How would you rank them?

junior4949

Last night on Sports Nightly, they were breaking down the team in groups and ranking them with their play thus far. How would you rank them?

Offensive Line: I give them a B+. They are doing some very good things out there, and they have beaten my expectations so far with their blocking. The only reason they don't get an A is because of the mental breakdowns and penalties especially with regards to the VT game and the 1st and goal eventually becoming a 4th and goal from like the 38.

Quarterbacks: I give them a B+. This group had me the most nervous coming into the season. It would have been an easy A had it not been for the VT game. Of course, Lee's numbers would have looked much better in that game with a little help from his receivers. I think we're set up pretty good at this position for years to come.

Running backs: I give them an A. We knew Helu was going to be pretty good, but he's been fantastic. Again, I think we're set up pretty good here for years to come.

Wide Receivers: I give them a C. Maybe this is a bit harsh, but we just don't seem to have any consistent play here. One guy may break out this week, and then do little to nothing the following week. There have been way too many dropped balls as far as I'm concerned. We need to get more consistent here. We have the athletes, but they just need to develop.

Defensive Line: I give them an A. This might be a bit high because they came in with some really high expectations this year. They've been solid, and I think they will be the difference makers against some of the high profile spreads we will face in Big 12 play.

Linebackers: I give them a C. They were a question mark coming into the season, and as far as I'm concerned they are still a big question mark. Their play really concerns me against Mizzou and TTech. They seem to be out of position way too much.

Secondary: I give them a B+. They have really stepped up this year. Other than the meltdown against VT, they have played pretty good. If we get any pressure on the QB at all, these guys can make the plays.

Special Teams: I give them an A. It's hard to lump them all together for a rating, but our FG kicker is probably one of the best in the game.

I think your grading is pretty spot on and about where I would put them all. One issue might be that there is no #3 back behind the 2 mentioned that can be counted on, and the D-Line started kind of slow against FAU. The secondary has been a surprising strength so far. Fun to see.

Offensive Line: B

Too many critical penalties have killed some drives. They have managed to keep Zac off his rear while dominating the line and opening up some holes for the run.

Quarterbacks: B

Played well so far, the VT numbers made Lee look worse than he probably really was. But even if the drops were caught, he was still only getting about 50% comp. We'll see what happens in conference play. Cody Green has a strong arm and is an obvious threat to tuck and run if needed.

Running backs: A

Helu is reaping the benefits of adding some weight as he is quicker and stronger getting through the line. Lets just hope he doesn't decide to bolt to the NFL. Burkhead is running well as his backup, I'm still waiting for him to breakout into open field to show off some speed.

Wide Receivers: C

Paul is doing better but seems to be inconsistent. Holt, dang dude, you gotta hold onto the ball. Brooks is getting involved, but I'm still waiting for one of these three to seperate themselves. Gilleylen is a nice suprise, catching a few passes over the middle for long gains. McNeil is still grabbing everything that is thrown his way, providing Lee with safety valve.

Defensive Line: B

They have been winning the battles, but they have not been dominating. It could be that teams are leaving 8-9 in the box and trying to beat the cover, but they need to get in the backfield more, only 4 sacks in 4 games from the DL.

Linebackers: C

Youth/lack of experience is what we thought. The guys are playing with intensity, but usually not until the ball is at or past them. Fisher and Compton are leading the LBs with 20 tackles each.

Secondary: B

So far,(minus the meltdown in Blacksburg) so good. Hopfully PJ Smith is ready to step up due to Thenarse's injury. Amukamura, Asante and O'Hanlon(yes I said it) are playing aggresive but not carelessly and are going to give B12 QBs fits.

Special Teams: A

Henery.

8 days, 8 hours, 16 minutes til kickoff.....

GBR

***SNIP***

Quarterbacks: I give them a B+. This group had me the most nervous coming into the season. It would have been an easy A had it not been for the VT game. Of course, Lee's numbers would have looked much better in that game with a little help from his receivers. I think we're set up pretty good at this position for years to come.

***SNIP***

I think the grade for that one has to be "Incomplete", at least in terms of this year. I would like to think that Lee's problems at VT were a combination of the VT defense and the fact that it was his first start in a major, hostile, D1 environment. However, we just don't know - Lee could just as easily be someone that looks great against lesser teams, and doesn't perform well against better teams.

I seriously doubt that it's the latter, given his JC career - he played the highest level of competition in the JC arena. But until we can see him in a similar situation as the VT environment (and Missouri will certainly qualify - meaning, a hostile, adverse setting against a team that, while not the caliber of VT on defense, is certainly much better than the Sunbelt teams), we just don't know.

***SNIP***

***SNIP***

I think the grade for that one has to be "Incomplete", at least in terms of this year. I would like to think that Lee's problems at VT were a combination of the VT defense and the fact that it was his first start in a major, hostile, D1 environment. However, we just don't know - Lee could just as easily be someone that looks great against lesser teams, and doesn't perform well against better teams.

I seriously doubt that it's the latter, given his JC career - he played the highest level of competition in the JC arena. But until we can see him in a similar situation as the VT environment (and Missouri will certainly qualify - meaning, a hostile, adverse setting against a team that, while not the caliber of VT on defense, is certainly much better than the Sunbelt teams), we just don't know.

good point....

You have to explain your ratings scale first. Traditionally, in the letter system, a C is considered average. But most people are used to a B or B- being average. Assuming the former, here are my rankings:

Quarterbacks: C+

Running Backs: B

Wide Receivers: C+

Tight Ends: B

Offensive Line: B-

Defensive Line: B+

Linebackers: C+

Safeties: C+

Corners: C+

Kickoffs: A-

Kickoff Coverage: C+

Punts: B

Punt Coverage: B+

Field Goals: A

They have been winning the battles, but they have not been dominating. It could be that teams are leaving 8-9 in the box and trying to beat the cover, but they need to get in the backfield more, only 4 sacks in 4 games from the DL.

Actually they have 6 of the 10 total sacks for the team thus far, here is the breakdown (DL sacks in bold):

Name / Solo / Assisted / Yardage / Total /National Rank / Big 12 Rank

Suh,Ndamukong / 1 / 2 / 18 / 2 / T-102 / T-14

Crick,Jared / 1 / 1 / 7 / 1.5 / T-168 / T-22

O'Hanlon,Matt / 1 / 0 / 8 / 1 / - / -

Meredith,Cameron / 1 / 0 / 9 / 1 / - / -

Hagg,Eric / 1 / 0 / 8 / 1 / - / -

Amukamara,Prince / 1 / 0 / 2 / 1 / - / -

Dillard,Phillip / 1 / 0 / 5 / 1 / - / -

Allen,Pierre / 1 / 0 / 13 / 1 / - / -

Turner,Barry / 0 / 1 / 2 / .5 / - / -

Team Totals / - / - / 72 / 10 / T-31 / 6

Opponents / - / - / 22 / 3 / - / -

The 2.5 sacks a game average puts them 31st in the Nation in Sacks per game, not too bad. Having 60% of your sack production from your DL isn't bad either. Suh is on pace to get 6 sacks this year, he had 7.5 last year and that is a lot for an Interior D-Lineman. They recorded the first 2 sacks that ULL has given up this year, remember that they played LSU and KSU also. Overall they are getting pressure and I think they are doing OK in the sack department.

Actually they have 6 of the 10 total sacks for the team thus far, here is the breakdown (DL sacks in bold):

Name / Solo / Assisted / Yardage / Total /National Rank / Big 12 Rank

Suh,Ndamukong / 1 / 2 / 18 / 2 / T-102 / T-14

Crick,Jared / 1 / 1 / 7 / 1.5 / T-168 / T-22

O'Hanlon,Matt / 1 / 0 / 8 / 1 / - / -

Meredith,Cameron / 1 / 0 / 9 / 1 / - / -

Hagg,Eric / 1 / 0 / 8 / 1 / - / -

Amukamara,Prince / 1 / 0 / 2 / 1 / - / -

Dillard,Phillip / 1 / 0 / 5 / 1 / - / -

Allen,Pierre / 1 / 0 / 13 / 1 / - / -

Turner,Barry / 0 / 1 / 2 / .5 / - / -

Team Totals / - / - / 72 / 10 / T-31 / 6

Opponents / - / - / 22 / 3 / - / -

The 2.5 sacks a game average puts them 31st in the Nation in Sacks per game, not too bad. Having 60% of your sack production from your DL isn't bad either. Suh is on pace to get 6 sacks this year, he had 7.5 last year and that is a lot for an Interior D-Lineman. They recorded the first 2 sacks that ULL has given up this year, remember that they played LSU and KSU also. Overall they are getting pressure and I think they are doing OK in the sack department.

I stand corrected... :worship as thus awarding the DL a B+ rating :thumbs