I'm really starting to get annoyed.

HuskerT

Green be worse? LOL I don't that's even possible.

Oh it's very possible. I don't know if Green is actually worse but as the poster above noted it could be like people calling for Dailey when Lord was stinking it up. As soon as Dailey got the starting job people wished Lord was still around. Round and round we go.

Remember, though, that Dailey was recruited as an option quarterback under Solich...couldn't really throw well. By the time Dailey finally got the nod, we were under the Callahan regime, and running the West Coast Offense. Either way, I don't think these two are viable comparisons.

No, they probably aren't viable comparisons. I was just giving a recent example of a backup who was hailed as better than the starter. More than anything it was supposed to emphasize that there is NO GUARANTEE that Green is better than Lee. He might well be . . . but then again he might be similar or worse. :hmmph

For a more recent example: MANY (most?) posters on this board said that Lee would make us all forget about Joe Ganz. I argued vehemently against this. Who's to say that Green starts and makes us forget about Lee? He might do that . . . or he might make us look foolish and actually wish to see Lee back on the field. No one . . . NO ONE can honestly say that Green is better than Lee at this point unless they see them play every day. Personally, I'd love to see Green get a shot. He's looked a little raw, but there is no denying that he has some talent. Whether he lives up to that potential is another thing entirely. (remember, again, we heard all off-season that Lee had a better arm than Ganz, Lee was faster than Ganz, etc. And it turned out on gameday Lee is entirely worse than Ganz. Keep it all in perspective.)

The more I read about this topic, the more Pissed I get! Apparently Bo keeps insisting that Green isn't ready, but judging from Lee's and the teams performance this year I have a hard time believing that Lee is. Just because he's been named the starter should we automatically assume that he's ready and he's the best guy for the job. I have a very hard time believing that our record would be any different had Green been named starter at the beginning of the season. Matter of fact someone would have a hard time convincing me that our record wouldn't be a little better. I'm not saying I wouldn't or don't support Lee because I, like most of you just want to win, but if everything I've said is even close to being true, why the heck not start Green?

If Bo insists that green is not ready --- well then why is Green not redshirting then? If the guy is not ready, why burn his shirt?

If we accept at face value what Bo says, then the mistake made was wasting the redshirt opportunity for Green.

The more I read about this topic, the more Pissed I get! Apparently Bo keeps insisting that Green isn't ready, but judging from Lee's and the teams performance this year I have a hard time believing that Lee is. Just because he's been named the starter should we automatically assume that he's ready and he's the best guy for the job. I have a very hard time believing that our record would be any different had Green been named starter at the beginning of the season. Matter of fact someone would have a hard time convincing me that our record wouldn't be a little better. I'm not saying I wouldn't or don't support Lee because I, like most of you just want to win, but if everything I've said is even close to being true, why the heck not start Green?

If Bo insists that green is not ready --- well then why is Green not redshirting then? If the guy is not ready, why burn his shirt?

If we accept at face value what Bo says, then the mistake made was wasting the redshirt opportunity for Green.

Maybe because Bo thinks that you need a backup who has at least some live game experience in case the starter goes down?

Maybe because Bo thinks that you need a backup who has at least some live game experience in case the starter goes down?

I don't think Bo and company had a opportunity to redshirt CG, I mean look at the quarterbacks coming into this season, Witt left the program, Spano - hurt, Washington - moved from defense, Martinez - a incoming freshman that wasn't here for the spring. Of course you need a #2 qb and CG was our best option and still is. He will be the backup until next year. Lee will struggle, but this past game was just a disaster all around for the offense. Just not Lee's fault. Yeah, he did throw 3 int's, but two were catchable and ended up in ISU's hands. ZL will come back strong and finish the year strong.

Good point. All that is left is a linebacker. maybe you are right. Geesh.... this gets worse the more I think about it.

Good point. All that is left is a linebacker. maybe you are right. Geesh.... this gets worse the more I think about it.

Hopefully I'm dead wrong. The QB position is scary thin/weak.

Maybe old Bo isn't as dumb as some think huh?

Green be worse? LOL I don't that's even possible.

Oh it's very possible. I don't know if Green is actually worse but as the poster above noted it could be like people calling for Dailey when Lord was stinking it up. As soon as Dailey got the starting job people wished Lord was still around. Round and round we go.

In fairness to Joe Dailey, and nothing against Lord, he was an option QB thrown into a terrible situation of trying to run the WCO. I would have hated to see Jammal Lord run that offense. Yikes! Who knows how good Dailey could have been in Solich's option offense.

Talk about square peg, round hole.

Maybe old Bo isn't as dumb as some think huh?

This is what I've decided is happening. You can't tell me, as easily as Bo pulls guys off of that Defense and puts in somebody else if they aren't making plays, he wouldn't call for the QB change if he thought it would work.

Listening to Watson he said Cody is just now beginning to compete with Zac. I took it as meaning he was waaaay behind him. In all honesty, that is exactly what we've been hearing all year. I will say this, the Kody Spano injury sure looms big right about now, doesn't it?!

This is what I've decided is happening. You can't tell me, as easily as Bo pulls guys off of that Defense and puts in somebody else if they aren't making plays, he wouldn't call for the QB change if he thought it would work.

Listening to Watson he said Cody is just now beginning to compete with Zac. I took it as meaning he was waaaay behind him. In all honesty, that is exactly what we've been hearing all year. I will say this, the Kody Spano injury sure looms big right about now, doesn't it?!

If Cody is now just beginning to compete with Zac for the starting job, based on Zac's performances this year, I would say we are in some serious trouble for the rest of this season and 2010 on the offensive side of the ball.

"Not Ready"? If he can run the ball without dropping it on the ground; and/or pass it without having 3 interceptions in a game... he is ready for our offense!

The kid has gone through spring ball, fall practice, and we are 8 weeks into the season... how is it that other true freshman are able to play? ... When will he be ready? ... Why did we burn his redshirt if he is not ready?

Sorry for the vent, but I am still frustrated! And I am tired of hearing about how well ZL "graded out"... obviously they are grading on the Bill Callahan "excellent in all areas" Curve.

Amen to that. Your rant is well received.

Sometimes I almost feel like Bo is keeping with Lee just to show everyone else that he will NOT be influenced by anyone else's opinion (i.e. the fans). I would be horrified if this was the case but it does kind of seem like it doesn't it? He burns Green's redshirt and he doesn't give him a shot at playing in a game just dying to be won. Obviously we should have blown out ISU with Lee's play but still...

That's exactly what I've been suggesting and posters say I'm illogical or I need my head examined. Let's say Green starts this saturday throws 3 int's, we lose 5 fumbles and lose 9-7. What's the fricken difference. Give the kid a shot to start if he's terrible and we get blown out it would shut me and other fans up about it.

DUUUUUUDES! Hold UP! We forget that we (the fans) may have a vested interest in the game and system, but in all REALITY, our wants / desires really ARE totally secondary to what the coaches / cadre (there, I used that word again) think... The coaches are doing what they are TRAINED to do and that is (despite everything we may believe): play the players that perform the best in practice, evaluate the players in practice and game time, analyze it, compare this all to the opposing team and hope for the best!!! Sometimes you pull a win and sometimes... well you know. I like Lee, I like Green, I think we should play 'em both and I think you'll see both of 'em play real soon-like. Oh yeah, and the other part of the equation is this: When all you're packing is a .22 and you're up against a .44; take a breath, suck it up, be conservative... pick your shots... go with the most effective strategy you can use with that little gun. GBR!

And I am tired of hearing about how well ZL "graded out"... obviously they are grading on the Bill Callahan "excellent in all areas" Curve.

better get used to it.

as far as I know grading players in practice and game situations is how virtually all college coaches decide who starts. Nebraska has done it for decades.

Bo probably uses his own grading system.

From what I've heard Bo say, they grade out each position. I don't know the plays, therefore I don't know the routes. Is it possible that the WR's are running sloppy routes and this is why some of the passes are errant? Also, does anyone know how Watson sends in the plays? Does he send in like 3 or 4 plays each time giving the QB the option of which one to run depending on how the defense is lined up? This might be where Cody just isn't ready. Maybe he isn't getting into the right formations and plays with regards to how the defense is aligned. The flip side of the argument is Bo and staff over the course of a season and a half have shown they really aren't interested in getting the backup QB's any playing time. How much playing time did Witt and Lee actually see last year? It appears the staff is content doing this again this year with Green and Washington.

They do depending on what the defense does. Plus the set audibles. Cody has to know the plays, he cant burn timeouts and stuff b/c he doesnt know the play, or go one direction and the rest of the team goes another. He has to know all his reads and his check downs. He cant expect a WR to run a 10 yard curl and the reciever's real route is a post. That's a pick-six waiting to happen. Its still a mouthful to call one play, he's got to know it completely and understand it. He cant confuse the line and the sets.

Sure he would be way better doing zone read running plays with Robinson all day, and sprinkled in a couple of passes here and there. But will the offense be capable to take on 8 guys in a box and move the ball "at will"? That's nonsense.

There's a lot going on. If he isnt ready, he aint ready yet. Yet. But he may be by the weekend, or the following week with more reps, reads and practice. And if something happens to Zac, then he'll go in and at that time while they piecemeal it to get by.

If the offense puts up a turd in the first half though, I'm confident that Green will go in, they'll get by the rest of the game with him and with any success, they'll prep him the following week and he'll start against OU.