The obsession with Cody Green needs to stop.

BLB115

I take Bo's word when he says that Cody Green is not ready and the Zac Lee is more prepared than he is. Period.

I have faith in Bo's judgment, unlike some people.

I think your faith is misplaced.

Perhaps you would like to tell me what my faith should be in?

[darth vader] I find your lack of faith disturbing (heavy breathing) [/vader]

Seriously... Lee is hard to watch. At least Green was fun to watch even if he threw some bad balls. If nothing else, fans will be entertained, and ultimately that's what it's all about, right?

No one wants to watch Lee. You should have heard them yesterday... staunch fan base... they were all vomiting by the end of the game.

he could be a spark.

a spark in a dry, desolate desert that is NU offense. maybe he could make something happen....I agree if he was freaking good enough to start, he would be...but after 4 games of crap play by many on offense maybe he could provide some plays? who knows?

uh, the coaches do...and when he gets in, it will be the right time.

Cody is NOT the answer to all the problems on this offense. Anyone that thinks just by bringing Cody in all our problems will be miraculously solved needs to open their eyes and watch the games and see where the breakdowns really are..

So, quit talking about a spark by bring in Cody, you are wasting your breath. If Cody was ready to take over, I am sure he would have already been the "man".

Weren't people saying the same thing about another quarter back oh lets say 17 years ago..

I think his name was Tommie.

Cody can not solve the offensive woes, but why burn the kid's red shirt only to not play him. I may not be a Division I Coach, but its not rocket science that you should get the kid some quality snaps.

You can argue that Green doesn't deserve quality snaps, but what has Zac Lee done to deserve those snaps over him? :dunno Maybe I have been watching a different Husker team the last 5 weeks. I would rather have a piss poor season offensively this year and get Green the experience of managing the game than to give it to a 3rd string Juco transfer. :rant

The only answer I can give you is practice. Bo seems to be pretty open about who starts. The one who starts is the one who shines in practice. If you want a freshman QB take a look at Tate Forcier. Perfect example of freshman QB. Some really great plays and then 10-30 against PSU yesterday. This is what Green will do.

At this point in the season with where we are, I'll take it. At the very least it will be fun to watch him play. What do we have to lose anymore people after 2 straight home losses? We can only gain by letting Green get experience.

If they hold onto the ball, we can still win the Big XII North. Everybody left on the schedule is beatable, especially with good defensive play. Isn't that something to play for?

Faith is what I had (even after the TT game), but it takes BLIND FAITH to "eat your turds and like it" after what we were treated to yesterday.

It's true that Zac Lee was not the only problem with the offense yesterday, but he still can't throw ball without stretching out the recievers leaving them exposed to getting DRILLED. The nice way to say it is that he throws ball that are "hard to catch" -- let's face it he has no touch! Add that to zero scrambling sensibilities and we have cascading problems on offense. What we saw yesterday has been bubbling under the surface all season -- we just witnessed the pot boiling over.

Confusious sez:

If it stink rike dloppings -- and rooks rike dloppings -- then it IS dung --

and

You can't porrish a turd!!!

If they hold onto the ball, we can still win the Big XII North. Everybody left on the schedule is beatable, especially with good defensive play. Isn't that something to play for?

Except NOW we could possibly beat K-state and yet they could win the North. The Huskers no longer control their destiny -Certain teams have to lose and the Huskers can't afford another loss- the stars have to align for it to work. (Hey, that's just what needs to happen for Watson's offense to work!)

I'm not saying it can't happen - but hope for this season is fading fast.

Except NOW we could possibly beat K-state and yet they could win the North. The Huskers no longer control their destiny -Certain teams have to lose and the Huskers can't afford another loss- the stars have to align for it to work. (Hey, that's just what needs to happen for Watson's offense to work!)

I'm not saying it can't happen - but hope for this season is fading fast.

Not true, we do control our destiny. If we win out, we win the North. That does include a win against OU, but still is the reality.

It does't matter who the QB is. Lee hit Paul in stride and dropped it. He hit Guillen over the middle and he played volleyball with it. He hit Holt in the guts and he dropped it. What gets me is all week long we heard we were gonna run the ball. Look at the stats. 28 rushes? Stop wasting downs and run the ball. It easier to convert 3rd & 3 rather than 3rd & 10.

It does't matter who the QB is. Lee hit Paul in stride and dropped it. He hit Guillen over the middle and he played volleyball with it. He hit Holt in the guts and he dropped it. What gets me is all week long we heard we were gonna run the ball. Look at the stats. 28 rushes? Stop wasting downs and run the ball. It easier to convert 3rd & 3 rather than 3rd & 10.

My biggest problem with Lee is his inconsistency on puting the ball where it needs to be. IMO there is a difference between getting the ball to the receiver and puting it where it NEEDS to be. He will make a nice deep throw, but on crossing routes or routes over the middle he throws high and behind his receiver. Take that Gilleylen pass that you mentioned. The ball was there, but was it where it needed to be? No. It was behind him between coverage and he hit it with his back hand up high. If Lee could just be more consistent on getting the ball where it needs to be so that it makes life easier on the WR's we would have a lot more 1st downs. I'm just a believer that Green can put the ball on the money with his big arm. He's got a cannon, let's use it.

Not true, we do control our destiny. If we win out, we win the North. That does include a win against OU, but still is the reality.

Iowa State now holds a tie-breaker against the Huskers. It's a safe bet they will lose again -- but technically the Huskers need that to happen.

Is beating OU a safe bet for the Huskers?

For all of you who are saying that changing quarterbacks wont improve the offense as a whole, think again.

While it is true that our oline might be bad, recievers cant catch, and the running backs cant produce, adding the element of cody green makes it way more difficult for the defense to zone in on any one thing.

With green, a zone read, all of a sudden becomes a gameplan. Of course our backs cant produce on those type of runs because the defense doesnt have to give lee any respect in running, because their DT could run him down. Green will make the defense respect them with his feet out of that type of play. Therefore the defense has to worry about both players. From that comes a play action pass, which our recievers will be more open, hence easier throws for cody.

I honestly think with some well thought out coaching and gameplanning that this offense could torch it up with only throwing the ball 15 times a game, with cody at qb that is.

I know hes not god, but the simple aspect that the kid CAN RUN(fast) might be all we need. I know that wont fix us fundamentally, fumbles, and so on. But my god with our defense that type of offense will score enough points to put a W on the board. Mark it down.

I dont want to get all of you butthurt with this comment, but take a look at the dolphins offense. In a sense its what you will get with cody at QB, only that you wont have to sub in someone who can throw.

I guess my question is, why can other programs with complex offenses (see: USC) get freshmen to play at QB and play well, but NU cant?

The answer: Watson is an X's and O's guy. He doesn't know how to teach fundamentals or execution.

I don't care who the QB is, as long as he can guide the offense to TD's. Zac isn't doing that. Two of his INT's were tipped because he didn't execute. One was thrown right to the ISU player.

Would Cody Green do better? Who knows. Lee isn't the whole problem. But at this point, what is there to lose? I don't know if NU can win another game with the way things are going.

For all of you who are saying that changing quarterbacks wont improve the offense as a whole, think again.

While it is true that our oline might be bad, recievers cant catch, and the running backs cant produce, adding the element of cody green makes it way more difficult for the defense to zone in on any one thing.

With green, a zone read, all of a sudden becomes a gameplan. Of course our backs cant produce on those type of runs because the defense doesnt have to give lee any respect in running, because their DT could run him down. Green will make the defense respect them with his feet out of that type of play. Therefore the defense has to worry about both players. From that comes a play action pass, which our recievers will be more open, hence easier throws for cody.

:clap

Everyone saw Iowa States bland offensive gameplan which consisted of about 10,000 zone read plays. And since their QB was a threat to pick up 5-7 yards every time, they dinked and dunked their way for crucial yardage, even against our great defense. Even when Lee does get room, he rarely gets more than three yards and looks lost running in the open field.

Even in the passing game, over half of Lee's completed passes are coming from quick screens to the wide receivers or curl/comeback routes that require an accurate pass but no reading coverages. Cody Green is capable of making these same throws. And his accuracy on other passes (over the middle) is already better than Lee's. Lee's psychological issue isn't going to resolve itself, regardless of how well he practices during the week. This offense can be decent with Green and a gameplan catering to his strengths, and decent is all it needs to be to win us games.

I agree with you, one thing that has been hard to watch from Watson's playcalling all season was this.

1st and 10 - Helu runs 7 yds to the left

2nd and 3 - Lee pass to Paul incomplete

3rd and 3 - Lee pass to Holt incomplete

4th and 3 - Henery punts

Im tired of seeing Watson pass the ball after a successful run, and im tired of seeing Watson, run 5 running plays 30 times a game. I know the Husker playbook has to have more than just that shovel pass.

I was at the TTech game. I'm not trying to knock the guy. He is not Jesus f-ing Christ like everyone else thinks he is. He threw at least 3 picks that were dropped during the ttech game. His stats were padded against sunbelt opponents like lee's are. Why is he so much better? He is better at stepping up in the pocket, but does that lead to a higher completion rate?

I'm with you!

We lost yesterday not becasue of playcalling or screen passes, but becasue we couldn't hold onto the ball.

And why did we lose the week before that? And to Va Tech?