Time for Serious Discussion

I just want some intelligent conversation on what we saw.

Here are my thoughts:

1. Virginia Tech might be the worst offensive team I have ever seen from a BCS conference. The D played well, but how much was that the ineptitude of the opponent?

2. We left a lot of receivers open, does a Big 12 offense miss like Taylor did all afternoon?

3. We ran the ball well, but Va Tech isn't exactly a great run defense. How should we judge that?

4. We have a serious problem against a speed rush DE, don't you think? Our tackles looked bad.

5. Am I the only one who thinks this could be as big a positive as it was a disappointment?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Here are my thoughts:

1. Virginia Tech might be the worst offensive team I have ever seen from a BCS conference. The D played well, but how much was that the ineptitude of the opponent?

2. We left a lot of receivers open, does a Big 12 offense miss like Taylor did all afternoon?

3. We ran the ball well, but Va Tech isn't exactly a great run defense. How should we judge that?

4. We have a serious problem against a speed rush DE, don't you think? Our tackles looked bad.

5. Am I the only one who thinks this could be as big a positive as it was a disappointment?

Brilliant post. Simply brilliant. Man I admire you.

Here are my thoughts:

Worst? No. But we'll certainly be facing much better offenses in conference play. They did have some guys open that Tyrod missed (or they dropped the pass), but this happens in almost every game no matter who you watch. It's still a concern and I think we'll suffer some at the hands of a pass heavy team. I still think our secondary has made some big strides even from last season.

Though VT isn't a great run defense, I think we can be positive about our running game against them and in future games. Helu made good decisions and hit most of his lanes hard, and we had some good second level blocking.

We did have some issues against the ends, but Lee showed he's more than capable of evading and giving himself time to make a play. Unfortunately he missed a lot of those plays today (and again, some were dropped).

While the result is obviously disappointing, I think there are positives to take from it. And I think the team will learn from it and move forward, thus being the better for it.

VT receivers dropped a LOT of balls where they were open and should have caught them.

We can't stop a competent pass attack yet, and that worries me. Or maybe it was the game plan and we just gave them the pass. I don't know.

On the other hand, I'm VERY encouraged by how well we contained a credible running threat in Tyrod Taylor. There were times he took off, looked like he was gonna gash us, and ended up being scooted out of bounds for 2 yards, or taken down by Suh & co. We usually struggle with the mobile QBs, no? This was very encouraging, along with our shutting down (for the most part) of their running game.

VT receivers dropped a LOT of balls where they were open and should have caught them.

We can't stop a competent pass attack yet, and that worries me. Or maybe it was the game plan and we just gave them the pass. I don't know.

On the other hand, I'm VERY encouraged by how well we contained a credible running threat in Tyrod Taylor. There were times he took off, looked like he was gonna gash us, and ended up being scooted out of bounds for 2 yards, or taken down by Suh & co. We usually struggle with the mobile QBs, no? This was very encouraging, along with our shutting down (for the most part) of their running game.

I agree with this completely. Going into the game I was nervous they would run on us more, especially given how young our LBs are. We played pretty good defense (given that Va Tech's offense wasn't overly impressive today), and I am looking forward to how much better we will get in the year. Just to put it in perspective, not even 2 years ago we were 118th in defense.

Although I'm slightly disappointed in Lee's play, you have to take into consideration this was his first road game, and his third start. From what I heard through the TV (and unfortunately that drive we had 1st and Goal at the 6 yd line), the fans did an excellent job of complicating our calls, and decreasing Lee's composure.

Overall I think the game was a good road experience for our young team, and it will provide a nice transition into conference play, after the Lafayette game of course.

GBR!

I would also add these questions

Why did Rex Burkhead not get even 1 single carry? Did Watson not trust him in the big game?

Why can our recievers not get seperation? It seems like every other team in America runs routes better and finds the openings. Yet big game after big game, our guys just can't seem to get open (and now can't seem to catch the ball either).

Why so much rotation on the o-line? We were dominating in stretches with the run, but the pass protection left a lot to be desired. Get a line together, and let them play.

The reason this was possible was Tyrods poor ability to complete passes. This allowed us to send in extra linebackers to contain him, also the reason we were able to stop the run. I'm very concerned about our ability to contain mobile and accurate passers such as Reasing and Bradford.

Discuss all you want, but there was only one call that mattered...you can't get the monkey off your back by punting when victory is only one yard away. bad call.

I disagree. If they were running up and down the field on 'em then, yes, you get that first. The correct decision was made. The defensive exectuion and play calling afterwards were questionable.

good post , great questions

1. agreed, va tech offense was defiantly nothing special, however they did offer some match up problems that i think we handled well.

2. again agreed, however we will not have to deal with another qb that is a bigger threat with his feet then arm.. i guess the argument could be made for griffin from baylor, but come on, tyrod is a stud, and we defiantly gameplaned to make him beat us with is arm

3. we ran the ball well at times, the offensive line shuffle needs to stop, if we are going to be a serious contender to win the big XII.. which i think we can do, we need to get an established line and stop the rotation, there defiantly is a group that worked well together, give them the snaps and reps in practice and lets dominate!

4. yes, our tackles defiantly had a problem with the speed rush, establishing a set line would help but i don't see our tackles being able to consistently stop speed rushers on 3rd and long... best diagnosis is to avoid 3rd and long, but zac also needs to have a better presnap read and recognize the pressure

5. agreed, this could be huge motivating factor for the big XII season, bo will coach them up and i have the confidence this will serve as not only a motivating factor but as a discipline factor in practice.. this was a game we should have won and those games do not sit well with college coaches, this week of practice will be hell! this game will only motivate and re-establish the hunger..

I really do expect big things out of our boys this year... Bo will coach 'em up and use this as motivation... as an ex college fball player i feel for what they will go through this week but i expect this to be a major learning curve for not only the future but the near future

Discuss all you want, but there was only one call that mattered...you can't get the monkey off your back by punting when victory is only one yard away. bad call.

I disagree. If they were running up and down the field on 'em then, yes, you get that first. The correct decision was made. The defensive exectuion and play calling afterwards were questionable.

Yeah, take the risk of giving them good field position when your team has held them to just over 50 yards so far in the second half with 2:00 or so remaining? Please...VT had shown nothing whatsoever on offense in the second half. There was no reason to go for it.

VT is a bad team Miami will cream them! We have some bullheads for coaches.

Substitution builds depth Beck and Watson and Pellini do not send in fres legs at QB or at I Back!

Helu 28 carries Rex B. 0 carries! result loss.

Has ayone ever seen a team punt on fourth and goal ever? Really, did Henery win the Colorado game from farther out?

If you can't punch it in from the 3 how will this team ever win against good teams?

Do we just have one back?

My concerns are

1) Using up Time Outs. They shouldn't need to call a Tome Out in 2nd and 10 situations.

2) Not using the Run game on 2nd and Goal from the 3.

3) Penalties from the OL. At some point you have to sit a Kid down that contiues to Hold and False start.

The 4th and 1 punt is a tough call and can be argued both ways. Your Defense has shut them down all day, so I understand the call. At the same time you have an opportunity to put the game away if you go for it and get it. One call has greater reward but more risk than the other.