Suh needs to be wearing a Blackshirt

Twodocs

it is about deserving the blackshirts. you shouldnt just be handed a blackshirt because you have STARTED a game or two you should be given the blackshirts because you have DOMINATED every game.

Nice thought...

But it started out simply as a way to differentiate the Offense and the Defense in scrimmages..

Then it became a unique way of letting the starters know they were starting.

Now it's either bait..or a symbol of an unobtainable perfection..

Wasn't it bait before? As in the starters worked all off season to earn them? Now they just earn them through part of the season. Also . . . they are clearly obtainable . . . they got them last season.

Finally, I don't think the players care nearly as much as the fans. They enjoy it I'm sure, but they'd rather just win games.

it is about deserving the blackshirts. you shouldnt just be handed a blackshirt because you have STARTED a game or two you should be given the blackshirts because you have DOMINATED every game.

Nice thought...

But it started out simply as a way to differentiate the Offense and the Defense in scrimmages..

Wasn't it bait before? As in the starters worked all off season to earn them? Now they just earn them through part of the season. Also . . . they are clearly obtainable . . . they got them last season. Are you suggesting Bo lower his standards?

Finally, I don't think the players care nearly as much as the fans. They enjoy it I'm sure, but they'd rather just win games.

I don't dissagree with anything you're saying..except "They" are obtainable.."Perfection" isn't..

It's just that the way of getting them is now much more vague..

Nice thought...

Not completely true. Every player knows exactly where they stand on the depth chart and yes, the blackshirts were first distributed to the starters to differentiate them from the 2nd and 3rd and 4th strings. Over time, the blackshirts became a SYMBOL OF DOMINANCE. It may not be tradition, but the tradition is evolving. I'm not against this because I don't look at it like destroying a tradition, I look at it like evolving it to be something that is a great honor to get. I'm not saying it wasn't an honor to be a starter in the past, but the defenses under Callahan were absolutely DREADFUL and to say that they deserve the blackshirts because we shut down Missouri in a MONSOON which benefits the defense anyway.... well I can see why Bo hasn't given them out yet. If we shut down Texas Tech, and by shut down, I mean dominate (not just statistics), then they will get their blackshirts. I think Bo wants to see how they do against a potent offense in FAIR weather.

I don't see why everyone is getting so bent out of shape. Red, White or Black shirts in practice... I mean hell, yellow, orange, it doesn't matter. If the defense is dominating, I don't care what color they are wearing in practices. If Bo can get them to play with passion and fire, then it's irrelevant. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the Blackshirts being handed out and I believe the D is significantly improved and it isn't just a fluke game against Mizzou in the rain (I think we would have shut them down anyway). But some people on this board are freaking out like it's the end of the world. Don't worry so much guys.

This isn't tearing down tradition like what BC did. This isn't shunning alumni players like Steve Pederson did or taking down all the pictures of past years, this is doing something that all coaches should do. Making the players EARN things. They will get the Blackshirts sooner than later.

Nice thought...

Not completely true. Every player knows exactly where they stand on the depth chart and yes, the blackshirts were first distributed to the starters to differentiate them from the 2nd and 3rd and 4th strings. Over time, the blackshirts became a SYMBOL OF DOMINANCE. It may not be tradition, but the tradition is evolving. I'm not against this because I don't look at it like destroying a tradition, I look at it like evolving it to be something that is a great honor to get. I'm not saying it wasn't an honor to be a starter in the past, but the defenses under Callahan were absolutely DREADFUL and to say that they deserve the blackshirts because we shut down Missouri in a MONSOON which benefits the defense anyway.... well I can see why Bo hasn't given them out yet. If we shut down Texas Tech, and by shut down, I mean dominate (not just statistics), then they will get their blackshirts. I think Bo wants to see how they do against a potent offense in FAIR weather.

I don't see why everyone is getting so bent out of shape. Red, White or Black shirts in practice... I mean hell, yellow, orange, it doesn't matter. If the defense is dominating, I don't care what color they are wearing in practices. If Bo can get them to play with passion and fire, then it's irrelevant. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the Blackshirts being handed out and I believe the D is significantly improved and it isn't just a fluke game against Mizzou in the rain (I think we would have shut them down anyway). But some people on this board are freaking out like it's the end of the world. Don't worry so much guys.

This isn't tearing down tradition like what BC did. This isn't shunning alumni players like Steve Pederson did or taking down all the pictures of past years, this is doing something that all coaches should do. Making the players EARN things. They will get the Blackshirts sooner than later.

couldnt have said it better myself...

Not completely true. Every player knows exactly where they stand on the depth chart and yes, the blackshirts were first distributed to the starters to differentiate them from the 2nd and 3rd and 4th strings. Over time, the blackshirts became a SYMBOL OF DOMINANCE. It may not be tradition, but the tradition is evolving.

I don't know. Like I said, I could name several years in the 80s where our current D is playing better than those old Blackshirts.

I get the "evolving" argument here. I just don't agree with it. It's becoming some bizarre sideshow distraction.

Bo is doing a lot of things right. In my very humble opinion, this isn't one of them.

Not completely true. Every player knows exactly where they stand on the depth chart and yes, the blackshirts were first distributed to the starters to differentiate them from the 2nd and 3rd and 4th strings. Over time, the blackshirts became a SYMBOL OF DOMINANCE. It may not be tradition, but the tradition is evolving.

I don't know. Like I said, I could name several years in the 80s where our current D is playing better than those old Blackshirts.

I get the "evolving" argument here. I just don't agree with it. It's becoming some bizarre sideshow distraction.

Bo is doing a lot of things right. In my very humble opinion, this isn't one of them.

I definitely get where you're coming from. The defense is playing electrifying on their side of the ball. I just feel that Bo doesn't think they've really been tested yet.... they will be this weekend and I guarantee that if we win this game, the D will get their Blackshirts.

And I think the MEDIA is making it into more of a sideshow attraction more than Bo doing anything. It seems like Bo doesn't really want to talk about Blackshirts more than talk about the defense's play, but the media presses the issue. That's just how I see it. Anyone else see it like that?

If the defense shuts down Tech this weekend I still doubt we'll see any blackshirts. It's Bo's deal so he can do whatever he wants. But one word of advise. It may not bother the players as much but it is a big deal with the fans. I think the blackshirts need to show up for the fans as much as for the players. This is turning into a distraction that will just keep getting bigger and bigger and bigger. What if they finally give out blackshirts in 2012? You think that will be a big deal by then? Hopefully Bo will learn that as he expects perfection from his players we also expect the same of him. Bo has more faults as a head coach than his redshirt linebackers do. I dont need to review film to know that!!

MEDIA

They're certainly to blame for some of this, but not all. The fans feel ownership of the traditions of this team like no other team in college football.

If there were no media covering this team, none at all, still the fans would be asking where the Blackshirts are.

Very True. Good point. :cheers

Sometimes the Media types actually ask the questions I have as a fan..(Hate to say)..Normally, I don't really care about trophies and I care much less about the Blackshirts being awarded this season than I did last season...But yeah..It is almost a distraction (to us fans)..Which I doubt the players even care much about.

But it does seem strange when we're on TV and make a good defensive stand and the comentater mentions the "Blackshirt Tradition"...

So why am I posting?

dedhoarse