Is Watson already gone?

one thing I wouldn't rule out, is that Dr. Tom has told the staff he would teach them this stuff.

if the staff is on board, this could really allow them to expand their horizons and learn even more professionally.

I do think Shawn would be down with that.

I think it will take 2 years, and Bo might not be patient enough for that.

I am expecting to see option football this spring.

I seriously doubt we're going to run an option based offense.

Pelini is a get it done in the trenches guy on defense, so I would say look for a power running type offense that wears down defenses. Running off-tackle, traps, draws, sweeps, and screens will be on the menu with a QB who can run if the passing lanes aren't open.

I seriously doubt we're going to run an option based offense.

Pelini is a get it done in the trenches guy on defense, so I would say look for a power running type offense that wears down defenses. Running off-tackle, traps, draws, sweeps, and screens will be on the menu with a QB who can run if the passing lanes aren't open.

and that's not an option offense?

As fun as our old offense was under Osborne, let's not only look at it over the final few years. There were far too many times when we got ourselves in a dogfight where we had to score quickly to come back, and couldn't.

I want an offense that includes elements of power running AND the real ability to throw down field when necessary. I can't remember more than a few decent passers in the Osborne Option Era - Gill, Gdowski and Taylor. All too often our inability to pass the ball bit us hard when teams stacked the box.

Can anyone remember a game where we were down late, had to pass, and were successful at it during the last 15 years of Osborne? 1997 Missouri with Scott Frost comes to mind; the last-minute drive with like 1:17 on the clock and Davison's catch off Wiggins' foot is about the only time I can remember working our way down field under duress like that.

People need to get a clue, the thing that made TO's offense so dangerous was...TO! Well, Tenopir and the rest of the assistants didn't hurt matters either.

That playbook that they ran is available on the internet, just because you can download it, doesn't mean you can actually use it or teach it. Solich spent 19 years under TO and couldn't keep it going after TO retired. But surely TO can get the merry band of offensive ineptitude to learn it in a few short months.

I love TO and the offense of the past as much as the next guy, but to think that this staff can, or should execute it is purely insane.

:boxosoap

Next Year I can really only see us fitting into 2 philosophies

1) Pistol: The Pistol Offense is an offense that features a quarterback in a short three yard shotgun and a running back three yards behind him. Upon the quarterback receiving the direct snap he may turn around and hand the ball off to the running back behind him, look up to pass or execute the option from the "pistol" with the running back. The advantage of this offense is that it gives the quarterback an opportunity to read the defense without the disadvantages of a normal shotgun such as signaling a pass play. It also allows the runningback an opportunity to run downhill as opposed to the shotguns normal sideways angles. This offense was innovated by current Nevada head coach Chris Ault. While the Wolfpack is the only school that uses this offense as their primary offense it has been seen throughout high school and college football.[citation needed]The Pistol has now even made the leap to the NFL in brief instances by some teams or regularly by the 2008 Kansas City Chiefs with Tyler Thigpen at quarterback.

2) The Wing T : The Wing T offense can be grouped into two major types. The first is the "Delaware," named after the college that first used the offense.[citation needed] This offense generally uses two running backs and the quarterback to move the ball, with a degree of passing. The other type is the "Bay City," also named after the college that first used it. The Bay City uses three running backs and the quarterback. This offense can be used in either power running or run fakes, and passes less than the Delaware offense.[citation needed]

In both types of the Wing T, the key to the offense is the linemen. A large majority of the plays are done by trapping or pulling one or more of the linemen; this includes passing as well as running plays. This offense also carries out extreme fakes. The Bay City will sometimes have the QB and all three RBs carrying out run fakes well past the line of scrimmage. The Delaware, when run properly, will do the same, but only the HB and FB will do the run fakes and the QB typically fakes a pass play. In both offenses, teams are power rushing plays, with the Bay City better suited due to its personnel makeup.[citation needed]