Essentials for a Visitor

There's also a mexican place called De Leon's. 24 hour greasy spoon style mexican food. If you guys have a late night/early morning craving and don't feel like Taco Bell, this place is classic. Don't eat it sober though. And take a Taxi - its definitely not downtown.

I thought there was one on O downtown. Right by Harry's Wonder Bar. Coincidence, I think not.

Like others have said, it's a litte on the pricier side, but Lazlo's in the Haymarket is a great place for Micro-brews. Try the Collapsar or the Burning Sky; either one of those selections will put you on your ass after a few. But hey your wallet will be lighter so... win/win.

We are all beer fans, what are the best Nebraska brews to try?

Like others have said, it's a litte on the pricier side, but Lazlo's in the Haymarket is a great place for Micro-brews. Try the Collapsar or the Burning Sky; either one of those selections will put you on your ass after a few. But hey your wallet will be lighter so... win/win.

Depends on the individuals taste. Dark beer is the Collapsar stout. Burning Sky is an Irish Ale. In fact, just ask the bar tender for a sample of what you want to try and they would be more than happy to let you try a taste for free. They are pretty proud of their stuff.

Lazlo's is Nebraska's first - and best - microbrew, and it's just a few blocks from the stadium. It's a super friendly crowd. Even in your Sooners gear you'll be taken good care of. Heck, folks might even buy you a few beers if it's not a really ugly game. :)

Best I've had the the micro brews at Lazlo's in the Haymarket. 5-6 regular and a seasonal brew. Free samples.

There's a Misty's on O st. right across from the Embassy Suites.
Good God, since 2003 no less. Somehow, I have never seen the place despite walking within a block of it for the past 6 years. Guess I need to stop taking just 10th street.

FWIW - I've eaten at Misty's downtown two times in the past couple of years, and both times it's been horrible. The food as average, the place itself is pretty meh, but worst of all the wait staff was awful. The last time we went there was over my objections, but we had friends in from out of town who wanted to go back to Misty's and since it was close to their hotel we went downtown. Again the food was blah, and the waitress was such a pill that our friends nicknamed her "Joy" in a little ironic joke.

And it wasn't me. I'm gruff and rough online sometimes, but I'm really fun in person, and I go out of my way to be nice to someone who's bringing me my food. But no dice - Joy was having none of it, and was just flat rude to us all night.

Beverages:

- I will second going to Sandy's and getting Elk Creek. It tastes exactly like orange juice and it will mess you up in no time flat.

- Bison's used to have good drink specials on Friday or Saturday nights ($5 cover, $1 or $2 drinks the rest of the night) but it's been a while maybe not any more.

Food:

- I don't care for Runzas, but the burgers at Runza are GREAT!

- Bisons has some great panini-style sandwiches.

- Valentino's pizza is good...but out of the way. Grab some on the way out of town...stay downtown if you are within 24 hours of the game either way.

Have fun! As long as you aren't running around and rubbing it in our faces, you'll have a great time with the fans.

Damn I miss Lincoln.

We've had the Valentino's discussion before, too. It's gone downhill in the last several years.

By the way - someone mentioned the D'Leons on O street downtown. It's closed, just a few days ago. Apparently they couldn't make rent. They have GREAT food, authentic Mexican, so good that I sometimes skip past OSO and go there. OSO is the best Mexican downtown, but they're closed in the evening. The nearest D'Leons to downtown is like two miles away to the West down O street, or way past T Town on 27th near Holdrege. Both are way out of range of out-of-towners staying downtown.

If you want Mexican after your bar crawl go to Amigos on 14th & Q. It's crap, but it tastes great after you've had a few.

If you want Mexican after your bar crawl go to Amigos on 14th & Q. It's crap, but it tastes great after you've had a few.

Understatement of the year! Drunk Amigos is so good that I now love Sober Amigos. I wonder if Woody is still patrolling that place at night...