2010 recruiting class

mitch7

I wish we would start going after some of the better offensive linemen. Defense is easy for us to recruit with Bo being here, but getting quality offensive players is proving to be a challenge with our offense sputtering like they are. We definitely need help on offense - the defense is looking good.

So on a scale of one to ten, I am going to split it:

Defense 9

Offense 5

_________

Total 7

I wish we would start going after some of the better offensive linemen. Defense is easy for us to recruit with Bo being here, but getting quality offensive players is proving to be a challenge with our offense sputtering like they are. We definitely need help on offense - the defense is looking good.

Defense 9

Offense 5

_________

Total 7

I actually think that this is one area that the staff has done a very good job with IMO over the last few recruiting classes. They got 4 good ones last year, heck Sirles and Qvale would be in the 2 Deep as Fr. this year if they hadn't gotten hurt. I have heard good things about Ash as well. Ricky Henry was in the 2008 class. This year they have 2 more really good ones ready to sign in Rodriguez and Moudy. They already have 2 really good ones for the 2011 class ready to sign in Reeves and Moore. I really like what I have seen out of the staff's recruiting efforts in the O-Line Department, really upgrading the talent level.

Defense 9

Offense 5

_________

Total 7

I actually think that this is one area that the staff has done a very good job with IMO over the last few recruiting classes. They got 4 good ones last year, heck Sirles and Qvale would be in the 2 Deep as Fr. this year if they hadn't gotten hurt. I have heard good things about Ash as well. Ricky Henry was in the 2008 class. This year they have 2 more really good ones ready to sign in Rodriguez and Moudy. They already have 2 really good ones for the 2011 class ready to sign in Reeves and Moore. I really like what I have seen out of the staff's recruiting efforts in the O-Line Department, really upgrading the talent level.

yup. the previous staff didn't leave us much quality depth at OL, not to mention the fact that they focused on pass blockers. i like the way recruiting has gone so far on the OL and we should see the results in the next couple of years. i do think that we need one more good one this year though.

What?

This staff has done a surprisingly good job with OL, but particularly in the '11 class.

But the previous staff left us STOCKED at the OL position. Frank left BC with NOTHING in the offensive trenches; BC left Bo with a gift there. I don't get the rap against pass blockers. We pass at least half the time.

What?

This staff has done a surprisingly good job with OL, but particularly in the '11 class.

But the previous staff left us STOCKED at the OL position. Frank left BC with NOTHING in the offensive trenches; BC left Bo with a gift there. I don't get the rap against pass blockers. We pass at least half the time.

Do I think the current stable is horrible, no I don't. However I think there is room for improvement. 1 telling sign to me that Bo and Co are pulling in better talent on the O-line is that were it not for injuries, 2 TRUE FRESHMEN would be in the 2-Deep and maybe starting this year.

Well, I do think you'd have to account for a few other things.

The fact that 2 OL were drafted in the past NFL draft and a third who was a starter and was on track to a bright future (Jaivorio) is probably out of football.

The fact that we were pulling in a ridiculous class at OL before BC was fired: Bryce Givens, Dan Hoch, Trevor Robinson...some of these guys are starting at other Div-1 programs.

The fact that this is Bo's second year. Two classes of BC's guys have graduated. And I think having two of his guys on the 2-deep seems much more ... normal? than an indictment. And to the extent that it is an indictment of something, it may be more on the last minute OL he pulled in his first year after everyone else jumped ship than anything else. I am optimistic about those kids' futures though (Sirles, Qvale)

The fact that 2 OL were drafted in the past NFL draft and a third who was a starter and was on track to a bright future (Jaivorio) is probably out of football.

The fact that we were pulling in a ridiculous class at OL before BC was fired: Bryce Givens, Dan Hoch, Trevor Robinson...some of these guys are starting at other Div-1 programs.

The fact that this is Bo's second year. Two classes of BC's guys have graduated. And I think having two of his guys on the 2-deep seems much more ... normal? than an indictment. And to the extent that it is an indictment of something, it may be more on the last minute OL he pulled in his first year after everyone else jumped ship than anything else. I am optimistic about those kids' futures though (Sirles, Qvale)

Like I said, I think the O-Line has been decent but not great. Slauson and Murtha, while both good players, aren't superstar difference makers. As far as O-Line recruits in the transition class of 2008, Baker is now a DT, Henry is a starter but only has 1 year left, Brandon Thompson isn't a factor thus far, and Grant didn't make the grade. Last year is the one that has the long term potential in it with Sirles, Qvale, Ash, and Coffey. Bottom line is that most true freshmen don't get to contribute at O-Line, they usually need 1-3 years of development to get into the 2-deep because most need to add weight and strength. I think it is a bit telling of the depth that Callahan left that 2 True Freshmen were pushing right away to make the 2-deep and start.

i don't want to trash our guys, but i would say the following players left by the previous staff are what i would consider "quality":

murtha

slauson

mike smith

hickman

williams

jaivario

the following still have potential to be quality:

caputo (walk-on)

marcel

the rest are just guys:

dj jones

mike huff

andy christensen

barrett

so, they left us with 6 quality linemen. it's our bad luck that of those 6, two were seniors and the rest have struggled with injuries this year (with jaivario being obviously the biggest blow).

the 2007 recruiting class netted us exactly TWO linemen total: jaivario (stud) and marcel, a project that still needs more time in the weight room.

the 2006 class had the following:

nicks

cruz barrett

victory haines

ricky henry (didn't qualify, resigned in 2008)

hickman

williams

dj jones

mike smith (recruited as a defensive end)

giving us a juco that was pretty good for one season (nicks) and THREE quality high school linemen in smith, hickman and williams - a good class.

the 2005 class had the following:

pasteur

picou

picou

roark

giving us exactly ZERO quality linemen.

not exactly an impressive record of success in leaving us a "stacked" offensive line. yes, they appeared to have some good ones lined up for the 2008 class, but who's to say they would have stuck anyways, given the sinking ship that was cally's last season.

(and for what it's worth, givens doesn't appear to be very good, robinson appeared to be getting a lot of pressure to go to ND, and hoch probably was going to follow gabbert, who decommitted before the firing.)

i don't want to trash our guys, but i would say the following players left by the previous staff are what i would consider "quality":

murtha

slauson

mike smith

hickman

williams

jaivario

the following still have potential to be quality:

caputo (walk-on)

marcel

the rest are just guys:

dj jones

mike huff

andy christensen

barrett

so, they left us with 6 quality linemen. it's our bad luck that of those 6, two were seniors and the rest have struggled with injuries this year (with jaivario being obviously the biggest blow).

the 2007 recruiting class netted us exactly TWO linemen total: jaivario (stud) and marcel, a project that still needs more time in the weight room.

the 2006 class had the following:

nicks

cruz barrett

victory haines

ricky henry (didn't qualify, resigned in 2008)

hickman

williams

dj jones

mike smith (recruited as a defensive end)

giving us a juco that was pretty good for one season (nicks) and THREE quality high school linemen in smith, hickman and williams - a good class.

the 2005 class had the following:

pasteur

picou

picou

roark

giving us exactly ZERO quality linemen.

not exactly an impressive record of success in leaving us a "stacked" offensive line. yes, they appeared to have some good ones lined up for the 2008 class, but who's to say they would have stuck anyways, given the sinking ship that was cally's last season.

(and for what it's worth, givens doesn't appear to be very good, robinson appeared to be getting a lot of pressure to go to ND, and hoch probably was going to follow gabbert, who decommitted before the firing.)

Good assessment!!!! Honestly!!! I agree with most of what you said.

But to be honest I would take Givens, Robinson, and Hoch. Givens is a RS Freshman that starts at CU. Even though he doesnt look to be having much success he is just a RS Freshman. Robinson as well-just a RS Freshman or true soph. Hoch I believe to be the best of the three. I played basketball against him and one of my friends went to school with him. He decommitted right when it was basically a sure thing that Cally was gone. TO did make trips to his school, and an in home visit with T. Robinson. We did our best. But it is always nice when a kid decommits from NU and goes to a program that is clearly on the decline. (CU, MU, and ND) :thumbs

without knowing anything about their attitudes, i would definitely like to have talented players like robinson and hoch on our team, and probably even givens. however, i'd trade them all and then some to not ever go back to the previous coaching staff. i also have to wonder how many of them are questioning their choices right about now.