The Reason We Lost

Husker_x

I agree, terrible decisions shouldve pulled Lee and at least gave Green a shot. And deffinately shouldve went for it on 4th and 1. I mean Helu was averaging 6.7 yard per carry.

I dont agree with putting Green, he wouldve done no better with the pressure and the crowd, the lack of faith in Lee would have turned to a lack of faith in Green if he started to mess up.

The point was Helu was averaging 6.7 yds a carry, Watson shouldve just ran the ball, forget the pass, run out the time and pull away with the win. Pelini needed to do a better job of clock management and not pissing away our timeouts. Recievers needed to actually make catches.

This was just a bad game offensively for the Huskers, the 1st half started out rough but we began to make progress towards the end by putting points on the board and taking the lead. But for some reason the offense came out with downhill spiral to just poor execution and penalties.

The call on Meno's TD was the right call, but he shouldve done a better job holding on the football, i can understand if a CB or S knocks it lose, but hitting the ground and letting it pop out?! C'mon Meno.

McNeill's TD wouldve been nice, but once again this was the drive that we went backwards, and im sure everyone will say it was the many times it cost us this game.

As for West's blown coverage by letting Coale get behind him and then obviously O'Hanlon let him get behind him. Not a very smart decision by the secondary.

But like everyone is going to say, this loss can be pointed to the Offense, or lack there of.

Just two things: There were really only 3 penalties (not 4). The 2nd holding call was completely bogus. It was a cruddy block (pushing in the back after he was soundly beaten). Thus we still should have had a FG try. If you see the flag flying in, it was by the LINESMAN. The LINESMAN. Holy bejesus. Second thing: I think Watson called the same play (the play action, roll right with the same exact routes) about 10 times. Worked once. Once. When they broke coverage one Curenski's lone catch. By the way, his route running sucks.

Other than that, I really look forward to the rest of the year. I do sincerely believe we can go at least 9-3. Go Huskers!

The offense and the coaches are the ones to blame for this loss IMO. Besides Helu nobody and I mean NOBODY did a f-ing thing on offense. Kinda hard to do anything though with horrible play calling from Watson. I can't believe we lost this f-ing game, we had this one in the bag! :boxosoap:bang

I'm guessing Alex Henery had a good day to. :lol:

Yeah, I agree that with 4-1 and deciding to punt instead of going for it. What the worse thing that could happen? Not making it and having them trying to go 60 for a TD. Where if you do make then all you have to do is kneel.

I've stated before that this offense still has not done anything against a good defense. Reminded me when Solich was coach and Nu was playing Oklahoma and I was yelling for them to punt on third downs since that was their best play.

Respectfully disagree. We had all the momentum. Bo had his foot on Beamer's throat. A QB sneak or draw hadn't failed all game and we had very few negative run plans. You just go for it. You TAKE your victory. Even if we failed to convert, we'd still have our stellar defense with 60 yards to defend. It was a bonehead call and it would have been the difference between victory and defeat.

But here's the thing, IF we do not get it, every single drop of that momentum we had is gone, in one play. The crowd goes insane and you give the Tech offense a shorter field to work with.

You punt the ball away, you keep the momentum we already have and force Tyrod, who had not done a single thing all game, to go almost 90 yards on us.

I like my chances with the latter more than I do anything else.

Unfortunately O'Hanlon botched a coverage horribly. It happens.

Fortunately, we showed what we are capable of.

I've got enough heat to go on Pelini for some mistakes in this one. The punt isn't one of them.

But NOW we get to see what type of real coaching staff we have. A bad coaching staff will let this bother their team for the rest of the sason. A good coaching staff will use this to show a young team how good they really are and as a motivating factor into the B12 schedule.

I agree, terrible decisions shouldve pulled Lee and at least gave Green a shot. And deffinately shouldve went for it on 4th and 1. I mean Helu was averaging 6.7 yard per carry.

I dont agree with putting Green, he wouldve done no better with the pressure and the crowd, the lack of faith in Lee would have turned to a lack of faith in Green if he started to mess up.

The point was Helu was averaging 6.7 yds a carry, Watson shouldve just ran the ball, forget the pass, run out the time and pull away with the win. Pelini needed to do a better job of clock management and not pissing away our timeouts. Recievers needed to actually make catches.

This was just a bad game offensively for the Huskers, the 1st half started out rough but we began to make progress towards the end by putting points on the board and taking the lead. But for some reason the offense came out with downhill spiral to just poor execution and penalties.

The call on Meno's TD was the right call, but he shouldve done a better job holding on the football, i can understand if a CB or S knocks it lose, but hitting the ground and letting it pop out?! C'mon Meno.

McNeill's TD wouldve been nice, but once again this was the drive that we went backwards, and im sure everyone will say it was the many times it cost us this game.

As for West's blown coverage by letting Coale get behind him and then obviously O'Hanlon let him get behind him. Not a very smart decision by the secondary.

But like everyone is going to say, this loss can be pointed to the Offense, or lack there of.

Kicking the ball was the right thing to do. Our defense was incredible all game and besides missed tackles (a couple on ST, one on defense) the defense did everything they possibly could.

I've never bought this argument. If the defense is that incredible, then it should be irrelevant whether you have to defend 60 yds of field or 80 yds, you go for the yard to end the game, and you trust your defense enough to know then won't give up 60 if you don't get it....

Still stunned....we had this one and I can't see where anyone can say it's bad coaching because VT stole the game away in the waning seconds of the game. A couple years back, we wouldn't have had a chance. There are no "moral victories" with this one cuz it stings like the loss at TX Tech last year.

Once the TD in the 3rd was called back, I had a bad feeling that it would come back to haunt us and it did.

I guess you look at the big picture now, with OU (maybe KU) being the only teams that can stack up against us. Keep your heads up Husker fans.....lots of games left to play!!!!!

GBR!!!!!!

And this board has officially gone into meltdown mode. Here comes the "fire bo pelini" and "cody green should've played" crowd :ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh

I guess Helu having a career high game with over 170yds is the coaches/teams fault. I guess our D holding VaTech to less than 60 yds (before the big play) the entire 2nd half was our coaches/teams fault.

Face it. Bud Foster's defense played very well.

As painfull as this is (wife wants to check my blood pressure), NO one should be saying anything about firing Bo or bring in Cody Green. For those of us that are old enouph to remember, Tom Osborne had his share of heart break losses early in his career. I remember when people wanted him to go. I am just starting to calm down, this one hurts bad but I am sooooooooo proud of our defense and Helu. They played lights out today.

Respectfully disagree. We had all the momentum. Bo had his foot on Beamer's throat. A QB sneak or draw hadn't failed all game and we had very few negative run plans. You just go for it. You TAKE your victory. Even if we failed to convert, we'd still have our stellar defense with 60 yards to defend. It was a bonehead call and it would have been the difference between victory and defeat.

But here's the thing, IF we do not get it, every single drop of that momentum we had is gone, in one play. The crowd goes insane and you give the Tech offense a shorter field to work with.

You punt the ball away, you keep the momentum we already have and force Tyrod, who had not done a single thing all game, to go almost 90 yards on us.

I like my chances with the latter more than I do anything else.

Unfortunately O'Hanlon botched a coverage horribly. It happens.

Fortunately, we showed what we are capable of.

I've got enough heat to go on Pelini for some mistakes in this one. The punt isn't one of them.

But NOW we get to see what type of real coaching staff we have. A bad coaching staff will let this bother their team for the rest of the sason. A good coaching staff will use this to show a young team how good they really are and as a motivating factor into the B12 schedule.

I say it again, and I'll go to my grave believing it. You have a running back averaging over six yards a carry. A QB sneak/draw hadn't failed all game. Sometimes you just have to smash through for that yard and damn the torpedos. But he played conservative. He did the safe thing. Well whoopie.

Moving forward I hope this staff never chickens out like they did today. If you want to have a team with attitude, you've got to believe you can get one God damned yard to win the biggest game of your life.