The Reason We Lost

Husker_x

Anyone care to guess why we lost today?

COACHING

I have never seen a more inept game called on offense, but the worst decision of all, the one that pissed away everything, was the 4th and 1 punt call. Why in God's name did we kick that football? Even if we'd failed on a conversion, we would have had 60 yards of pasture to defend against a touchdown. Not a field goal. A touchdown. Bo Pelini should be absolutely ashamed of himself. He's an aggressive coach who pulled up his skirt and gave it all away. One yard and we win the game. One yard.

I hate to write things from emotion, and I know a lot should be said about Lee's complete breakdown, Watson's humiliating playcalling, and the defensive breakdown at the end, the penalties, etc. But the facts are these. Nebraska owned that game today. They destroyed Virginia Tech. And what do we have to show for it? f'ing nothing.

I am ashamed of our coaching staff today. Our quarterback play was worse than terrible, but the coaching took away our chance to win. I love Bo. I still think he's our man. But he needs to learn how to man up on that field if he expects to win. You trust your offense to get a yard. You don't punt the game away.

FIRST, if ANYONE blames this on the defense you need to kindly step away from the board. IMO, defense played tremendous. stopping them from like the 1st quarter til the last 2 min? drive after drive...sooner or later they are going to give up some points.

Consequently, the offense is completely at fault. or coaching, whatever. you HAVE to score points. idk how many times we were in the red zone and came away with field goal. like i cant complain enough about this game, quarterback BLEW, ahh! i dont know what to say. :rant

:wtf:wtf:wtf

Yeah we probably should have went for it on 4th and 1 but our Defense played stellar today. We held them to under 60 yds of offense the entire second half. Why wouldn't Bo rely on the D to step up. Tyrod got lucky with that long pass. That's all. Helu had an outstanding game!

:yeah We have a lot to be proud of, but the loss is heart breaking.........maybe we should have a country song for the tunnel walk. :sarcasm

:wtf:wtf:wtf

Yeah we probably should have went for it on 4th and 1 but our Defense played stellar today. We held them to under 60 yds of offense the entire second half. Why wouldn't Bo rely on the D to step up. Tyrod got lucky with that long pass. That's all. Helu had an outstanding game!

You don't leave close games to luck. You man up, smash forward for a yard, shake the dust off your hands and walk home with a road victory this program desperately needed.

Yes, the blame goes directly on the coaches. Stupid mistakes have to be cleaned up and that falls directly on the staff.

But a few other things ..

Kicking the ball was the right thing to do. Our defense was incredible all game and besides missed tackles (a couple on ST, one on defense) the defense did everything they possibly could.

I'm pretty sure Lee hurt his hand (I think his thumb) in the late 2nd or early 3rd. I saw him flexing his thumb a few times and would explain why he became erratic so quickly.

At the same time, his line did him no favors until we put Marcel back in. DJ Jones single handily killed one of our drives at the goal line. A couple of those hits is where I think Zac may have messed up his hand.

O'Hanlons breakdown reminded me of the breakdown last year against TTech when we let Crabtree get over the cover 2. The safety didn't rotate and look what happened. The safety has one responsibility late in the game in that situation, GET AS DEEP AS THE DEEPEST MAN. You DO NOT let anyone get past you. If you give up a ball in front of you because of it, SO WHAT? A 20 yard gain is better than a 60 yard gain.

Meno -- please go sit down. Your hands are awful, you are slow and you run horrid routes. Why you continue to get PT over someone like Chris Brooks, I do not know.

The WR - ALL OF THEM, were horrid today. I just laughed when Zac got out on a scramble buying time for someone to get open. Zac easily bought an additional 4-5 seconds and STILL no one could get open. It seriously looked like they were always standing around waiting for Zac to deliver the ball.

All in all, Bo and especially Barney need to re-evaluate a few things on what they are doing. A well coached team just does not hand away games like that.

We lost that one. VA Tech did not win it.