Upset Saturday............

Apathy

I'm not trying to sound like a downer or anything but the only way we'll be Texas is if our Defense comes to play and force turnovers for TD's. We will not beat Texas next week if we don't have any turnovers that results into TD's from our Defense.

Why do some people think we'll score 20+ points against Texas when we couldn't score more than 2 TD's against VT, TT, ISU, OU. Our Offense has struggled against some of the best defenses in College Football but they've also struggled against some of the worst defenses in the Big 12 (ISU, Kansas, CU). If our Offense doesn't come out next Saturday with their heads out of their rear ends we will lose this game in a fashsion that Mizzou did last year against OU.

Their are too many kool-aid drinkers out there that are not seeing the reality of what our Offense has been playing and the inconsistancy that can not move the chains and score TD's in the redzone when it matters.

I dont know if too many people are drinking kool-aid. Most seem to know the limitations of this offense be it due to coaching, talent, play-calling, execution, etc. Many may just feel that its been discussed ad nauseum and there's no fix that we're going to see this yer. I too am sceptical that our O can score 20+, but you alluded to it yourself that scoring could come from other sources besides offense.

I'm not trying to sound like a downer or anything but the only way we'll be Texas is if our Defense comes to play and force turnovers for TD's. We will not beat Texas next week if we don't have any turnovers that results into TD's from our Defense.

Why do some people think we'll score 20+ points against Texas when we couldn't score more than 2 TD's against VT, TT, ISU, OU. Our Offense has struggled against some of the best defenses in College Football but they've also struggled against some of the worst defenses in the Big 12 (ISU, Kansas, CU). If our Offense doesn't come out next Saturday with their heads out of their rear ends we will lose this game in a fashsion that Mizzou did last year against OU.

Their are too many kool-aid drinkers out there that are not seeing the reality of what our Offense has been playing and the inconsistancy that can not move the chains and score TD's in the redzone when it matters.

As fans, it's out of our hands. Sure we can polarize it one way or the other over a message board but what we say has no impact on the outcome of the game. Remember what the board looked like the week of the OU game?

So in reality, what can you or I do about it? I'm just gonna play my role as a fan and think positive thoughts all week. I'll let the staff do their part in prepping our team.

Well, like I said in another thread, I predict a 17-14 Husker win (is that OK since it's under 20 :) ). I also predict the Huskers giving me a damn heart attack in the process. As I have said before, Texas is beatable, many thought (including myself) we didn't have a chance against OU and look what happened. Yeah, the win couldn't have been uglier on the offensive side, but who cares, it was a win. So, if that means I am drinking the koolaid in somes eyes, oh well. All I can say, is that Bo knows D and I like our chances. Plus, this is a "trap" game for UT and we have NOTHING to lose.

You just never know. Sure, the chances of our offense scoring more than 10 seem very slim, but crazier things have happened. If we open up the gameplan and have a more play-to-win mentality, the offense might surprise some people. Look at Iowa against Ohio St. They had a freshman QB and an offense that was in a shell for much of the season. No one expected them to score a point against the Buckeyes. And yet they actually made some big plays and almost pulled the upset.

Watson may not be the ultimate answer for us, but he isn't stupid. He knows what is needed for us to have a chance, and he knows it up to him to come up with whatever creative ways necessary to get what we need. If we win this game, I highly doubt it will be 10-3. Texas' offense is too good and we won't pick off McCoy five times like we did Jones in Lincoln. We will need some sustained drives and some big passing plays. We'll need 20+ points. I'm sure Watson is aware of this. He will have a gameplan. If Lee has a good game and gets some protection, we do have a chance.

saying that we are inconsistent implies that we are doing some things right, we just need to do those things more frequently. well, is it out of the realm of possibility for NU to do all those right things in one game, late in the season? (i will save you the suspense, the answer is no, it is not out of the realm of possibility.)

Yup stranger things have happened this season. I went to that OU game and I predicted that we would get beat by 20 pts but even though we struggled on Offense we pulled it off to win in Lincoln which helped out. I'd like us to beat Texas and for Suh to sack McCoy atleast once would be nice.

If we lose I hope its close like 3-10 points but if we win an ugly game I would be happy with that. With that said and the way our Offense has been playing I just don't see us scoring that many points but then again I thought that we were going to get beat by OU.

The whole "trap game for Texas" happened last week. I don't think we will see a similar performance from them this game.

but it could be a 'trap' game in that the pressure of losing causes UT to lose, that have a lot to lose. it is not like 'Bama and UF where it will be like a national championship, if this game is close UT will be overshadowed by everything they have to lose when they thought it would be a stroll to the NC. not going to the NC, the embarrassment of losing to a down NU, all the hype, the heisman... that all adds up in the psyche.

The whole "trap game for Texas" happened last week. I don't think we will see a similar performance from them this game.

:yeah

Agreed. Texas A&M plays Texas hard every year like Colorado does to us every year. It doesn't matter how good or bad Texas A&M or Colorado are they still play their rival hard in this case Texas and Nebraska.

but it could be a 'trap' game in that the pressure of losing causes UT to lose, that have a lot to lose. it is not like 'Bama and UF where it will be like a national championship, if this game is close UT will be overshadowed by everything they have to lose when they thought it would be a stroll to the NC. not going to the NC, the embarrassment of losing to a down NU, all the hype, the heisman... that all adds up in the psyche.

I always thought that a "trap game" was overlooking your current "weaker" opponent in order to play a game like you just described. Texas loses this game and they don't win the Big 12, don't go to the MNC title game and McCoy loses the Heisman. With regards to the latter, it isn't in the bag quite yet. Colt will be looking to impress to overcome the Tebow love. I honestly don't think that they are Mapquesting which In-n-Out Burger is closest to the team hotel quite yet.

The a&m game was a fluke on a normally solid defense. Lee will not give us fits with his scrambling ability. IMO, your best shot is for your defense to force turnovers and give your O a short field to work with. FGs aren't going to cut it.

Upsets happen, but the team that is heavily favored wins the majority of the time. We could beat Texas if everything goes our way and everything doesn't go theirs, but it's not likely. This is a good Texas team and we should be proud of how far we've come when we've been almost nonexistent on one side of the ball.

I hope for a good game, a stout defensive performance, and a few lucky breaks. I'd love a win, but considering the offensive team we are and the team they are, losing competitively would be fine by me. I want to get into the offseason and develop an offense so we can come out swinging next year.

All I know is I am tired of all of our analysis.

Regardless of the outcome on saturady the board will be full of the typical posts we have seen this year

I told you so..., fire Watson, Start Green, Start Lee, Start Burkhead, Start Helu, Fire Cotton, Should have ran this play, uninspired win, disgraceful lost, blah blah blah....

And I am as guilty as anyone. I ate my crow after OU and was happy to do so :D

We know our offense is inept so no reason to state the obvious and analyze the obsurd all week is there????