Fire Watson, Kick Lee off the team immediately!!

Watson should stay especially since he is at least trying to set the offense up around what talent we have instead of trying to run the same offense as last year, which would not work this year.

I agree with most people on this board about Cotton needing to go. During the KSU game, KSU broke through the line so many times and blew up Helu, and the line cant block off the corner for the strech and toss plays. Something there needs to change, and plus when you practice against possible one of the best defensive lines in the nation games should be easy compared to practice.

prime example saturday night. he had NP open deep but he severely underthrew the ball forcing niles to stop, wait for the ball (and the defender). NP caught it (was tackled immediately) and it went for a big gain, but had the ball been thrown so as to hit NP in stride, he would have walked into the end zone.

is that the pass that was 52 yards (in the air) into the wind??

the one where lee's back foot was on the 30yd line and Paul caught at the 18??

:snacks:

ya the same pass a legitimate college QB would throw without so much air under it so it would hit the WR in stride and score a TD. that's the one.

When we were 2nd and Goal at the KSU 5 yard line, Zac rolls to his left to set up a pass, and before he even gets set, 12 yards behind the line, he's hit. The lineman responsible for blocking the DT had a pretty nice view of the sack, too. Then Zac gets jumpy and throws that pick on the next play. Bad choice to throw that ball, yes, but you can understand why he might think he's got to make something happen alone in the passing game when you're constantly seeing him having to break the pocket. The whole reason we're doing so many rollouts lately is that we can't protect the pocket.

I had a hard time trying to figure out what that play was designed to do, i first thought it was play action pass to the TE on the outside, but when i watched the replay over and over, it looked like a designed QB run off of the play action to the outside. Maybe it was a play action pass, because whoever the TE was lined up on the left, shed his block on Fitzgerald and ran a post route to the outside, the safety and LB bit on that, DJ Jones (I believe) pulls from his spot to block the LB on the outside, but since the LB bit on the TE's route, he didn't need to stay on him, in the meantime, Fitzgerald who is no longer being blocked comes in and runs after Lee, DJ Jones got beat by Fitzgerald's speed to get after Lee.

Nevertheless, i think it was a bad call by Watson, maybe if Jones picked up Fitzgerald instead of hesitating like that, Lee might have gone in for the score, but then again, if someone like Cody Green, who is faster and tougher to bring down was running that play, it would have had a higher chance to be successful.

I think they ran something like that against KU this year, and Lee fumbled the ball into endzone trying to put the ball over the line and Helu picked it up for the TD.

I couldn't figure out what was going on with that play, either. I have yet to watch the game again, but I'm just wondering if there wasn't someone sneaking out on the back side of that play to the far corner of the end zone that Lee was supposed to target. From what I remember sitting here at my desk, the routes in front of Lee were pretty clogged up.

Willie - any insight here? I'm baffled... :dunno

There was only one route, which was a delay route for McNeill (I believe) he shed his block on Fitzgerald which allowed him through. Helu and Legate were clogged on the line and the other two TE's on the right side were blocking.

It totally amazes me how nobody is happy about the little progress that we DID make the last couple weeks or so. Yeah, there are still mistakes, but it is better. Everyone forgets that this is really Lee's first season of being a starter. Everyone also forgets that all these coaches are still dealing with recruits that 3/4 of which was really recruited under Callahan.

Watson can only TRY and figure out the best offensive scheme for the personnel that he has.

I wish everyone would just settle down, and realize that we still have a ways to go. It really amazes me that we are where we are at this point. People seem to have short memories to what it was like 2 years ago at this time.

Yeah, we are not that good, especially on offense - but it could be a whole lot worse people. :wasted

I don't care what anybody says I say Watson must be fired right now. He is ruining the program. Lee is doing good but if K-Sate hadn't of killed themselves with penalties, they would have kicked the huskers butts because of our crappy offensive plays by Watson. I can see the huskers getting 0 points against Texas because of our lousy offense.

<_<And you could do better? Watson can only work with what he has to work with...I am sure that Watson and Bo would love for you to come in and have a sit down so that you could tell them everything they are doing wrong and suggest what they could do to fix it. I bet you might even get a job if it worked.

No but I'm sure you could do better HuskerTrucker. You seem to have the answer for everything dont u, Mr. We're Going To Lose To Oklahoma 35-7 & Mr. If They Had Sam Bradford The Game Wouldve Been Over At Halftime. The majority of your posts are whiny & reek of negativity. I might be making myself look like an a$$ calling you out like this but you're IMO the whiniest poster on this board & I feel like someone has to do it

Your the guy with all the answers there Genius...Bo is waiting on you, I am sure he will appreciate your input. :nutz

Where did that come from? I never (in any of my posts) said I have all the answers. I have never claimed to be a football expert, only a hardcore Husker fan. You're the one who comes across as being a big know-it-all

Edited by AngryHusker88

prime example saturday night. he had NP open deep but he severely underthrew the ball forcing niles to stop, wait for the ball (and the defender). NP caught it (was tackled immediately) and it went for a big gain, but had the ball been thrown so as to hit NP in stride, he would have walked into the end zone.

is that the pass that was 52 yards (in the air) into the wind??

the one where lee's back foot was on the 30yd line and Paul caught at the 18??

:snacks:

ya the same pass a legitimate college QB would throw without so much air under it so it would hit the WR in stride and score a TD. that's the one.

you don't ask for much....

:rollin

What will be funny, but scares the crap out of me as well, is if people get their wish and Watson leaves. The likely replacement will have everyone crying from day 1. Then you will have thoughts of suicide about 2 games into the season next year. :lol:

People better be careful what they wish for. They may actually get it, and deeply regret it.

Oh, I agree!!

Firing SW might result with an OC who gives us a putrid Offense. Think how horrible that would be!!

Wait, we have a putrid offense "now"......uhhh......just a minute.....

I think that's the biggest thing in all of this. We simply have dead weight position coaches.

People can hate on Callahan all they want, but he was directly responsible for our offensive line and coached them way more than Wags ever did. We constantly put lower tier talent and turned out respectable offensive lines.

I still remember that Alamo Bowl game. We put Seppo and Slauson at tackles, and had them going up against Lamarr Woodley and Alan Branch. Those guys more than held their own.

Callahan may be a many of things, but the guy was an absolute technician and a wizard of an offensive line coach.

Then Barney comes in, and every single bit of the progress our line made was changed. He even went as far to criticize the way Callahan had the line play. I know every coach in the country likes to think they know more than others, but there are few line coaches in the NFL or college you would put ahead of Cally. Real talk.

In any case, at no point in his coaching career has Barney shown to be even an average coach. Not in his initial run here. Not at Iowa State. And he's doing the same thing again here.

He took a line so well skilled in technique, from proper hand placement, pad level, foot placement, and took them into an 80's style of line 'em up then knock them down. He preaches little technique and it leads to so many mistakes. This is the reason we have so many breakdowns, especially with penalties that kill alot of the drives we do begin to put together.

Then you have Gilmore - of all the WRs we have had since '05, who has made a drastic improvement over their time in this program? You could possibly say Todd Peterson, just because he was a walk-on. What WRs that showed inconsistency ever improved under him?

Nunn? No.

Gilleylen? So far, no.

Hardy? No.

Holt? No.

Even with Niles Paul making big catches, the guy still has his mental mistakes that have not been corrected in 3 years.

The only 3 WRs worth a darn that have ever played under Gilmore here are Swift, Peterson and Purify. But from day 1 each of those guys showed great hands and never had a consistency problem or those constant mental mistakes that plagues so many of our other WRs.

Bet no one has even realized that we have not had a single WR to break the 1k mark either under Gilmore. We have only had 2 WRs even break the 800 yard mark for a season. In 5 years.

--

If our offense wants to take a step forward, they need to get at least one of these guys out of here this offseason. If you don't, it won't matter who our OC is. They will still have the same fundamental flaws they have now because we have position coaches who are simply not that good.

I agree, however, I will add that a system that takes even skilled players three to four years to master, should not be an offense college teams use. There simply is not enough time to properly teach all the intricacies to the players so that this offense can perform at a high level (like in 2008).

I think first, we need to find a new o-line coach. Any offense needs a solid o-line to create holes in the running game and provide a nice pocket for passing. I have seen neither this year, and I know we have some skill at that position.

I don't know, the whole offensive coaching staff needs to be reevaluated. We have o-linemen that cannot block and wide receivers that aren't in the right spot and cannot catch. That's kind of a big deal.

I agree, however, I will add that a system that takes even skilled players three to four years to master, should not be an offense college teams use. There simply is not enough time to properly teach all the intricacies to the players so that this offense can perform at a high level (like in 2008).

People are getting the complexity of the offense for the QB confused for everyone else.

The QB has to remember the play, know and audible the blocking schemes, be able to read the LB's pre-snap, know the audibles, remember the hot routes, have timing with the receivers, understand coverages against each set and most of all, how to manipulate those coverages. Being a a true QB is not an easy thing for anyone.

For other positions, you can find your way on the field much quicker, or at least should be able to. The reason being you do not have to remember as much as the QB, most importantly. Whether it is on a reverse, screen, fly pattern .. there are exponentially a number of ways to find your way on the field, for WRs especially.

With Gilmore, you almost need to be a veteran WR who has earned his stripes before he allows you on the field. Guys like Kinnie, Brooks and Cooper were showing themselves to be better and more consistent WRs on the team. But yet Gilmore would not give them their chance until the guys ahead of them gave him no choice.

And even with Brooks, he still does not get his chance, which is pathetic to say the least. I can honestly say that Brooks is likely the best WR on this team and STILL does not get to play. I would not blame that guy in the least to leave Lincoln after this season and never return for how he has been treated and yanked around.

Another story for another day, though.

But as I was saying, the complexity is not and issue for development at WR. It has been and continues to be a coaching issue. It isn't helping Gilmore's case that he is also an awful RC as well.

People are getting the complexity of the offense for the QB confused for everyone else.

The QB has to remember the play, know and audible the blocking schemes, be able to read the LB's pre-snap, know the audibles, remember the hot routes, have timing with the receivers, understand coverages against each set and most of all, how to manipulate those coverages. Being a a true QB is not an easy thing for anyone.

For other positions, you can find your way on the field much quicker, or at least should be able to. The reason being you do not have to remember as much as the QB, most importantly. Whether it is on a reverse, screen, fly pattern .. there are exponentially a number of ways to find your way on the field, for WRs especially.

With Gilmore, you almost need to be a veteran WR who has earned his stripes before he allows you on the field. Guys like Kinnie, Brooks and Cooper were showing themselves to be better and more consistent WRs on the team. But yet Gilmore would not give them their chance until the guys ahead of them gave him no choice.

And even with Brooks, he still does not get his chance, which is pathetic to say the least. I can honestly say that Brooks is likely the best WR on this team and STILL does not get to play. I would not blame that guy in the least to leave Lincoln after this season and never return for how he has been treated and yanked around.

Another story for another day, though.

But as I was saying, the complexity is not and issue for development at WR. It has been and continues to be a coaching issue. It isn't helping Gilmore's case that he is also an awful RC as well.

I guess to be fair to Bo, he inherited Gilmore. If Bo doesn't think he is getting it done recruiting and coaching wise, I don't see why Bo would have regrets in letting him go. I would like to see that happen. I wonder if they would see if Scott Frost would come over from Oregon? I think he could be a nice fit as a WR coach, or on the defensive side for that matter given his UNI experience.

Not sure about Barney, he doesn't have a lot of fans that is for sure. I guess I just have to wonder what Bo sees in Barney that no one seems to?

I guess to be fair to Bo, he inherited Gilmore. If Bo doesn't think he is getting it done recruiting and coaching wise, I don't see why Bo would have regrets in letting him go. I would like to see that happen. I wonder if they would see if Scott Frost would come over from Oregon? I think he could be a nice fit as a WR coach, or on the defensive side for that matter given his UNI experience.

Not sure about Barney, he doesn't have a lot of fans that is for sure. I guess I just have to wonder what Bo sees in Barney that no one seems to?

That would be great to see Frost come in as WR coach.