Essentials for a Visitor

What do you think a good time to show up would be so i wasnt waisting my time most of the day.

It depends on what you want to do. I would say about 2pm would give you plenty of time to find parking, do an hour or so of sightseeing, an hour or so of shopping, then time to get over to the stadium to see the sights, etc. do a little bit of tailgating, and get to your seats to see pre-game. You mentioned seeing the fountain - do you mean Broyhill? I'm not remembering a fountain at the stadium...? If you haven't seen Broyhill for a while, they've redone it in the past few years and it looks great.

Isnt there a big screen you can watch the game from while you sit on a soccar field of some sort.

Absolutely! You should get over to Ed Weir track on the northeast corner of the stadium for the Fan Experience. I'm going to head over there for the first time ever this weekend, too. I've been to several games but I've never gone over there. There's all kinds of stuff for fans to do, and they show highlights and stuff on the big screen. I think there's a band, too.

Where is a cheep place i can pick up husker gear.

Nowhere is cheap. :) Typically, people go to four places - the Stadium Store right across the street to the west from the stadium, The Union on campus, the Nebraska Bookstore at 13th & Q or Husker Headquarters (still family owned) on P street between 11th & 12th. All are within easy walking distance.

Can i even get to some of the areas i mentioned above like the horseshoe, trophys, etc.

Sadly, you cannot get to the horseshoe. That's inside the training center and will be off limits to fans.

I'm not sure where the trophies are right now. I've seen them in two different places - one upstairs in the west stadium by the football offices, and also downstairs right as you walk in the west stadium on the ground floor in the lobby. I've been all over that stadium but I've never been in the west stadium during a game day, so I'm not sure what kind of access you have. In the downstairs lobby they have all kinds of awards and stuff like the Honda Broderick awards the volleyball team has won, and (maybe?) the Heismans are in there (or at least, copies are in there). I know I've seen the Heismans somewhere. I've been on a lot of tours, so it's hard to remember.

Somewhere someone wanted to know about Nebraska brews.

Empyrean - the flagship of Nebraska brews and carried by most downtown bars. Best selection at Lazlo's (its home) and probably second for Old Chicago. I like the Burning Skye (a hoppy scottish ale with a sweet aftertaste) and the Third Stone Brown (a very dark beer that doesn't taste dark - aftertaste of walnuts)

http://www.empyreanbrewingco.com/beers.html

Spilker - Too far away to get to the brewery (30 miles south of Lincoln), but they do good work. Their beer can usually be found at Old Chicago. I really like the Hopluia (a pale ale with some fruity aftertaste - If you like Red Hook, you will love this).

http://www.hopluia.com/

Gottberg - Also too far away to travel (Columbus I think). You might have trouble finding their beers. They used to have a Gottberg Wheat that was very comparable to a New Belgium Sunshine Wheat. They also had a 80 Schilling and a Tripel that were amazing. (I think the Tripel was 8+ % too. :dumdum ) You might have to ask around the bars to see if anyone still carries this stuff. One again, Old Chicago is probably your best bet to find these.

http://www.dustersrestaurant.com/brew_pub.htm

(If you are unfamiliar with Old Chicago - the food is average to above average, but the have ~30 beers on tap and probably another 100 or so in bottles. They usually keep a decent inventory of local beers)

:cheers

What do you think a good time to show up would be so i wasnt waisting my time most of the day.

It depends on what you want to do. I would say about 2pm would give you plenty of time to find parking, do an hour or so of sightseeing, an hour or so of shopping, then time to get over to the stadium to see the sights, etc. do a little bit of tailgating, and get to your seats to see pre-game. You mentioned seeing the fountain - do you mean Broyhill? I'm not remembering a fountain at the stadium...? If you haven't seen Broyhill for a while, they've redone it in the past few years and it looks great.

Im guessing he is talking about the fountain with the Red N in the entrance to the athletic complex. If yes, then yeah, im pretty sure you can get in there.

Like to play pool? Go to Big John's Billiards. Darts, Pool, TVs....food, and close to downtown

or better, the pool table at Duffys is usually open every game. They also are connected to Ali Babbas Gyros, which is a Lincoln favorite. Get your runza at the game, or maybe a slice of Vals. There are a gang of bars to try, but most around 13th and O do NOT charge a cover. Woodys, Sandys, Duffys, and theres another one that I cant remember the name off hand... all of these bars are on the corners of 13th & O and a relatively short walk to the stadium.

Goooooooooooooo HUSKERS! GO BIG RED!!

The Misty's downtown is at the Corner of 11th and 'P' and the D'leon's downtown is closed now. The closest one would be the original out on West 'O'. I wouldn't recommend eating there if you aren't drunk though. If you like a bit more classy of a watering hole you can go to Zen's Lounge on 11th between 'P' and 'O', it's a bit pricey but they mix a good drink there.

Saturday the Grand Manse is doing Happy Hour Prices for their whole tailgate for Veteran's in honor of Veteran's Day coming up next week. That's just across the street from Embassy to the Southwest.

Is that Grand Manse tailgate open to the public? I'd like to see that building.

I'm not sure about the tailgate but I know you can see the building by going around to the Blue Orchid on the south side. Pretty good, reasonably priced, thai food. I think the food has gone downhill a bit lately but it's not bad. Anyways, you can access the building through the restaurant entrance.