Anyone else want the option offense back?

Where is McNeil and the TE play this year?

I don’t think McNeil is as athletic as we were made out to believe. He does awesome against similar talent but when we play the better teams he is invisible.

I think this ends up going back to bad QB and offensive line play. Zac Lee just isn't throwing to the Tight Ends, instead preferring to hit WR's on curl routes or the halfback for a dump pass.

Let me get this straight because I've been away from the board a couple of days. Everyone now is leg humping Cody Green and ready to throw Lee under the bus. Not too long ago, we were worrying about losing Watson after this season to CU or whoever looking for a head coach. Now, we're ready to giftwrap him and hand him to someone. We're ready to once again go through an offensive tranformation from the WCO back to the running option. We still are saying Solich can't recruit some several years later even though Clownahan inherited more future top 3 round NFL draft picks from Solich than Solich inherited from TO. Do I have all this right?

Yep, pretty much. This is why I tend to stay away from the boards after a tough loss. People lose their f'ing minds.

And as for the OP, I don't really care what offense we run as long as it's balanced. I would not want to be almost pure pass like TT or almost pure option like Navy used to be. So if you're asking if I want the old power option only and pray if you have to throw a pass offense back...no.

I completely agree with you. I was never saying that we should become unbalanced. I think that we could implement a power running game under the tutelage of the Wizard of O and yet keep it balanced. For many years I would swear at the tv screen when we would never pass, so I'm the last person to say that we give that part of the game up. I just think that if we can implement a clock-eating offense that uses elements of our glory years, it will keep opposing offenses off the field and thus make our good defense even better. In essence, we would be "strong, yet still in touch with our finesse side" lol. Keeping the ball in our offense's hands for 8-10 minutes per drive is one of the most effective ways to defeat the Spread. Come back with a 3 and out and another long possession and you can see how it keeps them out of their rhythm.

Absolutely not...Defenses too fast today.

The option uses your speed against you much of the time. It is brain power and athletic ability that beats the option. If the offense is more athletic than the defense the option will make you look ridiculous ... you can win games with 0 completed passes. As an example against Va Tech we completed 1 pass and won. they knew what was coming, they had speed, but they could not stop it. We do not have world beaters at the offensive positions by any means with the exception of a great B-Back in Dwyer, but he even only ran for 80 some yards. It is kinda weird but I view the option as more of a "team" offense than any other type. If the offensive unit plays as a team it will beat even a much more talented D which plays as less of a cohesive unit.

The option uses your speed against you much of the time. It is brain power and athletic ability that beats the option. If the offense is more athletic than the defense the option will make you look ridiculous ... you can win games with 0 completed passes. As an example against Va Tech we completed 1 pass and won. they knew what was coming, they had speed, but they could not stop it. We do not have world beaters at the offensive positions by any means with the exception of a great B-Back in Dwyer, but he even only ran for 80 some yards. It is kinda weird but I view the option as more of a "team" offense than any other type. If the offensive unit plays as a team it will beat even a much more talented D which plays as less of a cohesive unit.

BTW, congrats on the win. I hated seeing you play VT, because I like you both. I wish we could liberate your offensive staff, lol.

Let me get this straight because I've been away from the board a couple of days. Everyone now is leg humping Cody Green and ready to throw Lee under the bus. Not too long ago, we were worrying about losing Watson after this season to CU or whoever looking for a head coach. Now, we're ready to giftwrap him and hand him to someone. We're ready to once again go through an offensive tranformation from the WCO back to the running option. We still are saying Solich can't recruit some several years later even though Clownahan inherited more future top 3 round NFL draft picks from Solich than Solich inherited from TO. Do I have all this right?

We? <_<

BTW, congrats on the win. I hated seeing you play VT, because I like you both. I wish we could liberate your offensive staff, lol.

Back in 08 or whenever both GT and NU were coachless I thought it would be very likely that PJ would go to NU because of the tradition of option football! But I know Nebraska as a state loves Bo so that also made sense, moreover I am glad PJ landed with us! I think they are both good coaches... PJ more of an offensive miracle worker and Bo more of a defensive miracle worker. It made sense to get Bo since the D was the problem when NU was making the transition. I say put em both on the same staff and you get a reincarnation of the 90's huskers.

Gee Nebraska......where on EARTH are you ever going to find someone to help implement a power running game? Ever since I joined this forum, I've been saying that Bo has one of the best offensive minds that ever coached a college football team sitting right up there in the AD office and that he would be a fool not to suck every bit of information out of Osborne's brain. We're going to have the defense down pat. It is only going to get better every year. It is time to give the offense that same toughness.

Bring Osborne in to establish a power running game at NU. Is there a better man on the planet to do this? I'm sure that he'd love to show these guys how to do this, but he isn't going to meddle in their affairs unless he's asked. Swallow some humble pie and go talk to the guru.

Post of the month!!! :clap

The option's fun, it CAN work, but I think it's very difficult to perfect it. And yeah, we'd have to recruit a whole different style of players and I think it'd take a hell of a lot of time to pull off, all the while we'd be even more frustrated than we are now.

Bullsh*t. It would be almost impossible to have a worse offense than we have now using "any" other offense.

So..... "more" frustated returning to the option (which was never the total failure the current wco is for us!)??? I don't think so.

Yep!

Just more of the same ol Clownahan apologist propoganda....they never quit, I'll give them that!