Good explanation of QB situation

This is from Steve Sipple's Journal Star column, I think this is what needs to be done.

"Zac Lee started at quarterback and played OK. You can’t pin the loss on Zac, although his last two interceptions, as Nebraska tried to mount a last-ditch rally, won’t inspire confidence among teammates.

I’ve written more than once that freshman Cody Green should be the starting QB. Coaches this week contemplated making a change. Although Pelini said it was ultimately an easy decision to start Lee, offensive coordinator Shawn Watson sang a slightly different tune, saying Green continues to gain ground on Lee.

“Cody’s getting better and better and better,” said Watson, adding Lee’s edge is mostly in game-management issues, such as the two-minute drill.

Given Green’s steady improvement, and what we’ve seen from him and Lee in games, I don’t think going to him now should be regarded as a panic move, as some might suggest.

Lee does a lot of good things, but he doesn’t provide a spark for the offense. He’s not that type of player. Not that type of personality. Now, it appears Nebraska’s entire program needs a spark, which is why I’d give the keys to the 6-foot-4, 220-pound Green, a gifted runner and developing passer. It’s definitely worth a try, because something’s missing."

I have to laugh at Sip, and I don't agree with what he has had to say about this. Pelini is the one, with Watson, that is grading these guys in practice. I don't think Pelini would play Lee over Green if he really though Green was better.

Sipple is just another fan, with a pen, and access to the team. As a fan, like us, he has his opinions - which are not always right. Just because he gets to publish his in the paper does not automatically make him an authority any more than any other fan. If he is so great at judging talent, let him get a job as a HC or OC on some team, rather than just writing about what other people should do after the fact.

Also from Sip, in a blog post. I just vomited in my mouth a little bit.

* Bo Pelini said it was an easy decision to start Zac Lee over freshman Cody Green. Offensive coordinator Shawn Watson said the coaches never considered inserting Green into Saturday's game.

"Lee managed a great game, guys," Watson said. "I'm just telling you, he was perfect."

Perfect? Really?

"As far as getting us in the right plays and doing the things we asked him to do in this game plan, he did a really nice job," Watson said.

That said, the QB issue obviously isn't going away.

I have to laugh at Sip, and I don't agree with what he has had to say about this. Pelini is the one, with Watson, that is grading these guys in practice. I don't think Pelini would play Lee over Green if he really though Green was better.

Sipple is just another fan, with a pen, and access to the team. As a fan, like us, he has his opinions - which are not always right. Just because he gets to publish his in the paper does not automatically make him an authority any more than any other fan. If he is so great at judging talent, let him get a job as a HC or OC on some team, rather than just writing about what other people should do after the fact.

The media sees as much practice as you and I do. Sipple isn't a fan as much as he is guy who is hired to write articles for people to read. He is as much a fan as is Shatel. The only difference is Shatel is really good at his job where Sipple isn't.

* Bo Pelini said it was an easy decision to start Zac Lee over freshman Cody Green. Offensive coordinator Shawn Watson said the coaches never considered inserting Green into Saturday's game.

"Lee managed a great game, guys," Watson said. "I'm just telling you, he was perfect."

Perfect? Really?

"As far as getting us in the right plays and doing the things we asked him to do in this game plan, he did a really nice job," Watson said.

Ok, to quote another BAD coach we had not so long ago, "we are doing excellent in every phase of the game." Or something like that. I asked this question in another thread, could some coaches heads be buried in the sand? The article quoted Watson as saying Green is gaining a lot of ground on Lee?

Perfect? Really?

Ok, to quote another BAD coach we had not so long ago, "we are doing excellent in every phase of the game." Or something like that. I asked this question in another thread, could some coaches heads be buried in the sand? The article quoted Watson as saying Green is gaining a lot of ground on Lee?

Here are the facts. Had the receivers caught all catchable balls and Paul would have hung on the TD he was running for NU would have won. Lee played really well, not perfect, but really well. THIS LOSS HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH LEE.

Perfect? Really?

Here are the facts. Had the receievers caught all catchable balls and Paul would have hung on the TD he was running for NU would have won. Lee played really well, not perfect, but really well. THIS LOSS HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH LEE.

I was merely pointing out Watson's statement, but, to say that a QB played perfect (or even well), when he fumbled twice and threw 3 picks (granted we got both fumbles back) is a joke.

Perfect? Really?

Here are the facts. Had the receivers caught all catchable balls and Paul would have hung on the TD he was running for NU would have won. Lee played really well, not perfect, but really well. THIS LOSS HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH LEE.

Ok you, :box I never brought up Lee playing badly (though he did have some bonehead plays but so did everyone else on the offense, I swear to God they were trying to take turns and out do eachother :steam ). I was making fun of the quote and compareing it to "he who can't be named." Maybe Green won't be quite as good as Lee, YET, but as I have stated before, sometimes a change in leadership can do wonders.

i want a QB who comes off the field and raises his arms to pump up the crowd(even after a neg play), a qb who pulls his offense together in huddle or on the side line and gets in thier faces to pump them up.

im no expert on football, never played in school, or on a team, i dont know all the rules of the game etc, but ive been a Husker fan since i was born 23 years ago and i know Ne tradition...Lee just doesnt fit into the tradition.

Perfect? Really?

Here are the facts. Had the receievers caught all catchable balls and Paul would have hung on the TD he was running for NU would have won. Lee played really well, not perfect, but really well. THIS LOSS HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH LEE.

I was merely pointing out Watson's statement, but, to say that a QB played perfect (or even well), when he fumbled twice and threw 3 picks (granted we got both fumbles back) is a joke.

Lee didn't play perfect. But he cannot be tagged for this loss. Two of his picks easily should have been caught. Mental and physical toughness prevented them, and several others, from being caught.

This is also coming from the same coach that says "I'm a firm believer in that you play on Saturday how you practice during the week."

The last two weeks, he has really liked how the team has practiced during the week. The following Saturdays we lose 31-10 and 9-7. What does that tell you about his philosophy? It's going to sh*t right now.

Sip may go out on a limb with some of this work every once in awhile, but he stills knows a lot more about this team than most of the posters on this board do. I take his opinion a little more seriously than I do the posters on here given his longevity and work at his position.

I completely agree with him.

Perfect? Really?

Lee didn't play perfect. But he cannot be tagged for this loss. Two of his picks easily should have been caught. Mental and physical toughness prevented them, and several others, from being caught.

Two of the picks should have been caught? The one to Gilleylen was arguably catchable but by no means a good throw. The one to McNeill was a poor throw that didn't clear the linebacker. The other was thrown right to the ISU linebacker! Granted, many players made mistakes in this game. If Paul wouldn't have fumbled we would have won. If Helu hadn't fumbled twice we would have won. If Robinson hadn't fumbled we would have won. Even with those mistakes we still had the ball with a chance to win at the end. And Lee couldn't get it done. Very few of the fans believe in him anymore, and I can't imagine it will be long before the players don't either. Like someone in another thread said, he would be 3rd string at Iowa State. He's just not good enough to get it done in the Big 12. Of all the other Big 12 quarterbacks, I could only see him starting in front of the guy at Baylor. He just isn't that good.