Texas shouldn't have gotten a 'second' chance

Well from what everyone is saying, either the ball has to hit something like a rail or a person, or there has to be another reason for the review. time alone cannot be reviewed and that's exactly what happened. ive read the reason for the review was bc someone said the ball hit a rail and that simply did not happen. that I can say w 100% certainty.

Well from what everyone is saying, either the ball has to hit something like a rail or a person, or there has to be another reason for the review. time alone cannot be reviewed and that's exactly what happened. ive read the reason for the review was bc someone said the ball hit a rail and that simply did not happen. that I can say w 100% certainty.

I have heard the same. The head big 12 ref referenced the importance of the game as to why he made the call.. :blink:

I have heard the same. The head big 12 ref referenced the importance of texas winning the game as to why he made the call.. :blink:

there, fixed it for ya.

Not sure if this has been posted yet. Article from Fox Sports is below. Lots of people coming up to me because they know I am a Husker fan in So. CA asking for my reaction to the game. I would say about 80% of the people I talk to think we won and got jobbed. Yes, people want to talk about our horrible plays kicking the ball out of bounds and the horse collar (yes, I agree those were horrible plays and I was screaming when we did them). At that time I thought we were giving the game away. But then you know what? Texas gave the game back by horrible clock management and lost the game...it was over...clock at 0:00. Everyone expected Texas to win because they were within FG...but you know what they are human and made a bad play just like we had done earlier in the drive. No one wants to talk about that now...it was the biggest meltdown in clock management I have ever seen! But we all know what happened...refs bailed them out. I really have never had anything against Texas (honestly) and have never much liked Alabama...but if Alabama and Texas goes down, I hope Alabama completely destroys them.

Amen to this article.

Link:

The voters should do what the Big 12 game officials didn't have the guts to do.

That is, put Texas Christian (or Cincinnati, for that matter) into the BCS national championship game.

It's too bad it won't happen. The referees have an excuse: They work for the Big 12 Conference, which desperately needed Texas to avoid an upset by Nebraska.

The voters have no excuse. They still get to choose among undefeated teams to put in the national championship game against Alabama. But chances are, they will choose Texas.

Four times over the years, the Big 12 has screwed itself out of the national title game with a huge upset in the conference championship game. They weren't going to allow that to happen again, no matter how dominant Ndamukong Suh was for Nebraska.

Look, I don't hate the Longhorns. And I don't root for TCU, or Cincinnati ... or Nebraska. I don't hate the BCS, and I don't necessarily even crave a playoff tournament.

But that ending of the Big 12 championship game was just wrong.

Here's exactly what happened: There were 24 incomplete passes in the Texas-Nebraska game. On every one of them — every single one (I know, I went back and checked in slow motion) — the game clock ticked off that second, and sometimes another. That's how it always works in this and every other game: There's a bit of a human element (the eye sending the message to the brain, the brain relaying it to the finger on the clock button, the electronic impulses prompting the clock to stop).

And so, when Colt McCoy inexplicably decided to run a play with six seconds remaining instead of calling timeout or, well, showing any sense of urgency, he rolled out and threw the ball away, way out of bounds, as the clock ticked down to 0:00.

Nebraska rushed the field, Bo Pellini's team seemingly in possession of a sensational 12-10 triumph.

But since Texas coach Mack Brown wanted a second placed back on the clock, and because the Big 12 wanted to have a second placed back on the clock, and because all of the six major BCS conferences HAD TO HAVE a second placed back on the clock, and because the referees figured they might never have a chance to work for the league ever again if they do this wrong ... that's how it went.

So, unlike every other similar play in the game, the officials overruled the clock and put 0:01 back up on the scoreboard, and Texas ran the field goal team out there and Hunter Lawrence kicked it through.

So, since the refs felt the need to overrule the clock, the voters can always overrule the game officials. It ain't right: Texas has no business being in the title game.

Colt McCoy and especially Texas is overrated and this will be shown in BCS championship game. Alabama will OBLITERATE Texas and it could be sweet revenge if SUh goes to NYC and wins Heisman over McCoy and they show the play where he threw him on the turf like a rag doll. ROLLLLLL TIDE!!!!!!

according to what I heard on sportscenter the clock continues to run until the ball hits an object. and on sportscenter they showed it but the ball did hit the ground with 1 second left watch it on espn.com. you can see it on ESPN.com i just viewed and they made the right call and the play was reviewable.

Limitations on Reviewable Plays ARTICLE 6. No other plays or officiating decisions are reviewable. However, the replay official may correct egregious errors, including those involving the game clock, whether or not a play is reviewable. This excludes fouls that are not specifically reviewable (Reviewable fouls: Rules 12-3-2-c and d, 12-3-4-b and 12-3-5-a).

How are some of you guys not mad that this MAY have been an illegal review??? I just don't get it? If it isn't reviewable than it shouldn't have been reviewed. This should be investigated and, if they blew the call, then NU deserves a PUBLIC apology from the conference.

as i stated before it was completely legal

actually, from what i have heard and read, it might have been illegal.

How are some of you guys not mad that this MAY have been an illegal review??? I just don't get it? If it isn't reviewable than it shouldn't have been reviewed. This should be investigated and, if they blew the call, then NU deserves a PUBLIC apology from the conference.

as i stated before it was completely legal

Oh, I didn't see that. Don't worry about that investigation...

:sarcasm

look here page 143 to 146. how don't know how it can be illegal if its in the rules.

trust me, i've read all that and there is a whole thread discussing the technicalities (Thread). based on my understanding, there had to be something that required a review before the clock could be adjusted. there was nothing about the play to be reviewed. it was an obvious incompletion. thus, reviewing it solely to look at the clock was wrong.