Should Cody Green see the field this weekend?

This one had me thinking a little bit. Earlier in the season, I was a huge proponent of the "Start Green" plan and thought he would provide at least some spark to our offense, with his athleticism. When he failed to do that, we stuck Z Lee back under center (AND NOT IN THE #$%@ SHOTGUN ALL THE TIME!), and he has done admirably thus far. He has managed the games well, and has not turned the ball over unnecessarily. He has gotten us wins as the leader of the offense. Mock it all you want, but he has taken charge and led us to five straight W's... which is all that matters.

No, by no means is this a call to arms to have Zac removed as the starting QB. He's earned that spot n that is the way it should stay. However, I remember reading a story the last few days that predicted that for us to have a shot against TU this weekend, C Green would HAVE to see the field. I cannot remember where, but I think it may have been ESPN... :espnsucks: .

Given what he has shown so far, would any of you consider slipping Cody into the game to get a new wrinkle, a new element against a good Texas D? Keep in mind... Jerrod Johnson absolutely GASHED that D last week, and C Green reminds me a lot of Johnson, although he has definitely not proven he is nearly as good a passer.

I am also a Philadelphia Eagles fan. They brought in Mike Vick in the offseason to add a little something to the offense. So far, that has worked out miserably. Mike never seems in rhythm when inserted into games, and he breaks McNabb's rhythm when he does come in.

So, what say you? Woulld any of you even consider this?

Last paragraph. Let's hope Green doesn't have to come in.

:yeah Lets hope he doesnt come in. I Thoroughly believe CG has a bright future here, but after watching him against Colorado, I in no way, shape or form see him to be ready to face a Texas defense that is light years better than CU. I think Watson becomes so conservative with CG in there, it could do nothing but hurt our chances to win.

Best way to beat Texas is not following the A&M gameplan. For one the UT defense knows that they played like S**t last thursday and my guess have seen their mistakes over and over already. Secondly Niles Paul and the Nebraska recievers are not Jeff Fuller and the A&M reciever. As a SO Fuller has 200 more recieving yards and 13 more touchdowns. The kid can straight out fly.

Johnson and Cody Green? No match on that one. Johnson can get the ball down the field where it needs to be. Cody floats passes and cannot read a defense to save his life.

There was only one or two passes caught by the A&M reciever where they wide open.

Zac Lee is the least of two evils and should play. However Wastons 1st down every 5 drives offense will not work. We need to play smash mouth and test the so called "Legion of Boom".

It seems strange that you see so many teams with their variation of the "wildcat" used from time to time but yet the Huskers never do with a perfect candidate in Cody Green. He would give us that throwing threat to at least keep the d somewhat honest. I wouldn't want to see Lee get thrown out of any rhythm but a play here or there isn't going to hurt. It should have been tried games ago and now probably isn't the time to unveil it. After last year's fiasco with trick plays against Colorado the Huskers have gone vanilla. Reverses, shovel passes, Suh in on goal line plays, all such nonsence has fallen by the wayside. Maybe good, maybe not.

I don't think this idea is as far-fetched as some people may think. Say we put green in there for a few snaps and run him out of some formations that UT hasn't seen him in. Could work, could be a disaster.

2 years ago I was playing in the 4A missouri high school campionship in the Ram's Dome. We were coming in 13-0 with high expectations. Our starting QB (a senior) had average mobility. On the first series we our Junior QB started (who is much more mobile than the other QB) and ran all over their D for the first drive. After about 5 consecutive QB runs/options he booted right and bombed about a 50 TD. It worked because our opponent had little no knowledge of our backup QB. He didnt stay in the whole game, but for 2 or 3 drives he had the opposing defense in fits. We won the game 35-0

Obviously that was high school and not the same. Of course UT knows about Cody Green but I doubt the UT coaches are expecting Green to see snaps therefore they defensive packages they have installed for Saturday are meant for an average mobility QB.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying Green should start or that he will sniff the field. I do think that it if Green was put in for a few plays he could maybe have some of the success that Jerrod Johnson had. Just a thought.

I think Watson becomes so conservative with CG in there, it could do nothing but hurt our chances to win.

I've felt like the changes made on offense for the last half of the season have been too conservative regardless of who is playing. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we are winning, but it makes Zac look like he is insecure at running the offense. It brings back fears of BC's playing-not-to-lose strategy. I think we have a chance, but I'm afraid that Zac might be afraid to take chances in fear of making a mistake. I wouldn't mind seeing CG play some snaps. He reminds me a lot of vince young, but with a bit more accuracy.

Well quite frankly, Cody Green didn't do well against Oklahoma, i mean 5 drives and no first downs. He still has a lot growing up to do, which is why i didn't think he should start but if Lee gets injured, i hope he can do the right things and manage the game well.

I think Watson becomes so conservative with CG in there, it could do nothing but hurt our chances to win.

I've felt like the changes made on offense for the last half of the season have been too conservative regardless of who is playing. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we are winning, but it makes Zac look like he is insecure at running the offense. It brings back fears of BC's playing-not-to-lose strategy. I think we have a chance, but I'm afraid that Zac might be afraid to take chances in fear of making a mistake. I wouldn't mind seeing CG play some snaps. He reminds me a lot of vince young, but with a bit more accuracy.

Zac does look very timid making decisions on the field. Sadly, it is probably partly due to the fact that Bo and Wats get in his face and let him know when he does make a mistake. Does anyone remember the Oklahoma game, when Roy fumbled that option pitch from Zac, as we were approaching the Oklahoma endzone? It was a few plays after he bust a huge run on the OU D. When Zac went back to our sideline after that fumble, Bo and Wats ABSOLUTELY lit him up.

And yes, I do think throwing Green out there, perhaps on first down, having our receivers run some simple routes (drags over the middle or in routes or something), and giving Cody a safe run/pass option may help the offense. Alas, if it were only as easy as NCAA on my xBox...