Favorite KSU-NU moment

HANC

Yeah. There are a hundred different versions of the Sal is Dead, Go Big Red thing. There was even a former CU player who claimed that a small group of seniors made the whole thing up to fire the rest of the team up to play Nebraska.

Personally, I give it about as much credit as Spit-Gate. It could have happened . . . but there sure isn't any evidence one way or another. Therefore . . . I don't think it happened.

I'd like to agree but I saw the sign with my own eyes. I lived in Denver and was driving back home to Grand Island with my family when we saw the sign attached to the bottom of the "Welcome to Nebraska" sign.

Ah! A witness!

I'm sure that it was either said or drawn up on a banner by someone, but I'm also sure that it wasn't endorsed by our school or 99% of our fans. I'm also pretty sure that at least 15% of CU fans would have been saddened to see the CU frat boys pelting little old ladies in their red blazers trying to navigate the icy sidewalks in front of the fraternities the year I went to see us beat the Buffs.

I have a suspicion that this emoticon dedhoarse was designed specifically for this conversation.

The first time we beat this horse deader than a doornail I told Junior that I was willing to believe that the "Sal is Dead" thing happened, but two things were paramount to the story:

1) There is no evidence, other than hearsay, that it happened. Words on message boards, but no pics. Cameras were in heavy use those days. It's not like someone couldn't get a photo of it.

2) Even presuming this happened, it was either one guy or one group of guys (let's say five, just for good measure), and they are not representative of the fan base as a whole. 99.9% of Husker Fans and players would beat the ass of anyone they caught spraying that on an overpass, but no - there's a minority of people here who must constantly trot this nonsense out as an "example" of how bad we are. Sorry. We're not. Maybe you are, and if so, go sit in your corner and cry about it. The rest of us... we're going to continue to be the decent, upstanding folks that make people write long articles about us after their teams visit.

But back to whether this truly happened or not. This was, allegedly, spray-painted on an I-80 overpass or road sign here in Nebraska, right? Somewhere pretty visible, right? If we're talking about a Nebraska road sign, there is no way NDOR took that down in a day, or even a week. There is graffiti up on overpasses between Lincoln and Omaha that has been there for a month, and they are working on that stretch of highway right now - it would be easy to paint over it, but they leave it up.

Then there's the CU sticker on the road sign on I-80 between the downtown and 27th street exits. It's been there for 15 years, and still they don't take it down. This is NDOR for you - there's not much incentive to replace these signs, they won't. And they don't. And that stuff stays up.

So I ask you - if this was up there, "painted across two lanes of Interstate 80 just beyond the state line," why is there no picture of it? Why is there no video from a news station? You can't tell me it's because any newspaper or TV station in either Colorado or Nebraska didn't want the story. This is a juicy piece of news, so there ought to be some account of it, somewhere. But a fluff piece on the Buffs from CNN/SI from 1990 - again without a picture - is easily taken with a grain of salt. There is no way the woman who wrote that article drove 270 miles to look at the graffiti herself.

But again, this is all speculation. We're speculating it really happened, and we're speculating it didn't. As I said before, I'm willing to believe some idiot did this. We all know people who are boneheaded enough to pull this off. So let's just say it did.

But presuming it DID happen, for God's sake it was almost 20 years ago. TWENTY YEARS.

Why the hell are we still whining about it? :dunno:dunno

I guess some people still feel the need to beat that horse.

dedhoarsededhoarsededhoarse

Favorite Moments.... beating Josh Freeman every year

Yeah. That was nice, wasn't it?

:)

freeman is probably over losing to NU. :dunno

didn't he recently become the youngest nfl qb to win his first full start?

thought I heard that on the zone from some "nfl expert".

gabbert is likely to join the nfl ranks as well.

freeman is probably over losing to NU.

didn't he recently become the youngest nfl qb to win his first full start?

And we care about the NFL... why? This is a college forum.

dunno.

why not ask whoever threw his name out there.

oh yeah...

QUOTE(knapplc @ Nov 16 2009, 03:44 PM)

QUOTE(sdhusker82 @ Nov 16 2009, 03:43 PM)

Favorite Moments.... beating Josh Freeman every year

Yeah. That was nice, wasn't it?

:snacks:

Yeah. There are a hundred different versions of the Sal is Dead, Go Big Red thing. There was even a former CU player who claimed that a small group of seniors made the whole thing up to fire the rest of the team up to play Nebraska.

Personally, I give it about as much credit as Spit-Gate. It could have happened . . . but there sure isn't any evidence one way or another. Therefore . . . I don't think it happened.

I'd like to agree but I saw the sign with my own eyes. I lived in Denver and was driving back home to Grand Island with my family when we saw the sign attached to the bottom of the "Welcome to Nebraska" sign.

I fully believe the sign existed..Just wonder who was responsible for it..

I recently saw a

or Dukes of Hazzard? in red shirts attacking Willie the Wildcat..Now, THAT I believe!

rlnaKa-wuU4&feature=related

I'd also allow that "one of ours" was responsible for the sign..I mean..Who doesn't know at least one Dumb classless person from their hometown that's perfectly capable of such an act?

But I don't see one of our longtime posters or Moderators bringing up childlike drawings of Brook Berringer's plane crashing or a photoshoped picture of Calvin (minus Hobbs) peeing on his actual grave on a football board every year like the ones I've seen on at least one of KSU's websites. (KSUFANS.COM)

Edit: I hadn't visited that site for a couple? years but looks like they deleted the worst threads, but there's still mention of him there...

Started by ksuno1stunner, Message by ksuno1stunner

Shoot his fracking plane down. He is Brook Berringer to me.

Started by ChicoRodriguez, Message by jeffy

...and Brook Berringer is still dead.
(Must be a sig line...appeared several times)

Started by shawnwinters, Message by mjrod

A lot of people find it funny a person of his publicity being harassed by other fans. Take it from me. Having to deal with irate Husker fans about Berringer (even though I never said anything negative about him) was not a fun time.

Started by turbowildcat, Message by ksuno1stunner

Is Berringer's knee still available?

Quote from: ChicoRodriguez on March 17, 2008, 10:37:45 pm

Brook Brook Berringer

Give him a hand

Brook Brook Berringer

His plane's about to land!

GO BIG RED, GO BIG RED, GO BIG RED

Brook

Brook

LOOK

LOOK

GROUND

GROUND

DOWN

DOWN

DEAD

DEAD

GO BIG RED!

This place started going downhill when you axed the Brook Berringer is still dead comment. :-[

pretty tame now compared to last time I visited their site :dunno

Doesn't matter, 37. There is still a segment of our fans that will hold us all accountable for the graffiti, apparently forever. No matter how badly fans of other teams behave, we're still just as bad because one guy, or one carload of guys, once spray painted a stupid sign on an overpass.

20 years ago.

Doesn't matter, 37. There is still a segment of our fans that will hold us all accountable for the graffiti, apparently forever. No matter how badly fans of other teams behave, we're still just as bad because one guy, or one carload of guys, once spray painted a stupid sign on an overpass.

20 years ago.

Probably the nature of the beast..

We'll always be judged (by some) by our worst common denominator..or something more profound sounding.

I think the "segment of fans" you speak of just don't want us to throw stones since we are not without sin..

I know I'm not (without sin)..after posting this in another thread a few months ago..

michael_jackson2.jpg