The 'Booing' Topic

Landlord

Those of you saying "it's ok that the fans were booing, because it was obviously at the refs" are dead wrong...

Even if they were, you really think the players can tell the difference? If you think it's fine to boo the players then I guess I don't have anything to say other than "you are wrong", but if you don't and are still justifying the fans booing I think you need to realize that if you are a player on the field and you hear boos it might not be that easy to understand that they aren't directed at you.

Completely agree.... that we should let the players know we are booing at the refs.. in fact we should have hung the refs on the goal post by their stripes.. that would clarify and let the whole world know just how truly bad those refs were.

One man's boorishness is another man's accountability.

boorish, churlish, loutish, clownish mean uncouth in manners or appearance. boorish implies rudeness of manner due to insensitiveness to others' feelings and unwillingness to be agreeable .

A little help from Webster.

T_O_B

boorish, churlish, loutish, clownish mean uncouth in manners or appearance. boorish implies rudeness of manner due to insensitiveness to others' feelings and unwillingness to be agreeable .

T_O_B

Sweetheart, I know what you mean. You're not exactly speaking Greek here. You're just flat wrong that a person can't be a fan and boo at the same time.

You want to mollycoddle these players, go ahead. You'd make a great Buff fan. They don't expect much, and they'll cheer whatever their team looks like on the field. Here at Nebraska we etch our standards into the wall of the stadium. We intone them in our prayer before every game. And we hold each other accountable for upholding those standards.

You're advocating tossing out the traditions of excellence this program built itself on these past four decades. And brother, you're dead wrong.

I have the opinion that a husker fan should absolutely never boo a husker player.

I personally will never boo a husker player.

I will however definitely boo the refs, an opposing player (for dirty plays or penalties) and occasionally coaching decisions that dont make a whole lot of sense( punting when we need to go for it).

It makes no sense to boo our own players. Why break them down so they dont feel like playing anymore? Do we want our players to give up and never have any hope of coming back to win when were down in the 4th qrtr?

Also imagine recruits coming to lincoln hearing 85000 fans booing their own team. how many guys are going to want to come play here knowing that their fans will jump all over them when things arent going perfectly?

So instead of booing at bad plays lets make some positive noise for the next play and GBR!

:yeah

Right. And while we're at it, let's make sure all the drill sergeants stop shouting at our brave men and women in the armed forces if they screw up during basic. After all, only POSITIVE feedback is appropriate for our troops.

And let's make sure parents never discipline their kids when they're naughty or skip school or wreck the car, because our kids are precious, and only POSITIVE feedback is necessary to raise them.

And let's make sure that our supervisors in the workplace never give bad reviews when workers screw up, because only POSITIVE reviews help workers do better.

Let's all hold hands and sing kumbaya and and give the players great big hugs when they lay a huge egg on the field like last Saturday, because that's the best way to show them what we expect.

:vomit:

Apples and oranges man. No idea why people keep thinking this is a legitimate argument.

T_O_B

Sweetheart, I know what you mean. You're not exactly speaking Greek here. You're just flat wrong that a person can't be a fan and boo at the same time.

Sweetheart??? Still don't think buying a ticket bestows the right to boo players.

You want to mollycoddle these players, go ahead. You'd make a great Buff fan. They don't expect much, and they'll cheer whatever their team looks like on the field. Here at Nebraska we etch our standards into the wall of the stadium. We intone them in our prayer before every game. And we hold each other accountable for upholding those standards.

I don't want to "mollycoddle" anyone and if you think that's what is going on in practice this week, well lets just say its not.

You're advocating tossing out the traditions of excellence this program built itself on these past four decades. And brother, you're dead wrong.

Not advocating anything of the kind. I know the standards and where they are etched and one of the bricks in the south end zone was donated by our family. I know the prayer by heart. I also know that it is not my job or my right to hold any player or coach accountable for anything. The team holds itself accountable. The coaches hold the team accountable. TO holds Bo accountable and the University President holds TO accountable. Do I occasionally get frustrated, absolutely. Do I discuss those frustrations here on this board, sure do. Its a fan board that' what its all about. Do I boo, nope, never have, never will. Don't feel I've got the right. Do I think that 18 to 20 year old kids will occasionally not live up to my expectations, I know they won't. Do I think they are doing their best to win every game, absolutely.

T_O_B

:nanalama

Not advocating anything of the kind. I know the standards and where they are etched and one of the bricks in the south end zone was donated by our family. I know the prayer by heart. I also know that it is not my job or my right to hold any player or coach accountable for anything. The team holds itself accountable. The coaches hold the team accountable. TO holds Bo accountable and the University President holds TO accountable. Do I occasionally get frustrated, absolutely. Do I discuss those frustrations here on this board, sure do. Its a fan board that' what its all about. Do I boo, nope, never have, never will. Don't feel I've got the right. Do I think that 18 to 20 year old kids will occasionally not live up to my expectations, I know they won't. Do I think they are doing their best to win every game, absolutely.

I think we're way closer on this subject than this conversation seems. My point is that the fans have a voice in that equation I bolded above. I get where you're coming from, and I have no beef with your stance. I would not boo the players, just like you. I understand why people do, and while I don't agree with it, I'm not going to get too upset when they do.