Suh and McCoy among Lombardi finalists

ESPN Big 12 Blog

Two Big 12 defensive linemen are among the four finalists for the Lombardi Award, which will be presented by the Rotary Club of Houston.

Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh and Oklahoma defensive tackle Gerald McCoy are among four finalists who will attend a banquet in Houston where the winner will be announced on Dec. 9. Other finalists include TCU defensive end Jerry Hughes and Alabama defensive tackle Terrence Cody.

The Big 12 has featured four winners in its history as a conference since 1996. Previous winners include Texas A&M linebacker Dat Nguyen in 1998, Nebraska defensive end Grant Wistrom in 1997, Oklahoma defensive tackle Tommie Harris in 2003 and Texas defensive end Brian Orakpo last season.

In the history of the award, more honorees have come from Big 12 schools than any other conference. Many of those winners came from schools in the old Big Eight and Southwest conferences.

It would appear that Suh is the early favorite for the award. But he will need a strong finish to stave off the others. Cody would appear to be Suh's biggest challenger, and the Alabama player should get much exposure as the Crimson Tide battle to claim the Southeastern Conference championship.

Found this a tad interesting as well from Tim Griffin's B12 Blog on ESPN

Tyler Asche of Columbia, Mo., writes: Tim, this Heisman race is really starting to get on my nerves. First, ESPN takes Ndamukong Suh off as a viable option, and then doesn’t even recognize him as the leader in their weekly text message. Suh is having one of the most dominant season that a defensive tackle has EVER put up in the history of college football helping a struggling offensive team stay in and win games. The list is full of great names and players, but how many of those young men are putting up numbers better than anyone in history at their position? It's a shame how the media is closing the door on such a phenomenal athletes chances to have to win a once in a lifetime award. I'm starting the feel that the Heisman just isn't what it used to be.

Tim Griffin: There’s no debate about Suh’s abilities. But it’s hard to argue for a defensive tackle because their statistics are hard to quantify. But for whatever it’s worth, remember that Jared Crick leads Suh in total tackles, sacks and tackles for losses this season. So I don’t know if I necessarily would say that Suh has the best statistics for a defensive tackle ever.

He’s clearly one of the most valuable players in college football. And his statistics don’t tell his story.

A person can obviously spin this by saying Suh demands double and triple teams which gives Crick the opportunity to make those plays.

Found this a tad interesting as well from Tim Griffin's B12 Blog on ESPN

Tyler Asche of Columbia, Mo., writes: Tim, this Heisman race is really starting to get on my nerves. First, ESPN takes Ndamukong Suh off as a viable option, and then doesn’t even recognize him as the leader in their weekly text message. Suh is having one of the most dominant season that a defensive tackle has EVER put up in the history of college football helping a struggling offensive team stay in and win games. The list is full of great names and players, but how many of those young men are putting up numbers better than anyone in history at their position? It's a shame how the media is closing the door on such a phenomenal athletes chances to have to win a once in a lifetime award. I'm starting the feel that the Heisman just isn't what it used to be.

Tim Griffin: There’s no debate about Suh’s abilities. But it’s hard to argue for a defensive tackle because their statistics are hard to quantify. But for whatever it’s worth, remember that Jared Crick leads Suh in total tackles, sacks and tackles for losses this season. So I don’t know if I necessarily would say that Suh has the best statistics for a defensive tackle ever.

He’s clearly one of the most valuable players in college football. And his statistics don’t tell his story.

A person can obviously spin this by saying Suh demands double and triple teams which gives Crick the opportunity to make those plays.

So... Griffin is punishing Suh because Suh has a good teammate? Whaaa??? :dunno

And we'll know the correctness of this statement when Suh is in the NFL next year and Crick is the one getting double-teamed. But regardless, even if Crick continues to put up crazy numbers when he's the one getting double-teamed, doesn't that really mean that we have two really good DTs, not that Suh isn't worthy of Heisman consideration?

I'm sorry, but that whole answer is illogical.

Suh is also one of the semi-finalists for the Lott Trophy.......

The four finalists will be announced Nov. 24 and they will travel to the sixth annual Lott Trophy Banquet Dec. 13 where the winner will be announced.

Ndamukong Suh (DT, Sr., Nebraska, 6-4, 300, Portland, Oregon): Has blocked three kicks this year. Lott Player of the Week twice. Eleven tackles for losses. ” I have had the good fortune to work with a number of outstanding players, great leaders and men of excellent character. I can assure you that Ndamukong Suh ranks right near the top of that list when you evaluate his total impact on our football program.” - Bo Pelini, Head Coach, Nebraska.

Story