The 'Booing' Topic

Landlord

When did we turn into such a whining, cringing, sorrowful band of misfits? What happened to the expectations of excellence from the fans? Where did the people with backbone go?

We can't boo now? Are you kidding me?

Pretending that you don't support the team if you say "Boo" at a game is laughable.

There is NO DIFFERENCE between booing and griping about the play of a player here on a message board. If you're man enough to gripe that a player isn't playing up to snuff here, be man enough to do it in person, too. If you're going to gripe about the coaches here, then do it in person, too.

You can take your politically correct BS and file it...

I have never booed the team or the coaches at a game. I doubt I ever will. But if I do, you can bet your sweet bippy they've earned it from me. I know EXACTLY what it means to put on that uniform. I know what the N on the side of that helmet means. If you put on that jersey, you had damned well better represent that N or you should EXPECT to hear it from the fans.

Husker up, people. Stop acting like a dissenting opinion is the end of the world.

If we are going to boo when things aren't going our way then what seperates us from every other fan base in college football.

why do we have to be different? do we things just to be different or do we things because we believe they are the right things to do?

It seems like whenever people put on their husker gear they also change their "this-is-me" behavior to "this-is-me-but-I-have-to-be-more-classy-now-because-Nebraska-fans-are-the-classiest-fans-in-the-world" behavior. Why does ist seem so important for a lot of people to have other fans and people believe that Nebraskan fans are the classiest?

Maybe I'm not enough Nebraskan to understand

No matter what side of the booing debate you are on the once great country thing got me going. While I agree with the statement "once great country" to a point. I don't think booing is a part of the problem. I think just the opposite. Adversity builds charechter and valuable lessons are learned hard. Too many things are handed out and given away. Too little accountability and too much candy a$$ing when things get hard. Booing when something stinks is fine! Especially if you are putting yourself on a stage by choice in front of 85,000 people! You can expect almost anything.

You can gauge the attitude of Nebraskans by what you are hearing in the stands. It's not just distain for the product on the field. Things are getting strange and they show in every part of our lives. Bickering in the stands, rudeness, and booing shows it. I saw it all Saturday at Memorial Stadium, East Stadium. Section 7.

Booing is part of that great given right our forefathers promised us. Freedom of speech.

Unfortunately they didn't promise college football players "Freedom From Booing."

I will cheer effort, I will cheer determination, I will stand up on 3rd and 4th down and make noise, I will cheer when the odds are stacked against..

but , I will Boo bad calls. I will boo poor effort and I will boo bad coaching. I'm not afraid to speak my mind and I'm not afraid for others to hear it. If you disagree with what I have to say. Thats fine. For the time being we still have that great thing called the first amendment.

:yeah

If we are going to boo when things aren't going our way then what seperates us from every other fan base in college football.

NOTHING.

Fans are fans. Nebraska fans might think they are better and might buy into the media hype that we are so great and can do no wrong. When it comes down to it we aren't any different than anybody else. We have been let down for too long and we are tired of losing the kind of games we lost on Saturday and it's showing.

Nebraska fans = Humans = Human Nature= Often not nice

The only true degree of separation between Nebraska fans and other college football fans are.

We generally don't assault opposing fans.

We aren't AS verbally abusive and visitors aren't afraid to come here.

We have sold out memorial stadium 301 times showing immaculate loyalty.

Some of us golf clap opponents win or lose at the end of home games.

When did we turn into such a whining, cringing, sorrowful band of misfits? What happened to the expectations of excellence from the fans? Where did the people with backbone go?

Pretending that you don't support the team if you say "Boo" at a game is laughable.

There is NO DIFFERENCE between booing and griping about the play of a player here on a message board. If you're man enough to gripe that a player isn't playing up to snuff here, be man enough to do it in person, too. If you're going to gripe about the coaches here, then do it in person, too.

I have never booed the team or the coaches at a game. I doubt I ever will. But if I do, you can bet your sweet bippy they've earned it from me. I know EXACTLY what it means to put on that uniform. I know what the N on the side of that helmet means. If you put on that jersey, you had damned well better represent that N or you should EXPECT to hear it from the fans.

Husker up, people. Stop acting like a dissenting opinion is the end of the world.

Booing, when the team and coaches are stinking up the joint, is always 100% acceptable. To say booing is not acceptable is just wrong.

Fans pay damn good money and expect their team to produce. When they don't succeed they have every right to let their team know they are not living up to their expectations.

Then show your "support" for your team by not patronizing the game. Booing is classless at any level of any competition. People with this mindset are a shining example of the problems I have with our once great country.

Dude booing to your NFL team, i can understand. Their payed millions of dollars a year to play good and win. College on the other hand, its kids playing, I mean you dont boo at kids.

To each his own guys. Personally, I think silence from the crowd is just as good as booing. The players hear that loud and clear too. But, who am I to tell someone else what to do?

Weren't some of you guys complaining that too many people keep you from standing at the games and showing your support? You don't want people telling you what to do and neither does anyone else... :boxosoap

What separates us from others fans is we won't accept losing to teams we should beat. We aren't KU, MU, CU, KSU, ISU, TT, Baylor, OSU, or A&M fans where if we lose a game we shouldn't then so be it.

We, NU have fans, have realistic expectations of Bo and his staff in winning all games NU should win while getting the program on track to what NU Football is and where NU Football belongs.

A real NU fan will never except mediocrity. Right now, that's the best they are. If anybody thinks NU Football being mediocre is acceptable, then you don't know NU Football. You only think you do.

Booing, when the team and coaches are stinking up the joint, is always 100% acceptable. To say booing is not acceptable is just wrong.

Fans pay damn good money and expect their team to produce. When they don't succeed they have every right to let their team know they are not living up to their expectations.

Then show your "support" for your team by not patronizing the game. Booing is classless at any level of any competition. People with this mindset are a shining example of the problems I have with our once great country.

Dude booing to your NFL team, i can understand. Their payed millions of dollars a year to play good and win. College on the other hand, its kids playing, I mean you dont boo at kids.

They are not kids. They are men.

YOUR Quote: "Wow. Im so like ashamed by this team right now. I've lost faith in this game. I know we came back against missouri, but out Offense sucks."

how can you talk like that, they are kids??

What separates us from others fans is we won't accept losing to teams we should beat. We aren't KU, MU, CU, KSU, ISU, TT, Baylor, OSU, or A&M fans where if we lose a game we shouldn't then so be it.

We, NU have fans, have realistic expectations of Bo and his staff in winning all games NU should win while getting the program on track to what NU Football is and where NU Football belongs.

A real NU fan will never except mediocrity. Right now, that's the best they are. If anybody thinks NU Football being mediocre is acceptable, then you don't know NU Football. You only think you do.

Are you suggesting that TT is a team NU should beat? Why should we have expected to beat TT? Why expect to win a game against a team who is ranked most every year (when we are typically not) and who has beaten us 3 times in a row? Yes we were ranked this time and they were not but it was early and neither team was yet proven. Still, TT has owned NU --- and continues to do so. Expect to beat them? Hope, yes. Expect, no way. What sort of realistic expectation is that? We should not have expected to win. We played a much better team than us. And we lost. Its actually quite simple.

Yes, NU is mediocre right now. That is, however, better than we have been recently and the team is getting better. We are still wildly outmanned against many teams and it shows. The notion of accepting or not accepting is absurd. Who are the fans to accept or not accept? We just cheer them on because this team plays for our alma mater or represents our state. We cheer for them and enjoy the entertainment and hope and wish for the best. Sure, we hope for better --- and I think better is coming --- but it is not for us to accept or not accept. It is just for us to support the team and enjoy the diversion.

Of course I was in a bar watching the game, but what I heard on TV were the fans booing the officials at half time, and more or less groaning over the offensive play calling/performance at times in the 2nd half.

First, if we can't boo the officials because "the players may not realize who we are booing at" then we better not yell "Suuuuh" anymore since we don't want any overly sensitive Husker players to take offense to that. <_<

Second, if groaning or commenting about the horrible play calling in the 2nd half is not allowed, then we should kick out 90% of the stadium. I was moaning and groaning about the 2nd half as more of an instinct.

Maybe if we stopped caring, we would stop getting upset over the way our team is performing. Then we'll be like Arizona State fans who can't even sell out a stadium. Oh wait, they were booing their team's performance a few weeks back too.

Are you suggesting that TT is a team NU should beat? Why should we have expected to beat TT? Why expect to win a game against a team who is ranked most every year (when we are typically not) and who has beaten us 3 times in a row? Yes we were ranked this time and they were not but it was early and neither team was yet proven. Still, TT has owned NU --- and continues to do so. Expect to beat them? Hope, yes. Expect, no way. What sort of realistic expectation is that? We should not have expected to win. We played a much better team than us. And we lost. Its actually quite simple.

Yes, NU is mediocre right now. That is, however, better than we have been recently and the team is getting better. We are still wildly outmanned against many teams and it shows. The notion of accepting or not accepting is absurd. Who are the fans to accept or not accept? We just cheer them on because this team plays for our alma mater or represents our state. We cheer for them and enjoy the entertainment and hope and wish for the best. Sure, we hope for better --- and I think better is coming --- but it is not for us to accept or not accept. It is just for us to support the team and enjoy the diversion.

Of course I'm serious. TT is not a good team and one that NU should have beat by 14+ points because NU is more talented than they are. To assume otherwise is wrong. Attempt to defend yourself all you want but to do so is putting yourself right up with the likes of Delorian, Ken Lay, and Bernie Madoff.

When I complain against booing, I'm not saying to strip everyone of their freedom of speech. And on the complete opposite side of the spectrum, I'm not going to on some PC babble about protecting people's feelings.

But I will say that booing shows lack of dignity and respect. My opinion on problems in our country is me calling it as I see it. People just don't care about anyone but themselves. Are you the kind of person that chews out a store employee to get what you want? Would you just as well speed up your car, as let the person with their turn signal into your lane? What did you do today to make a stranger happy? Boo them when they dropped a pass, or had a bad game, or called the wrong play?

I like to think I treat others how I want to be treated. And to me, booing is not a part of my vocabulary. I can't and won't tell you not to boo, only that I don't like it when you do. Boo hoo. There ya go, have fun with that.

Here's something for you to chew on though. Read it. Think about it. Then read it again and then think about it again.

Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory.

I want to answer these with a dose of honesty.

People just don't care about anyone but themselves. Are you the kind of person that chews out a store employee to get what you want?

If service is bad or they are unprofessional.

YES. ALMOST EVERY TIME!

Would you just as well speed up your car, as let the person with their turn signal into your lane?

Honestly? Every single day! Omahans are horrible drivers and I am a road rager. I'm also impatient and hot headed.

What did you do today to make a stranger happy?

What did they do to deserve it? Compassion from me isn't exactly common.

I'll admit to being selfish and a downright jerk. I'll also tell you thats human nature and happening more and more every day. Right or wrong, people have always been selfish.

Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory.

In what way was our offense exhibiting the morals of this stanza on Saturday? In what way was the lackluster play we saw out there exhibiting respect for the game? In what way was our awful clock management seeking glory in the deed? That's on the coaches and on the players. We cannot say they were living up to this, and it's not acceptable.

And let's not forget the tenets of the Husker Prayer out there? This is their prayer before every game:

Dear Lord, the battles we go through life,

We ask for a chance that's fair,

A chance to equal our stride,

A chance to do or dare,

If we should win, let it be by the code,

Faith and Honor held high,

If we should lose, we'll stand by the road,

And cheer as the winners go by.

Day by Day, we get better and better!

The team that can't be beat, WON'T BE BEAT!

We cannot possibly assert that our WRs were playing by these standards. We cannot possibly assert that our O Line was.

Holding the players who accept scholarships to this institution to this standard is our obligation. If the coaches and the fans don't care enough to hold them accountable for the standards we profess to hold dear, nobody will.

It's the proverbial stick and carrot. We cannot simply give them carrots and hope for the best. There is a time and a place for the stick.