gave up too many yards and points last year and didn't give our offense enough opportunities. It's amazing we even came within 5 points.

Hopefully we'll be able to confuse Taylor and force him to make mistakes. We really need to force Taylor to throw the ball, something that isn't his forte.

I've been reading a lot of predictions on multiple boards (including neutral boards) and most people have us hanging on but losing by 3 to as many as 19. They are amped up over their win over Marshall. Impressive yes. However, Marshall did manage to score 10 points, in Blacksburg. How are we only going to score 17 like the mode of predictions? In addition, Marshall's D-line was bullied, pushed back by VT's O-line as many as 5-6 yards on multiple plays which opened up their running game so much. What happens when they clash with a stout D-line like ours? The way I see it, both teams running games are pretty equal and defense pretty equal. So when VT's running is shut down or retarded, what are they going to fall back on? Taylors 57% completion? Where as, we have a solid passing game and a very very dynamic offense. Had we played Marshall, we easily would have done the same. Marshall's previous opponent was SIU, D-II I believe, which was won by Marshall 31-28. So, give up 28pts and almost lose to D-II school then throwup 10points on #15ish VT...in Blacksburg? Yet the Huskers are only going to score 17-21????? Doubtful. If our defense can't stop their run, we still have a fairly good shot at winning a shootout. We beat Ark St. 38-9, who won 61-0 the previous week. VT beat Marshall 52-10 who won 31-28. I'm not impressed. Nor was I impressed with Okie St. after I actually watched their first game. Stats were good, Dez Bryant Highlights were good, aggregate play was sloppy so I called the upset the following week. Mizzou first week? Stats were good, highlights were decent, also not impressed after watching the actual game. NU 35 - VT 19

Most peoples predictions are random guesses based on what they've heard or highlights. Ever seen a kicka$$ movie trailer and you go see the actual movie which turns out to be absolute horsechips? Plenty

I may be drinking Kool-Aid, but I ain't chuggin it and its the offbrand from walmart anyways