How far we are from the elite of college football

CornBall

Still aways out. I watched Texas toy with "Mizzoooo" like a cat playing with a mouse. Toyed with Texas Tech much the same way. Texas never was really "in to" the Tech game. It was a mismatch all the way down the line.

Frustrating thing is that the talent level we seem to attract for WR and QB isn't that great.

The QB situation goes without saying. Not to say that today's loss is ZL's fault. It's not. But the guy still sucks for a D1 gig, much less the Big 12, much less Nebraska. If ZL is our best, we're in deep doo-doo, not just this season, but next, too.

I realize all the hoop-d-la over Cody Green and all that, but let's face it, if he's that good, he's playing right now. Evidently he isn't.

And out of this entire receiving corp, we seemingly don't have a real threat among the group. That's 6, maybe 7 guys that are riding scollies, and not a one of them is sure-handed.

Get the WR and QB situations fixed, you've got yourself a winner. But can that be done? It's going to take some serious recruiting. And don't expect some amazing turnaround in 2010. If you did so, you'd be expecting some FRESHMEN to step in at these skill spots and be game-breakers. They won't. :angry:

We're 2-3 years out from the elite, IF we take care of business now. Best case.

By the end of the season we'll have losses to 4 or 5 QBs who started the year as backups. Our backup QBs can't even get on the field when the starter throws pick after pick. What does this say about our offense? Here's a hint, it's smelly and comes out of a bull's ass.

We are far, far, far from the elite of college football.

How far? So far that you can't get there from here.

Never say never. I think NU will be a top 5 team again, just maybe not as soon as we all thought. The talent at WR and QB simply isn't there. Apparently.

I never said never.

QB and receiver are just two positions where they are behind the right ball.

Everything else looks pretty darn kosher to me.

Never say never. I think NU will be a top 5 team again, just maybe not as soon as we all thought. The talent at WR and QB simply isn't there. Apparently.

We were practically one play away from it, if we would have beaten VT, I would think we would have been damn near there after the MU win.

I never said never.

QB and receiver are just two positions where they are behind the right ball.

Everything else looks pretty darn kosher to me.

NU has one RB and he is a Glass Nancy like Murtha was. They need more than Helu x 4. Also some killer TE's and o-linemen that don't get beat by guys they should be blowing away.

The D looks good this year but they need to learn to be faster and hit with tremendous power. Oh, and they need to stop falling asleep and getting burned for the big plays.

Add those guys to the new QB's and WR and we have something to move forward with.

Maybe I should be recruiting coordinator and spell this out for the coaching staff as they are not getting these types of players.

Ask yourself this question then determine how far NU is from being where they should be.

Would Florida, at home, have lost to this ISU team?

I think you have your answer.

What is it after watching these games against decent (or very mediocre) competition that causes fans to even ask how far off the elite teams we are?

Well we are right there, if you mean in the top 80 or so teams in the country and near the bottom of that crew. Look when ISU without their QB or the league leading rusher comes to town and beats you, you should not even use the word "elite". You should ask wehn we will be a "DECENT" football team. We ain't there yet.

On a positive note, we do have an elite defense...I never thought we'd turn around the defense as much as we have so I give Pelini major props there...they kept saying on the telecast today that we have the best front 4 in the country...I like to hear stuff like that...it is good for the program. :)

On the other hand, I never thought our offense would be this awful. That being said, we need to turn things around on the offense. Looking for any signs of hope...Green will get better with the offense and hopefully play, Burkhead showed some good play before he was injured, Helu is great when he is not banged up, we got some guys coming up on the OL to hopefully look forward to, Robinson and Mendoza are looking alright for young players, we got good depth at TE, our WR's (well, I got nothing there). Anyway, we are far, far away from an elite offense but there is no reason why we can't build the offense back up and be consistently in the Top 25 with this brand of defense we are playing. I know some of you will say Top 25 is not good enough for NU...let's get there consistently first and then we can think about how we move back up to being where we belong. I thought this would be a year that we could plug along showing we are Top 25 but don't think that is happening this year...

Here is what I would do with our situation:

1) Build and maintain the defense because we have one of the top defensive minds in the game as our head coach (defense always will keep us in the game and draw the best defensive recruits)..sort of like Alabama of recent years...you knew they could play defense...offense wasn't the best. We should hands down be the best defense in the Big 12 and accept no less.

2) Build the O-Line (it starts up front).

3) Recruit and produce top RB's and always be able to run the ball.

4) Look for a leader and playmaker at QB.

5) Get WR's that are playmakers and can catch the ball.

There have to be some key offensive recruits that should want to play here because of the huge needs we have on offense. The defense will keep us in the game. You will have chance to play early on offense. Burkhead is the level of recruit that is major example of this. We need more of these types of recruits.