The Watson effect

Twodocs

no one wants to play for Watson and his play calling When was the last time we had a recuit call out our play calling?

Louisiana wideout decommits from NU

Life in the Red

Lincoln Journal Star

Monday, Dec 07, 2009 - 10:45:13 pm CST

Rivals.com reports that Curtis Carter, the speedy receiver from Stonewall, La., has decommitted from the Huskers.

Carter apparently delivered the news to Husker wide receivers coach Ted Gilmore during a visit from the coach Monday night.

“I told Coach Gilmore that I was having doubts about where I fit into their offense. It was just not clicking with me because I’m a slot receiver and they’re really not using a slot receiver anymore,” Carter told Rivals.

[+]Enlarge

Carter told the recruiting Web site that he watched the Big 12 championship game, “and all they do now is run, run, run.”

The 5-foot-10, 160-pound Carter is rated by Rivals as a four-star player. He said he plans to visit Missouri and TCU.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20091207/BIGR...79958/-1/bigred

This season's offense has found its identity. It's not a pretty one, but they have it. Those players aren't going to be playing for this season's team, though, they'll be playing for next season's team. Next season's offense will have an identity all its own.

Watson has never been about just a power game and he never will be, no matter how much some people here scream for it. As long as he's here (which is at least next season), we will continue to strive for a balanced offense. They will go back to passing but still commit to some kind of run (not necessarily power).

All this amounts to is a player wanting to go somewhere else. It happens all the time. But if the Watson haters want to fap to it, more power to ya.

We've all seen the players improvements/ development on the defense side of the ball. Why aren't we seeing those same player improvements/ development on the offensive side of the ball? Are NU defensive coaches better than the NU offensive coaches?

I would say they definitely are better. I would have said that before Pelini's teams took their first snap ever. That doesn't mean all of them should be immediately replaced, though.

If this kid has watched our offense at all this year, he knows that we haven't just been "run, run, run." We've tried a variety of different plans to no avail. Maybe he did not want to be a starter on a struggling offense (because if he was any good, he'd probably start). If he only watched the Big 12 game, then his decision was a misinformed one.

Recruits will look at this situation in two ways: 1) Nebraska has no offense and I don't want to be a part of that, whether I would have more opportunities there or not; or 2) Nebraska has no offense, but they have the makings of a great team and I could probably start there and have them call plays around my abilities.

Because if a gifted wide-out came here, there's no doubt he'd be getting calls to him (we call plays to Niles Paul and his hands are blocks 30% of the time). We'll get the right guys recruited, the ones burning for the opportunity to show what they can do. Have faith.

If this kid has watched our offense at all this year, he knows that we haven't just been "run, run, run." We've tried a variety of different plans to no avail. Maybe he did not want to be a starter on a struggling offense (because if he was any good, he'd probably start). If he only watched the Big 12 game, then his decision was a misinformed one.

Recruits will look at this situation in two ways: 1) Nebraska has no offense and I don't want to be a part of that, whether I would have more opportunities there or not; or 2) Nebraska has no offense, but they have the makings of a great team and I could probably start there and have them call plays around my abilities.

Because if a gifted wide-out came here, there's no doubt he'd be getting calls to him (we call plays to Niles Paul and his hands are blocks 30% of the time). We'll get the right guys recruited, the ones burning for the opportunity to show what they can do. Have faith.

Exactly right.

It's more likely that since he is a WR that likely could have come in and played next year and be the fastest guy on the field he was thinking 1) Nebraska has no quarterback who can actually pass to save their life how would I ever see the ball?

So when Pelini doesn't fire Watson, what are you all going to do, call for Pelini's head next? Firing the OC isn't going to make recruits want to come here any more than keeping him, lol. What perception will that give the recruits? Do they want to play for, "We fire our OC after one very bad season, but don't worry, it probably won't happen again. You'll probably have the same OC you build a relationship with over your time here. Probably. Maybe, well...who knows." See, anyone can play that game.

Very well said!

And to answer Vince's question - yes, I think our DEF coaches are far better than our OFF coaches. Not all of them, across the board, but at certain positions, the difference is dramatic.

Sadly, everyone here was talking about how when Pelini came we'd get the recruits that really want to be at Nebraska. We all said that was important in a recruit for us, because it's part of what made Nebraska teams what they were. An understanding of the team's traditions and a strong desire to be a part of them.

And now where did that attitude go? This player obviously doesn't want to be a part of our traditions and so on, so probably doesn't have the attitude all of us feel Pelini and company need to recruit for. But we're mourning his loss because it feeds the fapfap of the Watson haters? C'mon.

It's more likely that since he is a WR that likely could have come in and played next year and be the fastest guy on the field he was thinking 1) Nebraska has no quarterback who can actually pass to save their life how would I ever see the ball?

Maybe so. Too bad he was so short-sighted because I think if not next year, then the year after, that position is going to be much more well-rounded. Lee is obviously not the guy, but Green has been progressed too fast this season because of injuries at the QB position. I think he has potential, we'll see. I've heard that the Gabbert kid has talent - Bo was highly praised for landing the guy. In short, this offense can only get better, Carter just won't be a part of it.

I believe he's looking at Mizzou now. If he goes there, our defense will get the opportunity to show him why he was wrong - it might be a lesson that really, really hurts. :bat

Sadly, everyone here was talking about how when Pelini came we'd get the recruits that really want to be at Nebraska. We all said that was important in a recruit for us, because it's part of what made Nebraska teams what they were. An understanding of the team's traditions and a strong desire to be a part of them.

And now where did that attitude go? This player obviously doesn't want to be a part of our traditions and so on, so probably doesn't have the attitude all of us feel Pelini and company need to recruit for. But we're mourning his loss because it feeds the fapfap of the Watson haters? C'mon.

suppose more of our offensive commits start de-commiting because they agree with Carter's line of thinking...would you still want to do nothing?