If we had to play today!

Twodocs

If we had to play today! We would not have a back! Helu is in a green jersey and when Bo says he is fine.....

At the time of the TT game that may not be the case, but we really need more than one back with game experience.

If I was Leach I would game plan for this weakness.

The word of the month is FINE

http://www.omaha.com/article/20091013/BIGR...139958/0/BIGRED

Five backs battle for backup spot after Burkhead injury

« Blog - Sports Writers

Digg Newsvine del.icio.us Reddit Facebook Twitter

Filed by Mitch Sherman at 9:54 p.m.

Wrapping up a few items involving Nebraska's altered I-back picture at the end of the first day after backup Rex Burkhead went down with a foot injury:

- The injury is a broken bone, according to running backs coach Tim Beck. It happened during a non-contact situation Monday in practice. Though Beck and coach Bo Pelini offered nothing exact on the expected length of Burkhead's absence, it sounds like this will keep Burkhead out into November and perhaps through the end of the regular season. The true freshman wore a boot on his right foot today in practice and walked with crutches.

It's a shame, according to Beck.

“He was really playing well,” the coach said. “I was really proud of the way he was performing and handling all of the situations in games.”

- There's no reason for concern over the green, no-contact jersey worn in practice today by starting I-back Roy Helu. It was not necessary, Beck and offensive coordinator Shawn Watson said.

- I-backs Marcus Mendoza, Lester Ward, Austin Jones, Collins Okafor and Dontrayevous Robinson started today with a clean slate in the race to replace Burkhead. Beck said he's looking for at least two players to emerge. That way, if the Huskers endure another injury at I-back, they'll not need to face another situation like this.

“I think all of them upped their game,” Beck said. “They all know. I met with all of those guys and let them know it's going to be open. The best player will have the best opportunity. Maybe we'll have one. Maybe we'll have two. Maybe it will be all of them.”

Watson said the Huskers aren't concerned about finding a replacement.

“The next guy gets ready,” he said. “This is called life. You move forward. We don't panic about stuff like that. We have the next guy. We have more than two guys on scholarship. We're in good shape, so that's why we don't worry about it.”

- Mendoza said he did not travel to Missouri as he recovered from a bout with the H1N1 virus. “I had the swine flu,” he said. “I'm good now. It's over. I'm fine.”

A group of Huskers, including Helu, stayed home until Thursday morning. No information was made available on their conditions.

- Watson said the Huskers will not implement a run package for freshman quarterback Cody Green to take some of the rushing load away from Helu in Burkhead's absence. Watson said Green needs to focus on his job as the backup QB.

“No, no, no, no,” Watson said. “We need him. He's got to be there to help us win games by passing the ball. That's important.”

Green has rushed six times for 79 yards and two touchdowns this year. But according to Watson, Green's running ability is “average, in terms of his overall speed.”

“He's kind of a nifty runner, kind of like Joe (Ganz),” Watson said.

As for his progression at quarterback, Green is still working out some rough edges, Watson said.

“He's a true freshman,” the coach said. “He's getting better, but he's got some things he's got to improve on before we give him the keys to the car.”

If we had to play today! We would not have a back! Helu is in a green jersey and when Bo says he is fine.....

At the time of the TT game that may not be the case, but we really need more than one back with game experience.

Ahem. :tap: :tap:

Is this thing on?

I'm going to speak directly into the mic so everyone catches this.... Roy Helu goes non-contact almost every week for at least one practice. He has also taken practices off. He is clearly our best RB and we don't want to break him in practice. See: Rex Burkhead.

That is all.

Ahem. :tap: :tap:

Is this thing on?

I'm going to speak directly into the mic so everyone catches this.... Roy Helu goes non-contact almost every week for at least one practice. He has also taken practices off. He is clearly our best RB and we don't want to break him in practice. See: Rex Burkhead.

That is all.

:laughpound

I could help out if need be but I have to work Saturday until noon and I live 150 miles away. That'll cut it close. Let me know though cuz I was planning on getting hammered Friday night and may have to alter my plans. I don't block well with a hangover and my best 40 is somewheres in the 6.8 range and that was 30 years ago and I think wind aided. I know I'm not very good but I got an offer from Bill Snyder last week and may plan a visit to Ames later this year. Actually Bill Snyder is a neighbor and is looking at a car I have for sale and my sister lives in Des Moines so it's not like I'm going all the way to Ames.

Tech fans weren't too upset when Rex commited to NU. Even today, I doubt you would find one Tech fan (outside Plano) willing to trade Jeffers, Batch or Stephens for Rex. He would probably play IR in Tech's system anyway. So is Rex a much better RB than Tech fans thought or is Nebraska thin at the the RB position?

Tech fans weren't too upset when Rex commited to NU. Even today, I doubt you would find one Tech fan (outside Plano) willing to trade Jeffers, Batch or Stephens for Rex. He would probably play IR in Tech's system anyway. So is Rex a much better RB than Tech fans thought or is Nebraska thin at the the RB position?

He's much better than you thought. Or, rather, you know how good he is and are justifying not having him.

Either way, we wouldn't trade him for all three of your backs, and he's going to be our #2 this year and next.

For a school that's turned out quality RBs for the past several decades and knows what they're all about, he'll do.

He's much better than you thought. Or, rather, you know how good he is and are justifying not having him.

Either way, we wouldn't trade him for all three of your backs, and he's going to be our #2 this year and next.

For a school that's turned out quality RBs for the past several decades and knows what they're all about, he'll do.

Yeah, he has tons of potential and you guys are lucky he went down with an injury because he could've busted one out on you guys. But hey if Roy has to do it all that's fine. Or maybe Okafor...