A Close Loss to UT

sd'sker

i am the last guy to think NU will not win, but we all know UT will be hard. if we win, it would be a rather huge upset, UT is going to come to play and will not overlook us. however, if we lose by 10, would that be a sign of progress (and a good 10, not a last ditch effort 10, like we could have won)? or is a loss a loss and there are no moral victories? just something i thought worth discussing. and which would be a better loss, 49-39 or 21-13?

I honestly think a loss is a loss. But then again when your a number 3 team and you win a close won 49-39 then thats saying your Defense isn't good. I would think a 21-13 would be a bit better showing the winning team has an OK offense but a good defense and the losing team shows they have a good defense that can hold a good offense to 21 points.

As much as I hate to say it, I'd be very happy with a tough battle and a 10 point loss.

If we can put 39 up on them, they lose the NC game.

no doubt. i was just thinking how hopeful, although heartbroken and hurt, i was after the Va. Tech game. i wanted that game so much, and the close lose was a real heart breaker, but i felt like we as a team were in a good place.

Oy, this thread has ugly written all over it...not your fault, it's just the topic will bring some people out of the woodwork.

Anyway, if we play a good game and lose by 10, I'll be fine with it. Sure I'd rather win, but Texas is a better team than us right now. They may not necessarily be the better team on the day we play them, but overall, they're a better team. So considering that, yeah, a close game would not be the ideal result (we all want to win), but I'd have no issues with it.

And I'd rather see a low scoring game, which would hopefully mean our defense was effective against them.

i am the last guy to think NU will not win, but we all know UT will be hard. if we win, it would be a rather huge upset, UT is going to come to play and will not overlook us. however, if we lose by 10, would that be a sign of progress (and a good 10, not a last ditch effort 10, like we could have won)? or is a loss a loss and there are no moral victories? just something i thought worth discussing. and which would be a better loss, 49-39 or 21-13?

For what it is worth, I think a 10 point loss in a game where we competed throughout is a significant moral victory. We have standout athletes at several positions and we also have some with enormous potential. However, we do not have the same levels of talent at every position that Texas does.

While we all live for the day when we are just loaded with so much talent that this type of game is a 1 vs 2 match up, the reality of this year is far different. We are in year 2 of Bo's handle on the program. We just came out of more than a few years of mediocrity. It is going to take some time to rebuild in the mold of Husker lore, but the problem is that today's game has far more talent parity than there was in previous decades, meaning that recruits have far more options than they did 1 or 2 decades ago. The result is that we, at this time, just don't pull the same type of athletes that UT does. That is the impetus behind my response, but I will also say that I have every bit of confidence in this staff's abilities to square away high levels of talent and knowledge on future teams.

At least we know that McCoy most likely won't be running for 100+ yards on draws on us(see A&M game).

Texas has speed. A lot of speed. Shipley scares the crap out of me, especially if Asante finally gets tossed from a game(without taking him out).

I didn't like what I saw last night, because unless Bo has a lot of things up his sleeve, we aren't going to be able to exploit 20% of the things that A&M did vs. UTerus.

p.s. The 39 comment was referring to them winning and getting in the national championship and losing.

I hate to say it because it sucks to say, but UT is favored to win and should win.

Right now the Huskers can only win "IF"...

UT doesnt go into this game with the "IF" factor. Dammit.

Actually they do AM. They are wondering IF they are going to play flat like they did against A&M.

They are wondering IF they have a shot at a N.C. with two teams still in front of them.

They are wondering what IF Nebraska comes in to Dallas and plays like a team that has nothing to lose like A&M did. A dangerous animal is a wounded animal.

They are wondering IF they have fixed all the deficiencies that A&M exploited.

We have nothing to lose and everything to gain. They only hope they can survive the weekend to have an outside chance at a N.C. game.

I hate to say it because it sucks to say, but UT is favored to win and should win.

Right now the Huskers can only win "IF"...

UT doesnt go into this game with the "IF" factor. Dammit.

Actually they do AM. They are wondering IF they are going to play flat like they did against A&M.

They are wondering IF they have a shot at a N.C. with two teams still in front of them.

They are wondering what IF Nebraska comes in to Dallas and plays like a team that has nothing to lose like A&M did. A dangerous animal is a wounded animal.

They are wondering IF they have fixed all the deficiencies that A&M exploited.

We have nothing to lose and everything to gain. They only hope they can survive the weekend to have an outside chance at a N.C. game.

that is true, they have a lot of pressure on them. think when the Pats loss to the Giants; pressure can be a tougher competitor than whoever is on the field. and the closer we play them, the tighter the pressure becomes. they have a lot to lose, and if we are in this, it will be magnified. having so much to gain is overshadowed when being crippled by so much to lose.

At least we know that McCoy most likely won't be running for 100+ yards on draws on us(see A&M game).

Texas has speed. A lot of speed. Spiller scares the crap out of me, especially if Asante finally gets tossed from a game(without taking him out).

I didn't like what I saw last night, because unless Bo has a lot of things up his sleeve, we aren't going to be able to exploit 20% of the things that A&M did vs. UTerus.

p.s. The 39 comment was referring to them winning and getting in the national championship and losing.

Do you mean Shipley?

A close loss would just mean that NU was not yet a great team. Great teams win the close ones, teams that are just pretty good occasionally upset great teams and thus take a step toward their own greatness. The early season VT loss was a sign that NU is not yet great but had great potential. But I don't see any loss at the end of the season as positive unless "alsoran" is positive.