Response to Carter thread

HANC

Okay, on the Carter thread, some have posted that if Carter ends up at MU, it is not the end of the world and it would be like GAbbert going to MU...... Just becaue NU beat MU this year with Gabbert doesn't mean this will be the case every year.

Remember, he was injured EARLY in the game and was not even close to full strength. Plus, the weather really hampered a "spread attack". Look at what he did in some of his other games. This kid is going to be good, and anyone who bad mouths him is just being bitter imo.

In fact, a buddy of mine just asked yesterday how I thought this season would have gone if Gabbert would have stayed with NU? Very good question. I am not into playing "ifs and buts".......... but I will say that Gabbert appears to be head and shoulders better than Lee/Green. Everyone says that if we just had a mediocre offense that NU may be playing for a NC or at least in a BCS bowl with only 1 loss.

So, yes, if these guys go elsewhere, it isn't the end of the world, but in this case, it was probably the end of a possible NC (and in this state, almost as important as the end of the world :dunno )

We need this kid (Carter and Tyler Gabbert) and to have an "I don't care attitude is pretty arrogant considering that we are no longer at the top of college football and recruiting a kid to play here isn't as easy as it used to be.

I agree that we are 11-1 this season with Gabbert at QB... but I also believe Green will turn out better than you think.. Remember Gabbert has a season under him as a backup. This is Green's first season period. Give Green a full season before you throw him under a bus.

Okay, on the Carter thread, some have posted that if Carter ends up at MU, it is not the end of the world and it would be like GAbbert going to MU...... Just becaue NU beat MU this year with Gabbert doesn't mean this will be the case every year.

Remember, he was injured EARLY in the game and was not even close to full strength. Plus, the weather really hampered a "spread attack". Look at what he did in some of his other games. This kid is going to be good, and anyone who bad mouths him is just being bitter imo.

In fact, a buddy of mine just asked yesterday how I thought this season would have gone if Gabbert would have stayed with NU? Very good question. I am not into playing "ifs and buts".......... but I will say that Gabbert appears to be head and shoulders better than Lee/Green. Everyone says that if we just had a mediocre offense that NU may be playing for a NC or at least in a BCS bowl with only 1 loss.

So, yes, if these guys go elsewhere, it isn't the end of the world, but in this case, it was probably the end of a possible NC (and in this state, almost as important as the end of the world :dunno )

We need this kid (Carter and Tyler Gabbert) and to have an "I don't care attitude is pretty arrogant considering that we are no longer at the top of college football and recruiting a kid to play here isn't as easy as it used to be.

NU has a staff that walked into a mess and came out with two straight nine win seasons (and were damn well robbed of more). you tell me which program is headed in a better direction. do we want great players? obviously. but we're going to win with or without any given kid. these coaches will find players that fit with what we want. the only question is which recruits, fans and media are going to feel awfully dumb about doubting a program led by bo pelini and tom osborne.

I agree with both of you guys. I have not thrown Green under the bus, and didn't mean for the post to come across that way. Heck, I am calling for Green to start the Holiday Bowl. I was just saying that with Gabbert THIS season, we are probably 11-1 at worst and who knows, we may have beaten tech with an offense that could have held the ball and put points up. A NC isn't out of the question with a decent offense this season.

Absolutely I think that NU is headed in a positive direction and I am not complaining or disputing that. I am just stating that recruiting isn't as easy as it used to be here and anytime that we lose a top recruit, it is a loss. I was just using Gabbert as an example of how YES, losing 1 top guy CAN possibly make a difference in the big picture.

I agree with both of you guys. I have not thrown Green under the bus, and didn't mean for the post to come across that way. Heck, I am calling for Green to start the Holiday Bowl. I was just saying that with Gabbert THIS season, we are probably 11-1 at worst and who knows, we may have beaten tech with an offense that could have held the ball and put points up. A NC isn't out of the question with a decent offense this season.

Absolutely I think that NU is headed in a positive direction and I am not complaining or disputing that. I am just stating that recruiting isn't as easy as it used to be here and anytime that we lose a top recruit, it is a loss. I was just using Gabbert as an example of how YES, losing 1 top guy CAN possibly make a difference in the big picture.

perhaps a better way to look at this is that gabbert made a mistake (and likely knows it) and that other kids shouldn't make the same one. they might put up gaudier stats for the draftniks playing in mizzou's offense, but i want kids that want rings over all else. awards and pro careers will take care of themselves.

Next years the year boys. The stars are aligning for a magical NU season, if we get our offensive crap in order.

Yeah, we'd be much better with Blaine this year. But by no means was his decommit, or Carter's, or possibly even his lil bro's, going to spell the end of NU football.

I agree with typ3kal. Cody is the future at the QB position at Nebraska, once he gets comfortable as the man. Gabbert did play his true frosh season too, receiving time sparingly behind Chase Daniel. Hopefully, Cody takes over the O next year (or please, during the Holiday Bowl) and makes Gabbert-like strides. I think a lot of his uncomfortability/ineffective play this season was caused by it being his first season here, and being the "new" guy behind the Lee, who's been here for a while and has experience in the system. I don't think Cody could play with Lee waiting in the wings if he messed up. He was always looking over his shoulder, afraid to lose his job, knowing Wats would have no problem benching it. Once he gets over that and starts playing like he has nothing to lose, just really letting it all hang out, I think you'll see a very special quarterback.

NU has a staff that walked into a mess and came out with two straight nine win seasons (and were damn well robbed of more). you tell me which program is headed in a better direction. do we want great players? obviously. but we're going to win with or without any given kid. these coaches will find players that fit with what we want. the only question is which recruits, fans and media are going to feel awfully dumb about doubting a program led by bo pelini and tom osborne.

No, you are not going to win without kids like C Carter and Gabbert. Our recruiting is not looking so hot. Tom Osborne is not "leading this program", Bo Pelini is. He has had two somewhat successful seasons with players he did not recruit. That is good. All this "we'll soon be in an NCG" is poppycock. We are not on a par with the elite teams and unless we recruit better talent; this year might be the best we'll see in a while. All summer long C Carter was the key to our recruiting class. As soon as we try to intimidate him into not taking visits and he tells us to shove it (terrible move on Bo's part--the assistant went there most certainly with that message from Bo. ), koolaid fans start whining about C Carter and how we don't need he and Gabbert. Well we needed Gabbert's brother this year. We needed that wide reciever Misery had--heck any of them. We are not the New Orleans Saints in the North. We are a team that had a far superior defense but are also a team that got beat by Iowa State for gawdsakes.

If this crew doesn't start acting like adults ( a coach yelling out the tunnel to the opposing team that just defeated you "You should be embarrassed" only embarrasses this program...as does Pelini's whining to Osborne who dutifully tried to get him targets to vent to so Bo could get his tantrum over and stfu), no top players are going to want to play for them. Berating players or assistants, b*tching about the officiating like a big baby every week, looking like you are one inch on the fuse from going into a serial killer rampage, is not going to get it done. Oh I know it's cool now to worship Bo because of our defense and praise his "passion". The defense is good. However with Suh on board with the rest of the cast they should be number 1. Suh, a once in a lifetime player, is the guy you should credit and he won't be here next year.

Bo like Muschamp of Texas has a great firey, somewhat out of control temperment that is perhaps fine for an assistant coach or a coordinator. Not sure kids are going to flock to a program with that sort of head coach. the My way or the highway message Bo sent to C Carter seems to show you how that works out with good athletes. He seems to have a lot to learn about dealing with players and subordinates in a manner that makes people look up to him and want to work with him and play for him. My guess, unless he learns and changes, two years he gets the same treatment from TO that Perkins did to Mangino--the "coach of the year" in 2007.

JustMHO

No, you are not going to win without kids like C Carter and Gabbert. Our recruiting is not looking so hot. Tom Osborne is not "leading this program", Bo Pelini is. He has had two somewhat successful seasons with players he did not recruit. That is good. All this "we'll soon be in an NCG" is poppycock. We are not on a par with the elite teams and unless we recruit better talent; this year might be the best we'll see in a while. All summer long C Carter was the key to our recruiting class. As soon as we try to intimidate him into not taking visits and he tells us to shove it (terrible move on Bo's part--the assistant went there most certainly with that message from Bo. ), koolaid fans start whining about C Carter and how we don't need he and Gabbert. Well we needed Gabbert's brother this year. We needed that wide reciever Misery had--heck any of them. We are not the New Orleans Saints in the North. We are a team that had a far superior defense but are also a team that got beat by Iowa State for gawdsakes.

If this crew doesn't start acting like adults ( a coach yelling out the tunnel to the opposing team that just defeated you "You should be embarrassed" only embarrasses this program...as does Pelini's whining to Osborne who dutifully tried to get him targets to vent to so Bo could get his tantrum over and stfu), no top players are going to want to play for them. Berating players or assistants, b*tching about the officiating like a big baby every week, looking like you are one inch on the fuse from going into a serial killer rampage, is not going to get it done. Oh I know it's cool now to worship Bo because of our defense and praise his "passion". The defense is good. However with Suh on board with the rest of the cast they should be number 1. Suh, a once in a lifetime player, is the guy you should credit and he won't be here next year.

Bo like Muschamp of Texas has a great firey, somewhat out of control temperment that is perhaps fine for an assistant coach or a coordinator. Not sure kids are going to flock to a program with that sort of head coach. the My way or the highway message Bo sent to C Carter seems to show you how that works out with good athletes. He seems to have a lot to learn about dealing with players and subordinates in a manner that makes people look up to him and want to work with him and play for him. My guess, unless he learns and changes, two years he gets the same treatment from TO that Perkins did to Mangino--the "coach of the year" in 2007.

JustMHO

well, since we are not going to have blaine or carter apparently, i can damn well bet you we'll win without them. we're winning without blaine already and i don't think losing one receiver is going to slow us down. while we certainly want top talent, it's more important that we get kids that are ready to bust their ass for rings, not just individual needs.

and yes, pelini and watson do lean on osborne for advice in how to run a program and an offense. if you don't think that is an enormous advantage, then you know even less about college football than i already thought. we just outplayed the #2 team in the country. we almost took down vatech at their place. are we elite yet? of course not, but to pretend we aren't getting closer is ludicrous.

it is even more ridiculous that you think players won't want to play for bo or coaches coach for him. you go talk to the kids that play for him. hell, you don't even have to, just watch how hard they play for him. now, go back and watch film from two years ago and tell me if you can see a difference.

and to complain about bo being a yeller, the humanity! do you even know who bob devaney was? do you think nick saban and bob stoops kiss their players' asses? kids respond to fiery coaches as long as they show that have the players' best interests at heart. i think bo has stood up for these kids every chance he gets and they have responded to it. i don't know if you watched LSU win the title a couple of years ago with bo as DC, but if you did, perhaps you saw who the kids dumped gatorade on at the end and took turns hugging.

really the only thing in your post that isn't compete bunk is the bit about the tunnel. carl was wrong to yell back at texas, and i'm sure he regrets it. on the other hand, bo was absolutely correct to be enraged and to find the correct people to be enraged with. if you think osborne wasn't angry as well and just runs errands to make bo happy, then i don't think you understand what exactly took place the other night. perhaps rather than going along with the world herald's recent efforts to display bo as some kind of maniac, you should re-watch the end of the game where bo perfectly calmly continues to coach his team and try to win the game on the field goal try immediately after the officials shafted him.

i hope you get used to being unhappy with a successful pelini regime, as it's going to be here for a while.

Dylan:

Like I said, I agree with almost everything you have written. Yes, we are winning without Blane Gabbert, but only 9 wins instead of probably 10-11 (obviously hypothetical....but he is better RIGHT NOW than who we have).

And yes, we will continue to win without the recruits who decommit. But with our lack of true "playmakers" at WR, I disagree, losing one WR could slow us down. Because, losing 1 qb with Gabbert "slowed" us down this year......BIG TIME.

I know that decommits happen all of the time and has happened and will always happen. I just get tired of seeing posters respond with the "good-bye" attitude, when actually, we could really use some of these kids.

Hell, what if Lewis (LB at OU) would have stayed ? One great athlete can make a class, and Carter appeared to be one of the "headliners" in this class.

Dylan:

Like I said, I agree with almost everything you have written. Yes, we are winning without Blane Gabbert, but only 9 wins instead of probably 10-11 (obviously hypothetical....but he is better RIGHT NOW than who we have).

And yes, we will continue to win without the recruits who decommit. But with our lack of true "playmakers" at WR, I disagree, losing one WR could slow us down. Because, losing 1 qb with Gabbert "slowed" us down this year......BIG TIME.

I know that decommits happen all of the time and has happened and will always happen. I just get tired of seeing posters respond with the "good-bye" attitude, when actually, we could really use some of these kids.

Hell, what if Lewis (LB at OU) would have stayed ? One great athlete can make a class, and Carter appeared to be one of the "headliners" in this class.

Also Dylan: You said the staff knows what they want on offense and they will recruit players to get the job done. It really seems like they don't know what the hell they want on offense, especially at qb. You go out and get Green a complete dual threat who is more of a runner by far. Then you go out and get Gabbert who is in more of the Ganz mold. Then the next year it appears their top target is Turner, another complete dual threat. What are they going to run? Spread with west coast passing? If that's the case then Green and Turner aren't the right fits. Are they going to run a spread like Oregon's or even Florida's? If so then Gabbert more than likely isn't the right fit. For the coaches to go out and just get the best qb available then change the offense to whatever they do best is a recipe for disaster. It doesn't even look like Wats is able to alter his plan to do what is best considering in the 13th game of the season and against a superior defense he still tried to run the option.

Also Dylan: You said the staff knows what they want on offense and they will recruit players to get the job done. It really seems like they don't know what the hell they want on offense, especially at qb. You go out and get Green a complete dual threat who is more of a runner by far. Then you go out and get Gabbert who is in more of the Ganz mold. Then the next year it appears their top target is Turner, another complete dual threat. What are they going to run? Spread with west coast passing? If that's the case then Green and Turner aren't the right fits. Are they going to run a spread like Oregon's or even Florida's? If so then Gabbert more than likely isn't the right fit. For the coaches to go out and just get the best qb available then change the offense to whatever they do best is a recipe for disaster. It doesn't even look like Wats is able to alter his plan to do what is best considering in the 13th game of the season and against a superior defense he still tried to run the option.

ganz wasn't a dual threat? lil' gabbert is supposedly at least as mobile as ganz. and what on earth makes you think green wouldn't be able to run the spread/coast offense we saw late last year? is he too good of a runner? what makes you think he can't pass? and for that matter, what makes you think gabbert couldn't operate in oregon or florida's spreads?

i think it's fairly obvious the coaches want a kid that can throw the ball and has mobility. not sure what's confusing about that.

i agree i'd like to see where the offense is going, but i don't see how recruiting QB's that are all mobile, and presumably all can pass, is a problem for you. also, as i stated in the other thread, i will presume watson was telling the truth when he said he wants to go back to the spread coast offense we saw last season until we see reason to think otherwise.

and by the way, you might want to look up cody green's high school passing stats before you assume he is more of a runner by far. just because he hasn't mastered the offense in his first year doesn't mean he won't develop into a passing threat or that the coaches didn't recruit him to be one.

and by the way, you might want to look up cody green's high school passing stats before you assume he is more of a runner by far. just because he hasn't mastered the offense in his first year doesn't mean he won't develop into a passing threat or that the coaches didn't recruit him to be one.

You might to want to look at his tapes, a ton of Cody's stats came off of bubble screens and YAC by Dugat when he was there. I still wish we could have got Dugat at the same time with Cody :(

well you might want to go back and look at the passes that he did throw. all bubble screens and crossing patterns/posts to Dugat and Dugat did the rest. It was far from the west coast offense. Ganz was a little bit of a dual threat and could run yes, but he was by far a better passer than a runner. I agree with you saying they want a qb who can pass with mobility but there is a huge difference in recruiting guys that can pass very well and run when they have to and guys that run very well and can pass in a high school offense. it's not going to be very easy for a kid to come in and run a west coast system who has been running a run oriented spread with screen passing game in high school. why do you think daniel was so successful? he ran basically the same offense in high school and so did Gabbert for the most part. That's fine if they want to run a system like they did last year but then don't recruit guys that are MORE runners than they are passers, recruit passers who can run.