Burkhead should be the new starting RB

Hard to fumble the ball the first year, when you don't start or play.

Hard to do when you did not get in the regular rotation until the middle of the year. But once Cally gave him carries, he became a regular from then on.

45 carries, 0 fumbles

125 carries, 0 fumbles

193 carries, 3 fumbles

363 carries, 3 fumbles lost .. or one fumble lost every 121 carries. Two of which only happened due to Helu playing with one shoulder.

So yeah, I'd say ball security is the last thing you need to worry about when it comes to Helu.

-----

On a side note ..

Is there another fan base like ours though for all the good and all the bad? I mean, what other fan base would want to bench a guy with 1k+ yards with a 5.5 YPC average for a true freshman just barely a week removed from a foot injury?

Is there another fan base where they want to bench a junior who is already one of 25 players in the schools long history of runners who have 2,000+ rush yards in their career? Or bench the guy during a season when he is only one of 29 Huskers to eclipse the 1,000 yard plateau?

Right now, Helu is sitting on 2,069 yards rushing for his career, and is averaging 5.7 YPC getting it. Ken Clark is 5th on our all time rushing yardage list with 3,037 yards. Barring any unforeseen injury, we are looking at a guy who will go down in Husker history as one of the 5 best rushing yardage men in this schools long history.

It's even a real possibility that Helu ends up as one of the 5 best yard gainers in Husker history as well. He is currently at 2,524 while Cory Ross is in 5th place at 3,559 total yards.

There is always a flavor of the week. I kinda understood the Cody Green stuff. But taking away carries from Helu is borderline nuts.

Hard to fumble the ball the first year, when you don't start or play.

Hard to do when you did not get in the regular rotation until the middle of the year. But once Cally gave him carries, he became a regular from then on.

45 carries, 0 fumbles

125 carries, 0 fumbles

193 carries, 3 fumbles

363 carries, 3 fumbles lost .. or one fumble lost every 121 carries. Two of which only happened due to Helu playing with one shoulder.

So yeah, I'd say ball security is the last thing you need to worry about when it comes to Helu.

-----

On a side note ..

Is there another fan base like ours though for all the good and all the bad? I mean, what other fan base would want to bench a guy with 1k+ yards with a 5.5 YPC average for a true freshman just barely a week removed from a foot injury?

Is there another fan base where they want to bench a junior who is already one of 25 players in the schools long history of runners who have 2,000+ rush yards in their career? Or bench the guy during a season when he is only one of 29 Huskers to eclipse the 1,000 yard plateau?

Right now, Helu is sitting on 2,069 yards rushing for his career, and is averaging 5.7 YPC getting it. Ken Clark is 5th on our all time rushing yardage list with 3,037 yards. Barring any unforeseen injury, we are looking at a guy who will go down in Husker history as one of the 5 best rushing yardage men in this schools long history.

It's even a real possibility that Helu ends up as one of the 5 best yard gainers in Husker history as well. He is currently at 2,524 while Cory Ross is in 5th place at 3,559 total yards.

There is always a flavor of the week. I kinda understood the Cody Green stuff. But taking away carries from Helu is borderline nuts.

Helu just will not be 100% this year, no doubt about that, You cannot put the ball on the ground.

Next year with 2 healthy running backs, I like our chances against any defense.

This year we just have to mix up the backs and go with the hot hand.

Helu has gotten us where we are at, but Burkhead had fresh legs thanks to 5 weeks off.

Whoever is running the best, should get the bulk of the carries

Helu just will not be 100% this year, no doubt about that, You cannot put the ball on the ground.

Next year with 2 healthy running backs, I like our chances against any defense.

This year we just have to mix up the backs and go with the hot hand.

Helu has gotten us where we are at, but Burkhead had fresh legs thanks to 5 weeks off.

Whoever is running the best, should get the bulk of the carries

I think we will have more than two healthy, capable backs next year. Don't forget about Tray Robinson. He looked quite good when given the chance to shine. He ran hard and could develop into a special power back, in the Q mold. Also, depending upon what happens this year with recruiting, we may have another back to throw into the mix (i'm refering to Gio Bernard).

:facepalm: So I guess I was the only one who noticed Rex repeatedly whiffing on his pass blocking assignments then? Oh well, how important can pass blocking be for a RB anyway! <_<

He whiffed once dude...the other 2 he picked up resulted in a first down and a touchdown. Watch the game again. Oh, and I wouldn't call it a whiff, that guy just put a good move on him. <_< BTW, it is exactly the pass blocking assignments that moved him into the number two slot. He's damn good at it.

What a f&cking beast. IMO Nebraska should use Rex Burkhead as the #1 RB against Texas, I think his explosiveness gives us the best chance to gash Texas' D for some yards & put us in a position to put points on the board. Obviously we should use Helu too, but I think Burkhead should be the #1 back

No. No we shouldn't.

I'm not sure about starting against Texas because I think Roy my Boy Toy is a quality running back. He's shown good vision and cutting and speed consistently. The thing that irritates me about his running is his lack of ability to break a tackle when going up the middle and getting hit by a linebacker. Sexy Rexy has that.

I am seriously looking forward to next year. I think Sexy will clearly challenge hard for the top spot and could possibly start over Boy Toy given the right circumstances.