The obsession with Cody Green needs to stop.

BLB115

I was at the TTech game. I'm not trying to knock the guy. He is not Jesus f-ing Christ like everyone else thinks he is. He threw at least 3 picks that were dropped during the ttech game. His stats were padded against sunbelt opponents like lee's are. Why is he so much better? He is better at stepping up in the pocket, but does that lead to a higher completion rate?

he could be a spark.

a spark in a dry, desolate desert that is NU offense. maybe he could make something happen....I agree if he was freaking good enough to start, he would be...but after 4 games of crap play by many on offense maybe he could provide some plays? who knows?

uh, the coaches do...and when he gets in, it will be the right time.

I was at the TTech game. I'm not trying to knock the guy. He is not Jesus f-ing Christ like everyone else thinks he is. He threw at least 3 picks that were dropped during the ttech game. His stats were padded against sunbelt opponents like lee's are. Why is he so much better? He is better at stepping up in the pocket, but does that lead to a higher completion rate?

Um. I don't think anyone that is for Green thinks he's Jesus. But I do think he brings a different element to the running game. That's it and that's all. Zone reads and option work super well with a guy that has zero running ability. And he's sort of a wuss too. He avoids contact. We're not expecting him to come in as a drop back passer, go through is progressions, look off safeties, etc. It would be nice for him to get in for at least a couple snaps to give the defense a different look.

Completions are irrelevant if you throw picks at inconvenient time. Completion rates mean nothing when you're throwing laterals or screen passes all day for hardly any yards..

What does matter is presence, being able to run the football, and deciding what to do when the ball is in your hands instead of putting around.

Lee has lost his confidence and his poise.. He looks like a beaten, down trodden puppy on the field. It's time for him to spend the rest of his days licking his wounds and warming the bench for the 1st strings.

I don't understand how you can argue Green's stats were significantly padded considering the kid only got garbage snaps at the end of the games when our 2nd / 3rd string receivers were in. (Not saying much because our 1st string is almost as bad as our 4th string guys). However, most people are tired of Zac Lee's indecisiveness. I'm fine losing a game due to picks / bad throws due to freshman mistakes. I'm not fine burning the red shirt of one of the nation's top dual threat qb prospects only for him to never see game time.

We're not going to win a Big 12 title next year or a BCS bowl with Zac Lee. We could do those things in 2011 with Cody Green and make a mid/high bowl game next year. It's a no brainer.

dedhoarse

Nobody thinks he's going to come in and not make mistakes. Hes a freshman, but I would rather have a guy that can hit a guy accross the middle that past 5 yards. The only throw that Lee currently has in his arsenal past 5 yards is a fly. Lee can not throw an in, slant or post that doesn't leave his receiver defenseless.

Zac Lee is not a D-I Qb. Sorry to say it.. I thought he would be and he just doesn't have it. If we still had spano i would say we need to give him a shot, but we don't.. Cody Green can do all the things Lee does right now so why not give him a shot

Completions are irrelevant if you throw picks at inconvenient time. Completion rates mean nothing when you're throwing laterals or screen passes all day for hardly any yards..

What does matter is presence, being able to run the football, and deciding what to do when the ball is in your hands instead of putting around.

Lee has lost his confidence and his poise.. He looks like a beaten, down trodden puppy on the field. It's time for him to spend the rest of his days licking his wounds and warming the bench for the 1st strings.

I don't understand how you can argue Green's stats were significantly padded considering the kid only got garbage snaps at the end of the games when our 2nd / 3rd string receivers were in. (Not saying much because our 1st string is almost as bad as our 4th string guys). However, most people are tired of Zac Lee's indecisiveness. I'm fine losing a game due to picks / bad throws due to freshman mistakes. I'm not fine burning the red shirt of one of the nation's top dual threat qb prospects only for him to never see game time.

We're not going to win a Big 12 title next year or a BCS bowl with Zac Lee. We could do those things in 2011 with Cody Green and make a mid/high bowl game next year. It's a no brainer.

dedhoarse

All I'm saying is the expecitions for Cody are too high. When he throws the first pick the next start, are people going to jump off his bandwagon? I'm not expecting perfection, but I sense a lot of others are. He is young, let him make his mistakes, and let him learn from them.

dedhoarse

All I'm saying is the expecitions for Cody are too high. When he throws the first pick the next start, are people going to jump off his bandwagon? I'm not expecting perfection, but I sense a lot of others are. He is young, let him make his mistakes, and let him learn from them.

I have never heard anyone say they don't expect Cody to make quite a few mistakes.. He is a true freshman.. Zac is not and has played too many games this year to be as inconsistent, indecisive, and down right awful as he has been.

The media loves Green. Tommie Frazier loves Green. He was hyped as a big time recruit last year along with Rex, so why wouldn't people be excited?

When articles like; http://www.omaha.com/article/20090908/BIGRED/709089819 get published, wouldn't you think the kid deserves a little more than garbage snaps to burn his red shirt?

dedhoarse

Did you see the game today? If so my question is why not start him, what do we have to lose. Green came into the TT game with us down by 21 and their D expecting him to pass, I like many other people on this board would like to know how he might do starting the game. It's not rocket science.

Did you see the game today? If so my question is why not start him, what do we have to lose. Green came into the TT game with us down by 21 and their D expecting him to pass, I like many other people on this board would like to know how he might do starting the game. It's not rocket science.

no sh#t, I don't get it. Is CG better than ZL? I don't know. But does it matter? Bo said yesterday CG ain't ready yet. Does that matter? If we had punted the ball right back to ISU on every drive we probably would have scored more points. The offense is worthless. And sure it's not all on ZL. In fact, I think he played better yesterday than he did the previous two games. BUT it just can't get any worse. Well, unless you play a one-legged, one-armed blind at qb. But CG is far from that. Now would he fare any better, hell I don't know, but for crying out loud, THERE IS NO F'ING WAY THE OFFENSE WILL DO WORSE WITH HIM IN CHARGE SO LET HIM PLAY! NOTHING TO LOSE!!

You are right. Had we started CG instead of Lee we might have lost to Iowa State without their QB or their top running back. That would have been a tragety. We must stick with Lee. We don't want to lose to just anyone.

A very simple reason, Green can use his feet. Everyone and their dog keys on the running back in the zone read, because Lee is not a threat to run. Sure he's a freshman and is going to make some mistakes throwing the ball, that's to be expected, but he can make it up with his feet, something Lee can't do. We're too far into the season to keep giving Lee shots, it's obviously not working. Sure, a lot of what went on yesterday was not his fault, but when have a stretch of 6-21 after starting out 14-16, and very few passes actually went farther than 5 yards, that's on him. Constantly throwing behind receivers isn't going to cut it. No wonder we can't run after the catch (when they do catch it), he handcuffs his receivers. Green should have seen the field yesterday, even it was in a spot series now and then. We needed him to get experience yesterday and next week at Baylor to get game experience for when OU comes to town. We've already seen how Lee plays when he's not playing a Sun Belt team. He flamed out against mediocre defenses so far in the Big 12, what's he going to do when we play a good defense?

I take Bo's word when he says that Cody Green is not ready and the Zac Lee is more prepared than he is. Period.

I have faith in Bo's judgment, unlike some people.

One's faith has hardly been rewarded especially yesterday. He's a new coach without a clue offensively. I think your faith is misplaced.

he could be a spark.

a spark in a dry, desolate desert that is NU offense. maybe he could make something happen....I agree if he was freaking good enough to start, he would be...but after 4 games of crap play by many on offense maybe he could provide some plays? who knows?

uh, the coaches do...and when he gets in, it will be the right time.

Everyone keeps talking about Cody being the "spark"...ever actually sit and watch a "spark" they are short lived, and it usually takes many of them to start a fire. Cody is NOT the answer to all the problems on this offense. Anyone that thinks just by bringing Cody in all our problems will be miraculously solved needs to open their eyes and watch the games and see where the breakdowns really are....like lackluster play on the O-line, injured backs, low production out of the backs, dropped passes, and all those turnovers. Fix those, and then and only then will the offense produce. I don't care who you have a QB - if you had JC himself, he couldn't produce any more with the rest of the offense playing like they are.

So, quit talking about a spark by bring in Cody, you are wasting your breath. If Cody was ready to take over, I am sure he would have already been the "man". I just hope Bo don't bring him in because of all this pressure from fans when he really isn't ready yet. The kid has virtually NO experience at D1 level. I guarentee Oklahoma would eat him alive. They will not be pleasant for whoever faces them at this point, Stoops would be salivating at putting a game plan together with Cody at QB, he would get a different look practically every down that he has never seen, and our line is not much protection against a good defense at this point.