Announcers

NoDoubt

Really?

Watch the hit about :22 into this clip. This was last nights game. Both players were knocked silly. The LSU defender led with shoulder but it ended being helmet to helmet.

3WFxySnT9vA

I like watching hardhits just as much as the next guy but there comes a point where enough is enough. I like Asante's style of play. He just needs to play smarter

In all honesty, there have been questionable hits this year for him, and some where he even got the penalty for it. If you are a Nebraska fan, he is just playing hard, if your not a Nebraska fan you say it is playing dirty. So I am not surprised by their comments on this.

I had a problem with the announcers too. The problem is they don't tell the whole story and make him out to be this hines ward player where he doesn't care about the people he's crushing. (although I think hines just plays hard too.. and im a browns fan)

After the hit and the "taunt" with OU what they failed to mention is later asante went to the OU bench by himself to personally apologize and make sure the player was ok... He held a very apologetic attitude and looked very sincere on the field, but he wasn't about ot leti t affect his game.

I think players like asante should be commended for not adhering to the new "pansy" football rules. Just because players "look" like they are going out of bounds the defense is suppose to stop playing and let them turn up the sideline for extra yards? Why is the offense allowed to be rewarded for extra effort, and the defense penalized with game changing penalties?

Personal fouls anymore are called based on how a play LOOKS rather then how the rules are stated. If the QB gets hit hard, it's a penalty, NO MATTER WHAT... shoulder to chest is called for helmet to helmet.... or the dependable roughing the passer. If someone gets hit hard out of bounds so they slide to the benches, that's a late hit.

Asante's hit was not only clean - but we need more of it if football fans everywhere want to continue to pride themselves on this being one of the most physical games out there.

:yeah:yeah:yeah

Political correctness gone completely wrong.

The announcers were fine. They could not have done a better job promoting Suh to a national audience, and Nebraska as a legitimate threat to Texas, even if we're probably, you know....not.

Asante doesn't need to get thrown out. He does need to play smarter. Plenty of great defensive backs manage not to cross the line. Dare you to call any of them pussies.

If you find a sportcaster who never says anything bad about anyone or anything from Nebraska, then you'll have found a lousy sportscaster.

Really?

Watch the hit about :22 into this clip. This was last nights game. Both players were knocked silly. The LSU defender led with shoulder but it ended being helmet to helmet.

3WFxySnT9vA

I like watching hardhits just as much as the next guy but there comes a point where enough is enough. I like Asante's style of play. He just needs to play smarter

What does your example have to do with the price of tea in China when I clearly stated (and you highlighted my text) that I drew issue with the slide rule? There was no QB sliding in that vid. :dunno

My point is that if you are a QB and you make a conscious decision to go downfield as a running back, you shouldn't get any special treatement. THAT, my friend, is where we differ.

Once again I find it so funny how we can dismiss our player’s boneheaded play as good ole fashion aggression. This player was clearly out of bound and Asante hit him. Now people are asking why the Defensive player has to loss out because the QB runs down field or a runner decides to slow down. Funny thing about this is last week it was debated about how much of a cheap shot it was for Zac Lee to get hit because on a bang bang play where he was a couple inches out of bound and was slowing up.

Once again I find it so funny how we can dismiss our player’s boneheaded play as good ole fashion aggression. This player was clearly out of bound and Asante hit him. Now people are asking why the Defensive player has to loss out because the QB runs down field or a runner decides to slow down. Funny thing about this is last week it was debated about how much of a cheap shot it was for Zac Lee to get hit because on a bang bang play where he was a couple inches out of bound and was slowing up.

On this forum you will find people that will defend Hitler for invading Poland, so you can point to anyone to make any kind of point that you want on virtually any topic. That said, I don't remember which play in particular you were referring to, but if Zac Lee did a slide and got hit as he was doing it, I wouldn't mind seeing the rules changed to where he could be hit. If he was out of bounds and was hit, it is up to the refs to determine if it was intentional or not. I don't give a rat WHICH team it is.

Asante got a penalty for his action. Was the penalty justified? Of course. Was it worthy of the announcers calling for his ejection? Not in my opinion.

What does your example have to do with the price of tea in China when I clearly stated (and you highlighted my text) that I drew issue with the slide rule? There was no QB sliding in that vid. :dunno

My point is that if you are a QB and you make a conscious decision to go downfield as a running back, you shouldn't get any special treatement. THAT, my friend, is where we differ.

If a QB runs downfield and doesn't slide, he's fair game. That's the rule. Sliding doesn't afford the QB "special treatment". A running back can slide...a receiver can slide...a TE can slide. It doesn't matter. How many times have you seen a receiver step out of bounds along the sideline after a catch to avoid getting hit? Just because a QB slides doesn't mean he's afforded special treatment.

If a QB runs downfield and doesn't slide, he's fair game. That's the rule. Sliding doesn't afford the QB "special treatment". A running back can slide...a receiver can slide...a TE can slide. It doesn't matter. How many times have you seen a receiver step out of bounds along the sideline after a catch to avoid getting hit? Just because a QB slides doesn't mean he's afforded special treatment.

You said it yourself. "If a QB runs downfield and doesn't slide, he's fair game." Now, what happens when you hit him when he starts to slide? He doesn't have to be down, but I can assure you that out comes the penalty flag and that is why I'm calling it special treatment. They don't even want a defender to fall on the guy trying to get out of his way. I'd like to see a guy treated no differently falling forward versus beginning to slide forward. I'm not advocating hitting someone when they're down.

On this forum you will find people that will defend Hitler for invading Poland, so you can point to anyone to make any kind of point that you want on virtually any topic. That said, I don't remember which play in particular you were referring to, but if Zac Lee did a slide and got hit as he was doing it, I wouldn't mind seeing the rules changed to where he could be hit. If he was out of bounds and was hit, it is up to the refs to determine if it was intentional or not. I don't give a rat WHICH team it is.

Asante got a penalty for his action. Was the penalty justified? Of course. Was it worthy of the announcers calling for his ejection? Not in my opinion.

I think I remember the play. It wasn't anything terrible, just a normal late hit that was a little out of bounds. Seemed about the same as Asante's hit, if memory serves.

I had a huge problem with the announcers calling out Asante and making him out to be a dirty thug on national television. It was not intentional contact, he was looking back at the ball and it was too late for him to stop. Asante is not a dirty player/person. He's very physical and plays hard, let's remember what sport this is.

Having said that, the flag was warranted, I have no problem with that, but the announcer saying how he's a dirty player really upsets me.

They said absolutely nothing when towards the end of the game the CU player took a cheap shot and pushed one of our players down right in front of the refs way after the whistle (cant remember who).

Anyone else have a problem with this??

they shouldn't be doing that. i'm a student in play-by-play and thats a big no no to pick on a kid. i guess we could always turn him in to the FCC? :dunno

You said it yourself. "If a QB runs downfield and doesn't slide, he's fair game." Now, what happens when you hit him when he starts to slide? He doesn't have to be down, but I can assure you that out comes the penalty flag and that is why I'm calling it special treatment. They don't even want a defender to fall on the guy trying to get out of his way. I'd like to see a guy treated no differently falling forward versus beginning to slide forward. I'm not advocating hitting someone when they're down.

I'm confused. Isn't sliding (whether at the beginning or end of the slide) conceding you are down and not allowing yourself to move the ball further forward?

I think Asante should have avoided the player and instead run full speed into a metal bench on the sideline perhaps killing himself.

Ha ha! Funniest. Post. Evar.

:rollin

Asante plays hard and hits hard. We need MORE guys who hit like a freight train. Guys who make the QB go into his slide a couple of yards early.

In all honesty, there have been questionable hits this year for him, and some where he even got the penalty for it. If you are a Nebraska fan, he is just playing hard, if your not a Nebraska fan you say it is playing dirty. So I am not surprised by their comments on this.

:yeah

Regardless of our personal opinions of him, his actions can be seen as dirty if you are looking in from an outside perspective. Here's why:

1) The hit on the OU receiver. If you are not a Nebraska fan, you see this as taunting because the player is injured and is still on the ground. As a Nebraska fan, you see this as Asante being jacked up about his hit and didn't realize the player was hurt.

2) The hit on Reesing. If you are not a Nebraska fan, you see this as an absolute late hit that should warrant him being thrown out of the game. If you are Nebraska fan, you look at it as this kid is just playing hard but still know he shouldn't have done that.

3) The hit against the CU WR. I watched the replay a couple of times, and to me it honestly looked like Asante could have done a bit more to avoid the hit. He was a good 5 yards away when the guy was out of bounds, and he lowered his head and his shoulder before impact. Maybe he was protecting himself, maybe not.

He keeps putting himself in touchy situations. Call it dirty, call it playing tough. Either way, 3 times is three too many. It's also three more times than most players on the team have done anything like he has.

Kinda sounds like your calling for his head. No one on the team lowers the boom with such tenacity as Asante. That being said I also agree that is no excuse for some of the hits. But the kid makes plays. You cant have the cake and eat it too, so while Asante makes some great plays with his hits and his tenacity, he also gets excited and makes some bonehead plays.