Is Watson already gone?

A "source close to the situation" told me tonight that Watson is not gone. Not at this point.

There's more that I cannot talk about right now. Nothing is set in stone at this time.

I guess what I can say is, there will be an evaluation and a decision on a direction coming up at a later date.

Reading into that, my speculation is that the direction we're going in won't include the skills guys like Gabbert and Carter possess, they were made aware of the situation, and they've moved on because of that. I think we're being pretty far above-board with these guys, giving them the chance to make a better decision for themselves, a more informed decision. And that's what I would expect from Nebraska, so it seems to fit.

Interesting

Did they give a timeline, like before the bowl or after the bowl when a decision will be made on Wats or any other coach?

The decision isn't really being made on a coach. It's being made on a philosophy. Coaches can either get on board with that philosophy or not.

There was no time line given, but my speculation is that they would say "here's where we're going" soon, and the staff will need to decide if they want to go there pretty quickly after the bowl game.

Tyler Gabbert talked to Brian Christopherson on the phone today (it's in the LITR blogs), and he said he took a look at the recruiting we've done recently, all the linemen and running backs, and decided we weren't going in his direction, which is throwing the ball 40 times a game. I would say he's right on, and that the Watson Coast Offense is soon to be a thing of the past. I'm guessing we'll see a Zone Read or a power running game with "keep 'em honest" passes sprinkled throughout.

If Wats thinks that's an offense he can and wants to run, my guess is he'll stay and get to work scheming. If not....

Did they give a timeline, like before the bowl or after the bowl when a decision will be made on Wats or any other coach?

The decision isn't really being made on a coach. It's being made on a philosophy. Coaches can either get on board with that philosophy or not.

There was no time line given, but my speculation is that they would say "here's where we're going" soon, and the staff will need to decide if they want to go there pretty quickly after the bowl game.

Tyler Gabbert talked to Brian Christopherson on the phone today (it's in the LITR blogs), and he said he took a look at the recruiting we've done recently, all the linemen and running backs, and decided we weren't going in his direction, which is throwing the ball 40 times a game. I would say he's right on, and that the Watson Coast Offense is soon to be a thing of the past. I'm guessing we'll see a Zone Read or a power running game with "keep 'em honest" passes sprinkled throughout.

If Wats thinks that's an offense he can and wants to run, my guess is he'll stay and get to work scheming. If not....

It makes sense. When he had Chris Brown at Colorado they ran one hell of a power game with over 3200 yards rushing/2000 yards passing.

If this is the direction they want to go wouldn't you go out and target someone that is known for running that type of offense instead of trying to force someone in the situation? I remember hearing about TO pretty much changing his entire O and we all know how that turned out but that doesn't happen too often without a few years at least of struggles. If I were Wats and I decided to stay I'd be getting on quite a few planes in the off season to study how teams like Bama (could be wierd for him) Stanford, UCONN and maybe Pitt all run their o's and blocking schemes bc it seems like they do a damn good job running a power run game. It might not be a bad idea to pick Snyder's brain too, bc he did wonders this year.

Thx for the insight.I think thats a smart move by Bo, the first thing that needs to be done about the offense is to change the whole f^cking philosophy. Burn the west coast playbook, we dont need 500 f^cking plays.

But regardless of whether the coaches 'get on board' or not, Barney Cotton & Ted Gilmore absolutely need to go, they flat out suck at their jobs.

If this is the direction they want to go wouldn't you go out and target someone that is known for running that type of offense instead of trying to force someone in the situation? I remember hearing about TO pretty much changing his entire O and we all know how that turned out but that doesn't happen too often without a few years at least of struggles. If I were Wats and I decided to stay I'd be getting on quite a few planes in the off season to study how teams like Bama (could be wierd for him) Stanford, UCONN and maybe Pitt all run their o's and blocking schemes bc it seems like they do a damn good job running a power run game. It might not be a bad idea to pick Snyder's brain too, bc he did wonders this year.

Have fun spending all that money....while I am being Watson, I am just going to get some game film and stay in Lincoln.

I'm not saying fire every assistant on offense. I wouldnt mind seeing cotton, gilmore and watson go, hire a new OC and have him bring a couple with him so we don't have to spend have of the season again mixing and matching offenses. I guess I would rather have to spend money to get the o down then save money to go through another season or two even remotely like the one I watched this season.

I think Brown is a very good position coach but he has absolutely no experience calling plays and I really don't want to have to start over again and try to mix and match what people think will work and what this coach has experience running and so on. I want an OC that knows what he specializes in whether that be the spread or power running or whatever. I mean you look at the new OC Auburn got and that's obviously not someone who walked in there and said well I've run this before do you guys want to put your spin on it? I really think either Wats or a new one needs to be like ok this is my offense this is how it's going to look teach it this way and we'll be fine.

I'm not saying fire every assistant on offense. I wouldnt mind seeing cotton, gilmore and watson go, hire a new OC and have him bring a couple with him so we don't have to spend have of the season again mixing and matching offenses. I guess I would rather have to spend money to get the o down then save money to go through another season or two even remotely like the one I watched this season.

The new OC should be allowed to bring in whatever staff he wants. If that means he wants to fire every single offensive coach (including Brown & Beck) thats fine with me. If he wants to keep them thats fine with me 2