There is no place like Nebraska

knapplc

This article was posted as a link in Stewart Mandel's mailbag on SI.com:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ.../mailbag/1.html

I don't have a question, just a comment. I'm a diehard Husker, but I'm pretty disappointed for Baylor losing Robert Griffin. I was really looking forward to seeing NU go against Baylor this year, and long-term, Baylor getting that program back on track. I'm sure they must be devastated.

-- Andy Morrison, San Diego

This is why Nebraska fans are widely regarded as the classiest in the country.

just got done reading the article. Very true. Let me share my first experience when I went to memorial for the 2006 KU game.

I have friends that live outside of milford with season tickets and they invited me to the KU game. I showed up at their cabin to hitch a ride to Memorial with them. I was a little nervous, wearing all crimson and blue. We got to our parking spot, about a half mile to a mile walk from the stadium. Right away i was assured that this would not be the brawl in Lincoln. I was being waved at, patted on the back, invited into tailgates, and these people had no clue who I was. I sit in the north endzone about 15 rows from the field right to the right of the goalposts. The people around me joked with me all nite and I had a great time. One of the best memories I have of watching my hawks, even if we did lose in overtime. I have been back to memorial numerous times and have enjoyed it each and every time. I am glad I live among you guys with how big of a football fan I am, you guys are mostly kind, generous, and knowledgeable about football. You guys sometimes even handle ribbing too.

:-)

Rest assured that when im on my own boards and someone posts a negative about going to lincoln, i am quick to point out they are lying. It is usually proven to be a lie. Till Nov, Laters.

During the game, 86000 cheered as Nebraska rolled. They didn't leave at halftime to go out and start drinking (and remember it was 34-0 at the half). Some were outside, but they had passes to get back in and by the time the second half was ready to kick off, they were all back in their seats.

In the fourth quarter there were STILL over 80000 in the stands. Security keeps an eye out for the sign of alcohol in the stands, which is how trouble starts. If they see alcohol they don't turn a blind eye. After all, college football is about a FAMILY atmosphere.

And when it ended, the fans stayed for another Cornhusker tradition. They applauded the Cajuns as they left the field.

I've been to Lincoln twice.

I was impressed with the courteousness of the fans.

All wearing red.

Great atmosphere.

The tradition, etc.

But, I seriously have to question this guy's article.

It's easy to keep 80K butts in the seats when the team is winning.

I was there last year when the fans were leaving IN DROVES midway through the 2nd half when Mizzou was pounding the Huskers.

I have photos. I have videos. So I have factual evidence to back up my statement, knapp.

Less than half the fans were still in the stadium at the concolusion.

Nothing in Columbia can compare to Lincoln.

Your fans are more well behaved....passion level is the same....but the loyalty in Lincoln is something to be admired.

I'm not turning this into a bashfest because I know Columbia can't compare, I'm just questioning this guy's article.

Hello everyone,

You can blame that blog on me.

It was a pleasure to be a part of the 300th Consecutive Sellout at Memorial Stadium last Saturday. And I must say that I've never had a response to anything I've written in the past like this.

I have received over five dozen emails from Nebraska fans from all over the country commenting on the blog. There's an awful lot of pride...and that's understandable, because you have an awful lot to be proud of.

And to Tiger Tim....let me illustrate for you....

The previous week, I was at Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge. At halftime it was still a football game. LSU had kicked a field goal to go up 17-3. By the time halftime was over, 15000 fans had left to go outside, watch other games and drink.

At the end of the third quarter (24-3) Tiger Stadium was half empty.

By the time the game ended, there were maybe 15000 fans left in the 91000 seat stadium. 6000 of them were wearing red.

I am sure there have been times when Nebraska fans have left early. But they didn't on Saturday in a game that was over midway through the second quarter.

Get my point?

Now, to the rest of you....thank you for your hospitality and your passion for college football. I do believe that we are a better football team than what we showed on Saturday and hopefully we'll show that when conference play opens for us on Oct. 10th.

You all have made me a Huskers fan forever.....

And, thanks for wearing all that Ragin Cajun Red to the game last Saturday :clap

Sincerely

Jay Walker

Ragin Cajuns Radio Network

Hello everyone,

It was a pleasure to be a part of the 300th Consecutive Sellout at Memorial Stadium last Saturday. And I must say that I've never had a response to anything I've written in the past like this.

I have received over five dozen emails from Nebraska fans from all over the country commenting on the blog. There's an awful lot of pride...and that's understandable, because you have an awful lot to be proud of.

The previous week, I was at Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge. At halftime it was still a football game. LSU had kicked a field goal to go up 17-3. By the time halftime was over, 15000 fans had left to go outside, watch other games and drink.

By the time the game ended, there were maybe 15000 fans left in the 91000 seat stadium. 6000 of them were wearing red.

I am sure there have been times when Nebraska fans have left early. But they didn't on Saturday in a game that was over midway through the second quarter.

Get my point?

Now, to the rest of you....thank you for your hospitality and your passion for college football. I do believe that we are a better football team than what we showed on Saturday and hopefully we'll show that when conference play opens for us on Oct. 10th.

And, thanks for wearing all that Ragin Cajun Red to the game last Saturday :clap

Sincerely

Jay Walker

Welcome to the bored Jay, stay around and chat with us. I enjoy outsiders opinions (especially when they talk so nice about us) on our huskers as we all look through the rose colored goggles on occasion.

Hello everyone,

Get my point?

Sincerely

Jay Walker

I was there last year when the fans were leaving IN DROVES midway through the 2nd half when Mizzou was pounding the Huskers.

I have photos. I have videos. So I have factual evidence to back up my statement, knapp.

You just can't help having your cup of FAIL filled over and over and over, can you? :clap

Hello everyone,

Get my point?

Sincerely

Jay Walker

stick around and talk some football, keep us updated on what's going on with the ragin cajuns.

You just can't help having your cup of FAIL filled over and over and over, can you? :clap

Ummmm, no cup of FAIL on my menu.

The game he attended was:

300th sellout

Homecoming

retro week

gorgeous weather

and your team was shelling a nobody.

All I'm stating is that he wouldn't have made the comment about the fans in the seats at the conclusion of the game if he was there for the Mizzou-Husker tilt last October.

Why do you feel the need to go after every one of my posts, knapp?

It WAS factual (because that's your hot button)

It just dawned on me.

I think the fans stayed to watch the end of the game, because they know they're not going to get too many more of these wins in 2009. :o

Hello everyone,

Get my point?

Sincerely

Jay Walker

Jay,

Glad you had a great time! We hope you stick around and talk football with us. We enjoy having fans from other teams on the forum. Best of luck to you guys the rest of the season! :cheers