Should Cody Green see the field this weekend?

This one had me thinking a little bit. Earlier in the season, I was a huge proponent of the "Start Green" plan and thought he would provide at least some spark to our offense, with his athleticism. When he failed to do that, we stuck Z Lee back under center (AND NOT IN THE #$%@ SHOTGUN ALL THE TIME!), and he has done admirably thus far. He has managed the games well, and has not turned the ball over unnecessarily. He has gotten us wins as the leader of the offense. Mock it all you want, but he has taken charge and led us to five straight W's... which is all that matters.

No, by no means is this a call to arms to have Zac removed as the starting QB. He's earned that spot n that is the way it should stay. However, I remember reading a story the last few days that predicted that for us to have a shot against TU this weekend, C Green would HAVE to see the field. I cannot remember where, but I think it may have been ESPN... :espnsucks: .

Given what he has shown so far, would any of you consider slipping Cody into the game to get a new wrinkle, a new element against a good Texas D? Keep in mind... Jerrod Johnson absolutely GASHED that D last week, and C Green reminds me a lot of Johnson, although he has definitely not proven he is nearly as good a passer.

I am also a Philadelphia Eagles fan. They brought in Mike Vick in the offseason to add a little something to the offense. So far, that has worked out miserably. Mike never seems in rhythm when inserted into games, and he breaks McNabb's rhythm when he does come in.

So, what say you? Woulld any of you even consider this?

Damn straight Green should see the field. From the sidelines the entire game where he belongs.

I think the only reason you bring in CG is if we are down by a significant amount in the fourth quarter and it's simply garbage time. Get him some big time game experience when the game is out of reach.

Or, bring him in if Lee gets hurt or his ankle is hurting his play.

This one had me thinking a little bit. Earlier in the season, I was a huge proponent of the "Start Green" plan and thought he would provide at least some spark to our offense, with his athleticism. When he failed to do that, we stuck Z Lee back under center (AND NOT IN THE #$%@ SHOTGUN ALL THE TIME!), and he has done admirably thus far. He has managed the games well, and has not turned the ball over unnecessarily. He has gotten us wins as the leader of the offense. Mock it all you want, but he has taken charge and led us to five straight W's... which is all that matters.

No, by no means is this a call to arms to have Zac removed as the starting QB. He's earned that spot n that is the way it should stay. However, I remember reading a story the last few days that predicted that for us to have a shot against TU this weekend, C Green would HAVE to see the field. I cannot remember where, but I think it may have been ESPN... :espnsucks: .

Given what he has shown so far, would any of you consider slipping Cody into the game to get a new wrinkle, a new element against a good Texas D? Keep in mind... Jerrod Johnson absolutely GASHED that D last week, and C Green reminds me a lot of Johnson, although he has definitely not proven he is nearly as good a passer.

I am also a Philadelphia Eagles fan. They brought in Mike Vick in the offseason to add a little something to the offense. So far, that has worked out miserably. Mike never seems in rhythm when inserted into games, and he breaks McNabb's rhythm when he does come in.

So, what say you? Woulld any of you even consider this?

Damn straight Green should see the field. From the sidelines the entire game where he belongs.

Damn Right!

I have a feeling that Lee is going to get hurt and I hate to say that but after watching the Kstate game and some hits he took and it seems like they are having Zac run more now against that Texas D if he takes hits like that he will be hurt. And he is kinda banged up right now.

Im surprised by all the negative towards Green in regards to comparing him to Lee. What's Lee done thats so great? Lee's best offensive is when he hands off.

Lets revisit some history:

Lee was the guy who looked bad for 3 qrtrs against Mizzou, only to have a great 4th.

He looked bad against TT.

He wasn't the reason we lost to ISU, but he didnt bring anything to the table to win it either.

Then Green had a good first half against Baylor, and an equally bad second.

True, Green did nothing in his one qrtr of action against OU, but what did Lee do in 3 qrtrs? One FG drive? Hand-off succesfully? (Sorry, I'm not crediting him with the one-yard TD "drive".)

Lee came back with a nice first 20 minutes against KU, and did nothing after that til, again, his fantastic handing-off in the 4th qrtr.

Lee has a nice first 10 minutes against KSU, then is bad. Then he has a great first drive to start second half, then nothing.

Other than the first TD drive against CU, what did he do that was so great? Cripes he even ran the wrong way on an option call! But again, redeamed himself with some great 4th qrtr hand-offs.

Someone above actually said Green looked bad against CU? He's being judged off of 2 plays? Thats ridiculous. One was the exact same play that Lee ran earlier, and it had the same results.

I'm not trying to bash Lee. But to say that someone he's been decent, good, whatever, and Lee has been crap? Hmm...I'm just not seeing it that way. Lee wins the job based on experience, but thats it. I would have no problem seeing Green gets some PT. He shouldve gotten some in the other games.

And, regardless of whether Cody actually plays at all vs. Texas, remember one thing when weighing his performance this year: He is a true frosh who was put in command of a major college football team's offense and told to make it work (which, btw, is something that not even Wats himself has been able to do at some points this season!).

Remember that Cody was inserted into an offense that lacked identity and needed a spark. Wats seems to have the offense constantly evolving. It would be reasonable to suggest perhaps Cody just could not get a grasp on it just yet. It is not the same as the wide open spread he ran back home in Dayton.

That being said, he has shown flashes. He had a great strike to Khiry Cooper for a TD late in the Texas Tech game that was absolutely on a rope. And need I remind anyone of the 49 yard scamper vs. FAU? Now, given that was FAU, but he has still flashed ability and athletic ability so far. He just has not been consistent. However, I feel that at some point down the road, he will develop a comfort with the team. Part of his uncomfortability with playing QB at this point is just anxiety... of being a true frosh at the controls, of screwing up, and of Zac Lee waiting in the wings should he screw up. Obviously, Zac did come back in for him and I am fine with that.

However, somewhere down the road, I feel Cody will get over all that anxiety. Perhaps it will be next year. Perhaps it will be after Zac is graduated and on to new ventures. However, I think Cody is the future at the quarterback position for Nebraska. He has a live arm and is a horse running the ball. I think eventually he will take over and do great things when he starts trusting himself and the offense he is running. I just wish we could've redshirted him this year. Alas, the Spano injury made it impossible. Maybe next year.