Rank the BIG XII Coaches.

Mack Brown is tough to rank. On one hand, his winning percentage is phenomenal. On the other hand, for all the games he wins it rarely translates to anything meaningful (conference championships, national championships, etc.). Take this year for instance. Texass hands down has the best team in the Big 12 talent wise. However, they let lowly Wyoming hang with them for half a game. They let lowly Colorado hang with them for nearly 3 quarters. He just seems to do less with more. He's able to beat up on the teams where Texas has a significant talent advantage. However, he seems to lose the games where the other team has similar talent. He's a great recruiter, but his coaching seems lacking.

Mack Brown is tough to rank. On one hand, his winning percentage is phenomenal. On the other hand, for all the games he wins it rarely translates to anything meaningful (conference championships, national championships, etc.). Take this year for instance. Texass hands down has the best team in the Big 12 talent wise. However, they let lowly Wyoming hang with them for half a game. They let lowly Colorado hang with them for nearly 3 quarters. He just seems to do less with more. He's able to beat up on the teams where Texas has a significant talent advantage. However, he seems to lose the games where the other team has similar talent. He's a great recruiter, but his coaching seems lacking.

Fair enough point. Even ask a Texas fan, Stoops recruits better. If Texas doesnt win it all this year, then itll be a long few years before they have the oppurtunity to do it again

Fair enough point. Even ask a Texas fan, Stoops recruits better. If Texas doesnt win it all this year, then itll be a long few years before they have the oppurtunity to do it again

Yeah Stoops does out recruit Brown, Idk how he does it but he got Adrian Peterson out of Texas to OU a few years back. I know Brown had to of been kickin' himself over that one.

Seriously? Past success means nothing? I guess that's why TO hired him.

past success as a DC meant plenty to TO. obviously, that and the salary constraints applied.

but has little to do with ranking him as a head coach.

want to rank him among the existing b12 coaches or talk about why TO hired him?

I thought this thread was about ranking.

do a search and you'll find plenty of discussion on the hiring process, my own thoughts among them.

Plus this isn't just about wins and losses. A good coach has many qualities such as uniting a fractured fan base and hiring good staff. etc.

BTW- the rankings are opinons and...

opinions vary.

The rankings and opinions vary...

You said it. Sorry my opinion means nothing and yours means everything. Pffft. Go ahead and show me all the stats that prove that Bo Pelini has done nothing compared to all the other big12 coaches in year 2!!!!

Plus a good coach has many qualities besides wins and losses. Uniting a fractured fan base, hiring good staff, recruits....swift improvement!

1. Bob Stoops - scoreboard

2. Bill Snyder - sad team, but starting to look (and will be) better

3. Gary Pinkel - hate to admit it, but is a great coach

4. Mack Brown - with the talent that he pulls in every year should always win the south....why don't they?

Next Five All Very Close

5. Art Briles - dude is making BAYLOR a respectable team

6. Mark Mangino - amazing turnaround with KU, will be a solid team for years to come

7. Mike Leach - big wins over OU and UT, cannot be overlooked. If only had a defense

8. Bo Pelini - reviving a traditional powerhouse day by day, will reach top 3 if offense does not stagnate

9. Mike Gundy - awesome hair and offense, will win the south at some point some day

Jury Is Out

10. Paul Rhoads - ISU is playing with passion again, we will see if it continues all season

11. Mike Sherman - A&M should be much better, but they are beginning to show small signs of hope

Oh No....

12. Dan Hawkins - gets good recruits, team is consistently inconsistent, wins a big game once in a while, loses games that reflect poorly on the entire Big 12.

He also misses on a lot of players as well. I think there is a forgone conclusion that every top player in Texas chooses Texas. Some kids believe or will choose Texas AM or Baylor over Texas. Just like our kids here dream of dawning the N. Some of the kids in Texas hate UT and would prefer to go to one of the other many D1 programs in the state, LSU, Oklahoma, or OSU.

I think BO is on the rise. But lets remember that before last Thursday BO had not beaten a top team. (that's also if you qualify MU as a top team)

Yeah it's just most of us have been able to watch Bo pelini firsthand and we like what we see. It's still very early but the progress the team has been making is very encouraging. Did you think there would be any publications outside of the state of Nebraska discussing BCS game possibilites in year 2?

I am not sure where the hatred for Leach comes from for HuskerMoon, but this is the 2nd thread he has started about it. Curious.

You stated in either this thread or the other one that Leach's players don't respect them and that is why they act like a bunch of thugs on and off the field.

Not sure is you ever check the arrest wire for UT and OU players, but they are way out in front in the Big 12. But no one ever questions Macks or Stoops ability to control their players.

Also, Tech has led the Big 12 in Football Graduation Rates for 6 years running. I am sure that is a good sign of a coach not having any control over his team.

Leach's football philosophy is to let his players play loose and he does run a pretty loose ship during battle letting the players make plays. But the rest of the week I guaranty you he is as strict a captain as they come.

Just a few examples for your reading pleasure:

http://www.lubbockonline.com/stories/03280...415487051.shtml

http://www.doubletnation.com/2009/4/14/834...ended-weve-been

When he learned that a pirate ship was a functional democracy; that pirates disciplined themselves; that, loathed by others, they nevertheless found ways to work together, the pirate ship became a metaphor for his football team.

Taking into account coaching capability, coaching talent, teaching methods, strategy, content of charechter, attitude toward players, attitude players have for coach. Ranking the Big 12 coaches...

12. Mike Leach

11. Dan Hawkins

10. Gary Pinkel

9. Bill Snyder

8. Mike Sherman

7. Art Briles

6. Paul Rhodes

5. Mike Gundy

4. Mark Mangino

3. Bob Stoops

2. Mack Brown

1. BO PELINI Yes I'm biased. VERY VERY biased.

Please NOTE:

since the parameters do not include:

NUMBER OF GAMES WON RECENTLY!

or

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY?

I didn't factor it in.

just another opinion:

Taking into account my opinion of their coaching capability, coaching talent, teaching methods, strategy, content of character, attitude toward players, attitude players have for their coach.

1. Bill Snyder

2. Mack Brown

3. Bob Stoops

4. Mark Mangino

5. Gary Pinkel

6. Mike Leach

7. BO PELINI

8. Mike Gundy

9. Art Briles

10.Dan Hawkins

11.Mike Sherman

12.Paul Rhodes

This is one of the better rankings that i see (not the one with bo at number 1 but the other one) My would look like this:

1. Bob Stoops

2.Mack Brown

3.Mike Gundy

4. Mark Mangino

5.Mike Leach

6.Art Briles

7.Bill Snyder (If it would have been anyone else at kstate this spot would have been Bo's)

8.Bo Pelini

9.Gary Pinkel

10. Paul Rhodes

11. Mike Sherman

12.Dan Hawkins

Actually, UNTIL NOW there was only one thread about "disliking" Mike Leach, this one http://www.huskerboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37150

I never said I hated him, I said I dislike him. To be completely honest with you with his coaching and running up the score aside, I just think he's kind of an arrogant fool that reminds me of a used car salesman. Within the past few years there has been a media love fest with the man and his "witty humor" and I find him just plain annoying. Thats about the size of it.

The only mention I made of Mike Leach in this thread was when I rated him 12th in my poll because I dislike him.

According to Rivals and Scout, a slight edge has to go to Brown getting higher ranked recruiting classes. You say Stoops recruits better. I say Stoops recruits smarter. Stoops biggest problems was Bill Snyder's biggest problem. Once they have an assistant that even shows a pulse, other schools pick them off as head coaches.

Dude, did you honestly put Mike Sherman ahead of Mike Leach and Bill Snyder? Bill Snyder took the doormat of all D1 football and all but had a NC within grasp a couple of times. Sherman over Leach? WTF?

Dude I did.. Along with Paul Rhodes and Art Briles and 6 or so other coaches. :)

Just because I noticed I didn't give you a complete answer yesterday.

Actually, UNTIL NOW there was only one thread about "disliking" Mike Leach, this one http://www.huskerboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37150

I never said I hated him, I said I dislike him. To be completely honest with you with his coaching and running up the score aside, I just think he's kind of an arrogant fool that reminds me of a used car salesman. Within the past few years there has been a media love fest with the man and his "witty humor" and I find him just plain annoying. Thats about the size of it.

The only mention I made of Mike Leach in this thread was when I rated him 12th in my poll because I dislike him.

Fair enough. His arrogance has become more apparent in recent seasons, and truthfully some of his game decisions are befuddling. But considering how he has made Tech relevant, completely changed the landscape of the Big 12 by introducing the spread, first at OU then at Tech, his ability to bring talent to Lubbock and still be able to compete year in and year out in the Big 12 South, placing him as the worst coach in the Big 12 and placing Pelini at #1 is truly arrogant.