Eric Crouch or Scott Frost.....Best Athlete?

In football, Frost had a 1,000/1,000 yard season. He was only the 7th QB in NCAA D1 history at the time to accomplish such a feat. I might be wrong, but I don't believe Crouch had one?

He had the one in 01 and was 29 rushing yards short in 00. I believe he also finished a little over 100 yards rushing short in 99. So he almost had 3 years of 1000/1000. :thumbs

Crouch was a ball hog, and would not have pitched if he had the players in my opinion as he has always been ERIC, so there fore Frost was without a question the best QB of the two at Nebraska. Frost was a QB, Eric was a running back. Frost performed in the offense as Tom designed it. Eric ran the way Eric wanted it. End of discussion. lol

Crouch was a ball hog, and would not have pitched if he had the players in my opinion as he has always been ERIC, so there fore Frost was without a question the best QB of the two at Nebraska. Frost was a QB, Eric was a running back. Frost performed in the offense as Tom designed it. Eric ran the way Eric wanted it. End of discussion. lol

Frost had the luxury of running Tom's offense, Crouch had to run Frank's. Big difference, IMO.

Frank had the curse of Eric wanting to run home to mommy every opportunity. Which he still does. But in honesty, Frost was the better QB. He won the NC and played the game as Tom designed it. Eric caused many of the in house problems for Frank. Coach and player disrespect hurt the recruiting process and the working relationship frank had with the other coaches. A number of them lost respect for him with his trip to Omaha. I honestly feel we would have been better off as a team if Crouch had not been at Nebraska. Not saying he did not do a great job when on the field, and I am happy we won the games we won, I just think we would have recruited better, had more team loyalty and coaching loyalty if that scenario had not happened.

Eric was the best athlete, due to speed moves and durability I think. Both were great players but Frost was a QB, Eric was a running back.

QB=Frost

Athlete=Crouch.

Crouch was a ball hog, and would not have pitched if he had the players in my opinion as he has always been ERIC, so there fore Frost was without a question the best QB of the two at Nebraska.  Frost was a QB, Eric was a running back.  Frost performed in the offense as Tom designed it.  Eric ran the way Eric wanted it. End of discussion.  lol

Frost had the luxury of running Tom's offense, Crouch had to run Frank's. Big difference, IMO.

I agree w/ you hoyamannn about the offense being different. In the TO years we had the "option", In the FS years we had the QB "keeper". On the flip side of that I would say our IB's were better in the TO championship years than the FS years.

Frost in '97 had the luxury of a great inside running attack with Green and a scary OL. The OL just dominated and knocked people off the ball. While Frost did run the option more his senior year than previous Osborne teams, Dr. Tom's teams were always power running first and option second.

Crouch's teams never had a great IB and never had the dominating OLs like Frost's '97 team and Frazier's and Berringer's '94 and '95 teams. Crouch never had an OL that could blow open holes like those three Osborne teams. The '99 team was the closest, but still couldn't compare.

So Crouch had to run for his life, and he was always the best runner in the backfield (so was Lord), unlike Frost where Green was the best runner. Unlike Frazier were Phillips and Green were the best runners. I doubt Crouch would have run nearly as much if he had Green, Phillips and those mighty OLs. He wouldn't have to. Why not believe that Crouch could have led the '97 team to the NC.

OMG!!!!!!! Frost had Ahman fricken Green!!!!!!! He had Grant Wistrom!!!! Eric Crouch had..... Dan Alexander. 11-2 with Crouch, 7-7 without him!!!!!! If Eric Crouch played in the same years Frost did, he would have won MULTIPLE national titles. This argument is the stupidest I have ever seen. Of course he averaged more yards per carry. He had Ahman Green!!!!! Who would you try and stop???? Crouch is the only reason we won half the games we did in his senior season, how can you say Frost was a better quarterback??? Frost had ten times the talent around him.

I don't know how any of you can think Crouch was a better athlete than Frost. If you're going to base being the best athlete strictly on speed, then yes Crouch was better. If you're going to use anything else, then Frost by far was a superior athlete. I lmfao when I read where someone actually wrote that Crouch was probably just as strong physically. Check out the records on the strength and conditioning. No other QB in NU histroy ever even came close to Frost.

Frost is one of only 7 at the time QB's to rush for 1,000 yards and pass for 1,000 yards in a single season. Keep in mind that Frost's wingman (Ahman) rushed for over 1600 yards the same season. How many DB's did Crouch send to the sideline when NU ran the option? Frost was also a lot smarter than Crouch. He scored a 32 on his ACT, and was a student of the game. While I like Crouch and what he did at NU, I don't know how you can even compare the two. You can name just about any sport, and I'll take Frost any day especially in track and field. I'd love to see Crouch hurdle like Frost did!

Even though I believe Frost was a much better over all athlete than Crouch, I think Crouch was a better QB than Frost. If you ever watch the films of the first 2-4 games Crouch's junior and senior year, you will see he actually had a pretty good arm and accuracy. It was the middle to latter part of the season when everything fell apart. I believe this was due to the pounding his shoulders and body took through the course of the season. Make no mistake about it, Crouch was probably the best passing QB since Berringer.

Ask the Iowa DB that crouched plastered dont say crouch couldnt hit.

That run against Missouri was one of the best I have ever seen.

Crouch in 01 averaged 16.9 carries a game. Frost in 97 averaged 13.5. THat is a little over 3 freakin carries a game. How many more minutes was Crouch on the field the Frost? There were blowouts in 97 so Frost didn't have to play the whole game.

Also do you think Frost was a ME first player coming out of High School? He bolted for Stanford because that gave HIM the best chance to be an NFL QB. Only after failing did he decide to come back to NU. I guess you could say he QUIT Stanford and ran back home.

While this is an interesting topic to discuss, frankly i'm a little disappointed. As fans of both Crouch and Frost I'll admit that there were moments I was frustrated/disappointed in both of them. However, I appreciate the effort they gave as Cornhuskers both on the field and off and IMO its more than a little unclassy to label either of them as "quitters".

There is no question who the better athlete was in this case. Eric Crouch won the Heisman and ran the offense to prefection. Formerfan should even recongnize and appreciate how great Crouch ran the offense. He knew when to pitch or when to keep and this lead him to win the Hesiman. While Forst was an outstanding QB he was still handing off to a running back that has made his mark in the NFL known as Ahman Green. Eric Crouch basically lead Nebraska to a national championship, while frost had an unbelievably supporting cast. There is no qustion that Eric Crouch is the better athlete.

• 1 month later...

If I were to pick an athlete to be on my team, I would pick Frost. There are several athletic things where Frost was the dominant force: benchpress, squats, hell anything related to weights, smarter, bigger, bruiser of a runner, etc. Frost not only played in the offensive backfield, he would have excelled in the defensive backfield as well. He was big and powerful enough to have been a linebacker. Crouch could have played running back and probably DB, but no way is he a linebacker. Frost could have excelled at any position on either offense or defense except the line. We can't say the same about Crouch.

To the clown that thinks speed is ellusiveness, let me ask this: was Berringer or Frazier more ellusive? They recorded the same 40 yard time. Think about that! Ellusiveness stems from cutting on a dime and being shifty. Look at Calvin Jones. He wasn't very ellusive due to a knee surgery in high school, but he was faster than hell. Straight away speed is a lot different than being ellusive. As I've said before, in 1997 Frost had the fastest 10 yard dash time of anyone on that squad. He was fast, but he simply didn't have the moves of Crouch.

Frost had only two years as NU's QB. Crouch essentially had 3 and half to 4. If Frost would have had an extra year or 2 left, it would be a lot easier to compare their stats. I loved them both, but the question was athleticism. Easily Frost wins out. Crouch can't even make it in the NFL due to not being good enough of an athlete. I mean seriousl, he was cut earlier this year. Frost was there and started until his accident!