Weekly Poll Speculation

WHAT A JOKE! Iowa jumped to 17th and 13th for beating PSU, the most overrated team (besides Ole Miss) ever! Good lord. I'm not too upset with our ranking since we only beat up on a garbage team.

Oh, by the way, I love how Mizzou jumps us after they struggled on the road against an 0-3 team.

I guess I'm making too much of it though. If we take care of business over the next 10 weeks, these rankings won't matter at all.

GO BIG RED!

Sept. 27, 2009

Rank Team (first-place votes) Record Points Last week

1. Florida (58) 4-0 1,474 1

2. Texas (1) 4-0 1,410 2

3. Alabama 4-0 1,364 3

4. LSU 4-0 1,226 7

5. Boise State 4-0 1,144 8

6. Virginia Tech 3-1 1,091 12

7. Southern California 3-1 1,081 10

8. Oklahoma 2-1 1,055 9

9. Ohio State 3-1 1,036 11

10. TCU 3-0 928 14

11. Cincinnati 4-0 848 15

12. Oklahoma State 3-1 665 16

13. Penn State 3-1 627 4

14. Georgia 3-1 616 17

15. Houston 3-0 539 23

16. Kansas 4-0 508 19

17. Iowa 4-0 462 NR

18. Mississippi 2-1 424 5

19. California 3-1 356 6

20. Michigan 4-0 304 22

21. (tie) Miami (Fla.) 2-1 298 13

21. (tie) Brigham Young 3-1 298 20

23. Missouri 4-0 295 21

24. Nebraska 3-1 242 24

25. Oregon 3-1 198 NR

The B.S. in bold can be eliminated by NU on October 8, 2009.

This year's poll is the biggest joke ever...

Penn State still in at #13? They showed absolutely NOTHING last night. What's this based on...the stunning victory over Akron?

Ol Miss still in the polls? What's this? Actually...what the heck was Cal even doing in the polls to begin with and, more importantly, what the hell are they still doing there?

Miami? Brigham Young? What the heck! Why not throw U-Conn in there. They seem to be doing at least as well as Ohio State.

Iowa's defense should be in the top 25 but their offense deserves to be in the bottom 25. Maybe they should just give the opponents the ball every series since the defense scores the majority of their points.

Actually...why are there any Big 10 teams in there at all? If their signature wins come against equally inept Big 10 teams, what good are they except as cannon fodder for real football teams to embarrass in the bowl games?

This poll? Heck...might be better to be left off this poll completely since it so obviously is based on name recognition and "homer" votes anyway. Absolutely worthless... :angry:

This year's poll is the biggest joke ever...

Penn State still in at #13? They showed absolutely NOTHING last night. What's this based on...the stunning victory over Akron?

Ol Miss still in the polls? What's this? Actually...what the heck was Cal even doing in the polls to begin with and, more importantly, what the hell are they still doing there?

Miami? Brigham Young? What the heck! Why not throw U-Conn in there. They seem to be doing at least as well as Ohio State.

Iowa's defense should be in the top 25 but their offense deserves to be in the bottom 25. Maybe they should just give the opponents the ball every series since the defense scores the majority of their points.

Actually...why are there any Big 10 teams in there at all? If their signature wins come against equally inept Big 10 teams, what good are they except as cannon fodder for real football teams to embarrass in the bowl games?

This poll? Heck...might be better to be left off this poll completely since it so obviously is based on name recognition and "homer" votes anyway. Absolutely worthless... :angry:

:yeah

The AP Poll is a lot better, but not a ton.

1 Florida (55) 4-0 1490

2 Texas (1) 4-0 1420

3 Alabama (4) 4-0 1400

4 LSU 4-0 1225

5 Boise State 4-0 1203

6 Virginia Tech 3-1 1190

7 USC 3-1 998

8 Oklahoma 2-1 979

9 Ohio State 3-1 957

10 Cincinnati 4-0 946

11 TCU 3-0 896

12 Houston 3-0 844

13 Iowa 4-0 788

14 Oklahoma State 3-1 591

15 Penn State 3-1 470

17 Miami (FL) 2-1 452

18 Kansas 4-0 418

18 Georgia 3-1 418

20 Brigham Young 3-1 349

21 Mississippi 2-1 340

22 Michigan 4-0 271

23 Nebraska 3-1 256

24 California 3-1 206

25 Georgia Tech 3-1 185

To this I respond.

M-I-Z- Where are you? lolwut?

The polls are out. We are 24 in the Coaches and 23 in the AP. Frankly, Im disapppointed, I thought we would move up higher.

BTW VTech is 6 in both polls

Meh. Polls are stupid. But I guess people really didn't think our performance in Blacksburg was all that great - considering we dominated a team that just destroyed the resurgent Hurricanes (and notice Miami didn't fall that far - people still think they are good).

Oh well - now let's destroy Gabbert and Mizzou.

This is ridiculous, and quite upsetting, to me at least. I know the polls don't mean much, and there's a lot of football still left to be played, but this is a slap in the face IMO. The Huskers are getting no respect at all. With a win against VT, Nebraska would be a Top 10 team right now. Instead, with a 1-point loss, they are stuck at 23/24. Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. :wtf

If you live outside of Nebraska (like me), the only highlights or recaps you see are maybe if ESPN decides to put something up. Nebraska rarely gets much mention if they win, but I assure you that they make the regular highlights across the nation when they lose. Now.....if you remember back to those VT highlights, ESPN portrayed a much different game than actually happened if you watched it. There was nary a mention of NU's dominance for 58 minutes of the game, but they sure made Tyrod Taylor sound like he was Heisman material for his Hail Mary. All of NU's highlights were left on the tape room floor. How can you expect to get any respect if the true story isn't told? They might as well have beaten us by 30 points.

All of the previous posters made excellent points, and I have to agree that the polls this year are an absolute joke. Just one example: Since when does Missouri jump NU in one of the polls after their limp-wristed performance this week versus our dominant one? However, there is a way to take the pollsters and ESPN's selective video editing out of the equation: Win ball games and pile on the points so the national media can't say that NU "escaped" with a win--because you know they will say that if they can. If NU takes care of business in the regular season and beats the likes of MU, KU, OU, and UT or OU a second time, they can't be denied--even by ESPN and voters like Herby. I'm not saying that we're going to do it, but if we do, we're sitting pretty in a BCS bowl with Suh & Company harassing USC's freshman quarterback. Now that'd be a game I'd love to see.

Why stress over this, if you win your games you are fine, if not you are in trouble, clear as day if you ask me. This is only September, if memory serves the only poll that will eventually matter is the one in January? You cannot expect to feast on Sunbelt teams and then get into the top 10, it just doesn't work that way.