Shotgun

There are a lot of teams that are very physical running the zone read, for some reason we just aren't consistently. There were a number of plays where we blew the d line off the ball and gained 10 yards. Then there were too many times where they would put 8 guys in the box and we would gain 1 or 2. I think this is Lee's fault. I wasn't at the game so I don't know for sure, but I just can't see watson, someone who has been a damn good o coordinator for a damn long time wouldn't realize, hey we need to get these safeties backed off. I think it falls into Lee's lap. I think its one of two things: 1) he's taking this "manage the offense", "take what the defense gives you" crap the wrong way. 2) the va tech game ruined his confidence and now he's thinking that every throw he has there's someone too close and it will get picked off. I can remember at least 5 plays on sat. where I would see a crossing pattern with a defender about 5 to 7 yards away and lee wouldn't throw it. What happened when Green came in? He hit probably 5 slant patterns one of which was for a TD to Cooper. I don't think it's the playcalling or system at all, which was proven last year by Ganz when we were 12th in the nation. At this point I'm blaming a lot of it on Lee and some of it on the O-line. Although I would like to get out of the damn shotgun inside the 5. From this point on I'd tell the O we are going to use all four downs to get it in the endzone running right at them just to get that mentality in their head.

What the heck is a fullback going to do? There are no holes. Is he going to put his helment on Hickman's rear-end when a d-lineman drives him back? Is he going to put a helment on the D-end that runs right past Marcel Jones or Keith Willimas? My point is the o-line is below average talent wise. Or their execution and power is not good. Or the OL coach cannot access talent. Or the OL coach cannot coach them up. Take any pick.

WV and Florida are physical from the gun, the OL are the taller pass blocking types.

I think we need to return to the past and get us some real deal short-wide-quick road grader Olinemen.

The heck with trying to be like everyone else with these fluff spread offenses.....lets return to the power I with the option....the Nebraska offense!!

You need to go back through your programs. When was the last time we had short-wide-quick road grader OL? Aaron Graham was over 6'3. Rob Zatecka(sp) was over 6'4. Adam Treau was around 6'3-6'4. The only OL I can remember from the glory years being somewhat what you describe was Aaron Taylor. He was 6'0 and around 300 or so.

You will see Lee against ISU!

Pelliniu said this am that Cody Green did not grade out well at all and Watson has announced Cody is NOT fast! Yikes

Expect more shotgun and just in case you have not watched ISU they are playing well!

They are very well coached and will bring a great game plan to Lincoln.

We must win this game. It is imperative that we win alll the conference games and we don't have another till NOV 14 against Colorado!

WV and Florida are physical from the gun, the OL are the taller pass blocking types.

I think we need to return to the past and get us some real deal short-wide-quick road grader Olinemen.

The heck with trying to be like everyone else with these fluff spread offenses.....lets return to the power I with the option....the Nebraska offense!!

You need to go back through your programs. When was the last time we had short-wide-quick road grader OL? Aaron Graham was over 6'3. Rob Zatecka(sp) was over 6'4. Adam Treau was around 6'3-6'4. The only OL I can remember from the glory years being somewhat what you describe was Aaron Taylor. He was 6'0 and around 300 or so.

Relative to the prototype tall pass blocking Olinemen used so much presently at 6'5", 6'6", 6'7", etc........6'0 to 6'4" at 300 some pounds is pretty compact I'd say. A. Taylor (6'1"), W. Shields (6'2"), B. Wade (6'3"), J. Rutherford (6'3"), B. Stai (6'4"), Z. Wiegert (6'4"), D. Raiola (6'3"), C. Dishman (6'4"), G. Austin (6'2") and so on....To say the least, they had a hell of a lot bigger push off the line than anything we've seen for a long, long time.

Did you ever seen Graham and Zatecka in person? They were a far cry from compact. If anything, I was always surprised how "thin" they looked. Even Treau looked fairly trim. Taylor on the other hand did look like a big compact grizzly bear.

Here is a take on the Shotgun.. I heard last week..

I live in Oregon now.. so I hear a bunch of Big 12 garbage out here every week..

but this one.. they are right about out here..

when Nebraska, Texas and OU forgot how to run the ball / run block.. it was the doom for them..

look at last weekends games..

Nebraska - 70 yards

Texas-142

OU- negative 16

Teams no longer FEAR the run.. no fullbacks to run the trap... force.. Lee / Green to pass.. force McCoy and Jones to pass.. and you beat them

Our win over Missouri.. not a big deal..they looked like poo against Okie State.. thank goodness we don't play them this year..

I am no coach.. and do not pretend to be one.. But I have watched a gillion Big 8 / 12 games.. and now Pac10 games..

you can get by with a Zac Lee.. if you have a run threat.. at IB / FB

Expect the rest of the season to be the same.. Missouri and TT gave everyone else the Blueprint on how to beat the Huskers..

1 other point..

Refs.. I watched Bob Stoops @ oklahoma.. now I see his brother @ Arizona and Bo @ Nebraska.. and the same result.. refs treat the teams the same way those coached treat the refs..

it is no coincidence that those 3 teams have horrific "luck" with the penalties.. both against them and the "no calls" for the other teams... no holding penalties called?? with Suh, Crick, Turner? rushing?

My God, I would love to stop talking about when we were awesome we ran this, and when we won three NC's we had this personnel. Just please stop talking about it. What good does it do? Damn near every team, Florida, Bama, USC, UT, OU, LSU, has big o linemen these days. Even look back to when solich was coach and you'll see that his linemen were bigger than when osborne was here and solich was certainly from the glory years. If we would have had Andre Smith from Bama, someone who is well over 300 lbs and Fonotiu on the same side...both are big linemen, nobody would be complaining bc they'd be running through people. It's just a matter of giving the team some time to get back to wanting to "impose their will". Right now Smith (285) Hickman (290) or Marcel Jones are not getting the job done.

I know that it is the "in" thing to do on first down but lets face it, it is not Nebraska football to line up in the shotgun on every first down... we need to establish the line of scrimmage... i don't care if we throw it 64% of the time but we have to be physical..

The Shotgun formation that we run well we run that same formation just about 85% of the game and people are wondering why we are losing. When you run the same offensive formation over 50% of the time people are going to figure out what you're going to run/throw.

Everytime that we line up in the Shotgun formation with one running back by Lee you almost know what the hell we're going to run/throw. Have Watson line Lee up from behind the center with two tightends on each end and a fullback and running back behind Lee ready to run or throw the ball a few times. All of this Shotgun crap is garbage and we can't run it effectively like Florida, WV, Texas, OU, Ohio State, VT, etc.

Now you know why the Makovicka boys left the team......they knew that we would be in the Shotgun formation well over 80% on gamedays.

Now you know why the Makovicka boys left the team......they knew that we would be in the Shotgun formation well over 80% on gamedays.

No I think that has to do with one of them not being very good and the other one figuring out that he was better at baseball.

I don't understand why people think that we won't run as much Shotgun with Green in the game or that lining up with all these TE's will work either. We tried that last year with better QB, WR, RB and OL play and it didn't work. Why would it work with the current bunch?